What Age Did You Retire - Poll

Age You Retired  

212 members have voted

1. 1. What age did you retire from full time work?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am probably the odd man out here but I still very much enjoy working. I could say I retired when I left the Air Force after 27 years but really that was only a change of employment for me. The first job I had out of the Air Force was in public accounting and while it paid well enough, it didn't give me the satisfaction I need from working. My plan was to only work until 62. At age 58 I came up with my current job that is way more fun than work and I don't know when I will be ready to give it up. We are very comfortable financially and it's not the money that keeps me working. In fact I would be willing to do my job as a volunteer if we ever lost our federal funding. My job allows me to work when I want and from wherever I happen to be so my wife and I have a lot of freedom (including financial freedom) when it comes to travel as well as our many other hobbies. I have no desire to be a full time RV-er but if I did, my job would not stand in the way.

Bobby Bowden, the former coach of Florida State once stated, "After you retire, there's only one big event left and I ain't ready for that."

I will have to disagree with Bobby Bowden. I think that mentality comes from those that love their job, and I envied them, when I was still working. We feel retiring will be starting the new life we have been dreaming of for so long. We both know fulltiming is not all Mai Tais and Yahtzee, but neither of us feel the rat race and golden hancuffs are " living".

Since last Thursday, my official retirement day, I have such a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. The stress release far outweighs the stress of not having my income.

Hubby and I have never liked our jobs, and have been counting down to full time rv'ng for 16 years. Both of our jobs have killed us, mentally, and physically for the last 25 years, and hanging it up will the best thing we ever did for our health.

We are comfortable financially, since we have lived very well below our means for a long time, but looking at future inflation, we know we will run out of money, and we are prepared for that. In the long run for us, it comes down to money or health. We choose to live!

Best of luck and congrats on your new life Tex.

On edit... Sorry Mr Mayer, but I feel retirement has nothing to do with pension or income. It means having the freedom follow your dreams, and enjoy everything you have been working hard for your entire life.

2007 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW

Keystone Everest 5'r

On edit... sorry Mr Mayer, but I feel retirement has nothing to do with pension or income. It means having the freedom follow your dreams, and enjoy everything you have been working hard for your entire life.

Technically you are correct. The definition of retirement is typically "the act of leaving one's job and ceasing to work". It speaks nothing of income.

That said, most people's view of "retirement" is that you do not work and have a source of income. "Most" people, in my experience, in the US and Canada view that as when you have a pension or social security to draw on. But technically that is not the definition.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Guest ticat900

On edit... Sorry Mr Mayer, but I feel retirement has nothing to do with pension or income. It means having the freedom follow your dreams, and enjoy everything you have been working hard for your entire life.

I think that's more of a personal statement or opinion verses the reality of things overall. There are very very few people whom retire who do not have" pension or income"as Number one on the must have list.

I'm in the same boat as many others, which job? Last one was forced retirement at 58, while environmental site manager for ABB due to plant closings/sale of business. When GM contacted me to remediate some closed plants due to contamination issues, I politely declined. Retirement is good.

My decisions were strongly influenced by a friend. He waited until 65 to retire for maximum benefits from SS and Westinghouse pension fund. He retired, next week was working in his yard and suffered a fatal heart attack_with his first retirement check still due. He had several investments too, and never saw the fruits of his labor.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

My wife and I both retired in 2007. She was 61, I was 62. We had no pension, but had a fair amount of assets in IRAs. However, the stock market promptly crashed, so I accepted part-time contract work from my former employer. Working part-time I earned up to the allowable Social Security maximum for the next 6 years. The biggest negative surprise - after the market crash, - was the cost of medical insurance between ages 62 and 65. A real horse-choker! But then Medicare kicked in and we got a nice "raise" when our medical premiums were cut by two-thirds. The stock market also recovered! We own a small townhouse (paid for) in southern Oregon, and spend two winter months a year in southern Nevada, Arizona, and California in our small fifth wheel camper. We spend another month in the summer at the Oregon / Washington coast. My wife and I go to the gym three days a week when we are home. We recently started a low-carb diet and have both lost weight and feel great! All in all a good life. And absolutely no regrets about retiring at 62!

2001 Komfort 22FS with Sofa Slide and 135 watts of 4-way tilt solar.

2003 Ford F250 5.4L 2WD

Don't laugh - it's all paid for!

I am a very different example of retirement. In April of 1977 the DW and I took delivery of a baby and a 32-foot "kit" cruising sailboat. I spent the next 2.5 years alternately working 28-days on and 28-days off on offshore drill ships; while I was "off" I spent most of my time building the interior and exterior of the cruising yacht. The DW helped when she could but between a full time job and a new baby she had little spare time.

By the summer of 1980 the boat was in the water and equipped and ready for long-distance cruising. We had done a preliminary 30-day shakedown cruise along the western coast of Vancouver Island (Canada) and were ready to leave. We returned to the US in 1985. Along with a second baby....

I was 37 years old when we left. I promised my wife that if we did this then I would happily work the rest of my life after we returned.

I lied.

At least mostly. Since 1985 I have "retired" from a couple different careers but, just like a smallpox vaccination that doesn't "take", I am still mostly working. Partly because the DW is 13 years younger than I am (I dunno what I was think.... oh, wait.... now I remember what I was thinking) and partly because I'm good at what I do and have no problems making money doing it.

So, when the DW retires at age 62 (3 years hence) then I'll probably "retire" again. Mostly. Probably.

I write this in our motor home at the SKP "Park Sierra" in Coarsegold, CA. We were planning to go to Quartzite and only stay here a day or two but it was so nice here... what with great WIFi, warm weather. friendly people, great view, no dust, and good Jeeping and mountain biking, we have managed to just stay here. We leave to go home and back to work on the 15th. But it has been superb.

So we are thinking about joining the co-op here and using this as our southern home base.

But with good Internet I can still work...

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

By the summer of 1980 the boat was in the water and equipped and ready for long-distance cruising. We had done a preliminary 30-day shakedown cruise along the western coast of Vancouver Island (Canada) and were ready to leave. We returned to the US in 1985. Along with a second baby....

I was 37 years old when we left. I promised my wife that if we did this then I would happily work the rest of my life after we returned.

I lied.

That sounds like it was a total adventure!!

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

I think that's more of a personal statement or opinion verses the reality of things overall. There are very very few people whom retire who do not have" pension or income"as Number one on the must have list.

I see retirement as much like being a fulltimer. You probably are if you believe that you are. Since we don't all have the same definition of the term, we can't tell you who is or who isn't retired. I believe that I am retired because no employer has the power to tell me what to do or when to do it. When I work it is volunteering and I can simply leave at any moment. That freedom is what makes me retired, because freedom was my goal when I was employed.

If I had to define being retired, it would be the point in life where you can do what you wish, when you wish and change directions or goals by whim!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I like that Kirk.. We have the financial were with all to do what do otherwise we could not do it. We may be employed from time to time but it does not hold us anywhere.

We began to plan for retirement 10 years before we hooked up and pulled out. We had to be financially able to maintain our lifestyle and we developed a plan to do that. We did not want to lower our quality of life in retirement. Our plan worked and we were able to hit the road the week after wife retired.

In our 8 year adventure we have meet folks who retired for many reasons. Forced retirement, company went belly up. Folks being very successful .We have met folks with varying level of income from very low to not having to worry about finances.

"If I had to define being retired, it would be the point in life where you can do what you wish, when you wish and change directions or goals by whim!"

" the comment by Kirk is a very good one although not does not apply to everyone. There are many folks on "forced retirement" who must work every day to survive. Those of us who fit Kirks definition are the very fortunate ones.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

The definition of retirement is.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=what+is+retirement

To me if you are working for someone you are not retired. No matter if you can come and go as you please. If you are getting something in return for a service provided you are working for someone.

Jeff :)

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

The definition of retirement is.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=what+is+retirement

To me if you are working for someone you are not retired. No matter if you can come and go as you please. If you are getting something in return for a service provided you are working for someone.

Jeff :)

I won't disagree with that but there is a big difference when you are retired from your career job and choose to be employed vs being retired and must work to survive. We can walk away at any time .We work to keep active and it is not what I would call any kind of hard work. Wife and I are retired and receive a pension that provides us with all our living and travel expenses. We are both employed very part time because we choose to. There is a Big Difference.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I'm in Rich's camp on this one. I think he and Kirk have it pretty much nailed....

I'm retired but I work some (5 months a year)....because I like to. And I get paid. But not a "living wage". I can walk at any time and it would have zero effect on our lifestyle. So, I guess I'm retired. :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Guest Pensauncola

If I had to define being retired, it would be the point in life where you can do what you wish, when you wish and change directions or goals by whim!

That's exactly how I define being single.

I was 59y 11m when I retired. DW was 54y 11m, when she retired 4 months later.

Small pension, and one now very expensive PPO option for the Group Retirement Health Care Plan. We both had good 401K plans, and later Roth 401K, along with very careful disciplined investing in a brokerage account.

It took me, and the Financial Planner we brought into the retirement shifting phase, three months to convince my wife that 'We're OK!'...

I'm a firm believer in getting out and getting going on whatever you enjoy ASAP!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

After being self employed for 30 years. I am waiting for the buyer of my business to take it over in the next couple weeks. I am 53. :-)

I will let you know if I have any regrets in a few years.

I'm doing the same as you! Selling my business after 26yrs, and retiring at 53 to pursue full timing! I'm in the process of training the buyer, and downsizing. If all goes as planned we'll be on the road, summer 2016!

2005 Foretravel U270

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 

2016 Polaris RZR Turbo

Both DW & I retired in 93 she age 56 yours truly age 57, absolutely no regrets. Enjoying our retirement immensely taking a couple of trips in our coach each year, WA state in summer and the RGV in winter.

Safe journeys to all...... :)

Jim & Sherry Seward

2000 Residency Mod. 3790

2003 Suzuki XL/7 4WD

Archived