What Age Did You Retire - Poll

Age You Retired  

212 members have voted

1. 1. What age did you retire from full time work?

Was very fortunate to be in the position to retire in SEPT 2014 at age 54 years, 10 months after 28 years of military service, followed by 5 years of federal civil service. "She who must be obeyed" & I just purchased our first coach (35' Fleetwood Bounder) in Spring 2014 and have just struck out open our first "extended" trip (3 months) just over a week ago! SO FAR, SO GOOD!!! Wish us luck!! :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple months short of 5 years retired out at 61 presently on our 13 volunteer position. I like hard work better than wasting time in a gym and there's something accomplished when your done. Wife is a birder and there are different birds everywhere we go. Life is good.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

You left off the older ages for retirement. I retired from my regular job at 69 and am still working part-time teaching online college classes at age 71!

Seniors are continuing to work longer these days, so the statistics show. I can't imagine entirely retiring because I think it keeps me mentally and physically younger. It also gives me a good supplement to social security so I can continue full-timing without digging into my savings.

I find it interesting that 48% are in the 56 - 62 group with second most at 51 - 55 with 26%. That does seem to fit with most fulltimers that we have known over the years, although I never actually kept any records so that is mostly a guess. I'm pretty sure that most of the people we have known on the road were of the younger retirement group.

There was a group that put together a rally for the old "RV America" web forum back in 2000 and of the six couples who put it together only one couple were past 60 and they just past. The youngest was just turned 50 with the rest between. All were just beginning fulltime living and the first off of the road was also the oldest of the group. The last to get a home-base again was just this past year.

You left off the older ages for retirement. I retired from my regular job at 69 and am still working part-time teaching online college classes at age 71!

By the standard of many here, you are retired. It seems that you have ended your career, even though you still work for pay. We didn't stop working, we just stopped expecting pay for the work that we do and we have become very selective in who we will work for or with! And those of us who have 401k/IRA savings, we are required to draw from it once we pass 70 1/2 years of age. We at first were reluctant to spend that money, but realized that we probably have no more than 20 more years to do things and so we have begun to do that. To date our fund growth has matched or exceeded the annual withdrawals so we expect to do this for some time. Our next withdrawal will be spent taking a trip "down under" to visit Bruce T! :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I retired in 2008 at 62 with plans to start full timing, but, Kathy [my wife] developed a coupla' limiting medical issues, so we moved closer to her familys' and bought another house. I recently bought an inexpensive 5th wheel and have been repairing and upgrading it to at least get some short trips in. I have zero regrets about my life path, well, I was unhappy with my career choice, but, it was a path that led to a fairly comfortable retirement, so, it worked out. Kat "retired" in '86 for medical reasons without benefits...I am as pleased with our lives as I can be. I love not having a "job"

2003 Coachman Chaparal 276 RLS

2000 F250, 7.3l auto ext. cab 4x4

Wow, this thread has been so informative on many levels. I'm certain my wife and I are not the only ones having doubts about whether early retirement is the right thing to do -- from a financial perspective. We've met with a financial/retirement advisor more of less annually over the past 7 years when we finally came to the decision that was our plan. The numbers say we can and now I'm down to my last full year... still hard to believe and has a pinch of white knuckle.

There seems little debate that those who have decided to leave full time, career work, as early as they could, has been the right decision (maybe I missed it, but no regrets that I saw). While I've enjoyed my 30 year career, I like the idea of no longer being tied to it better. My wife and I have traveled very little and there is so much of these great United States that we want to see (and fish) that vacation schedule simply limits. It takes me several days to forget about the office and it creeps back into my head days before the trip is nearing its end. Being free of that is indeed attractive.

Another take-away for me is that money, as they say, isn't everything...unless you make it so. Having been thinking about an early retirement option quite early in our lives, we structured our savings and spending accordingly. Staying another 3-5 years would take us from a "should be no issue" to a "no doubt about it" decision. But you don't get the years back and we must all put a price on what those are worth.

Interestingly, the poll distribution is fairly Gaussian and more or less what I would have expected -- except that there are more pre age 50 retired than I would have thought. I wonder if the Baby-boomers are influencing that?

It's really interesting hearing how folks have made this big life decision and how it has worked out.

At 66 years of age, completed 46 years teaching ( HS, science, math & physical education--college, physical education, first aid, health, PE major theory classes) and coached football (21 years high school--25 years college)--HS also coached track, wrestling, swimming. There has been a whole wide world of travel and new things to do following a life time of being so focused on a great job that allowed very little time for the things we enjoy now. Wish each of you who have figured a way to retire happy traveling for 2015--make it a good day!

I just retired Jan. 1 at age 58. We are doing the final touches to our house to put on the market and a few upgrades to our coach. We will be living on our 401-k money completely until age 62 when we hopefully get SS.

Larry and Debbie Jenkins

2002 Travel Supreme DSO2

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 4x4

McKinney, TX

I retired at 63 due to medical issues. Wife continued to run our small business until last spring. We decided to sell our home in Dallas, bought a smaller home in SW Florida and our 4th RV, a 31' Class C. We are involved in developing new businesses where we will travel. So yes, we are retired, but not stopped.

Archived