What Age Did You Retire - Poll

Age You Retired  

212 members have voted

1. 1. What age did you retire from full time work?

Retired at 57 and am now 68 and so far very nice. My company was providing a free retirement seminar which me and DW was attending. About half way through me and DW looked at each other and said why are we still working? I was lucky I made maximum contributions to 401K and a good company match. Also during the .com era the return was high. I was lucky also as I goof Financial Adviser who handles my investments after roll over from 401K. We withdraw a fixed amount annually to fum my Active Assets account even during the economy down turn never went below or original investment. Not to say we did not lose money most everyone did. We are back on the road to recovery of that lose and living really well. Have excellent company paid health insurance which is now supplemental to Merdicare which takes a huge burden of cost off of us.

I tell everyone to not be like my Dad who worked until forced to retire and medical problems etc prevented enjoyment of retirement; if you can retire early not later. Oh and absolutely no regrets!!! :)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This post helped a lot...retired on 2/14/14 at the age of 52...we went FT on 2/28 when we closed on the house. I have missed the day to day conversations and some of the politics...but heck, after reading this I think I may be "cured". Why wait? Take off and enjoy it while you can!

God never promised us a quiet journey, only a safe arrival.

Full time since February 28, 2014

Momentum 380

Retired in 2009 after 32 years because company offered a good package to get rid of us old timers. Started a engineering consulting company the week after and my first contract was with the company I retired from. For that I charged them twice as much as before. LOL!

Worked two more years ... Had a stroke. The place was not only driving me nuts as I thought. Retired again. Will work small contracts and had many offers but my skill set is quickly becoming obsolete. Computer industrial controls advance very fast. Looking forward to doing some work camping ... Sounds like fun to me.

Don't stop moving or they will throw dirt on your face ...

Retired yesterday 1-8-2105 for medical reasons at 47. DH is retiring in March at 54. As soon as all medical issues are handled, will be selling our primary residence and hitting the road. No pension, no work camping. Just gone!

2007 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW

Keystone Everest 5'r

Technically, my DH retired and once he did, I walked into the office and gave my notice, at age 50. We sold the house and have been on the road ever since. No regrets. IF we run out of money, we will find something fun to do.

Sue

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

Retired the first time at 54 and they asked me to come back a year later. Did 2 more years and packed it in. Just turned 61 this month and have started the social security countdown calendar. Don't miss work at all. To much BS with the unions and the political environment I had to deal with. Life is good!

Gary & Penny

2015 Lance 1172

2005 Chevy 3500

2013 Bass Tracker 190 Pro Team

I will retire from 32 years of working for municipalities on Dec 31 2015 . 11 months and 21 days from now ( but who is counting) at age 58.

I love my job but am starting to hate the way the HR department thinks I need to manage the people . Instead of do your job ,do it right or get fired. It is now a touchy feely worry about hurting peoples feelings way of doing things so I think it is time for me to go.

I retired the first time at 43 from the Military. Worked at a golf shop while playing a lot of golf for the next 8 years. Had my own business for the last 5 of those 8 until the DW was ready to pull the plug. We turned 51 in May of 01 and left on the road in Sep of 01. Our only regret is that we wish we had a different sailboat that we live on in HI during the winter. It's not as comfortable at 65 as it was at 51.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

As someone else said - what is retirement? To me that implies a pension or SS of some sort.

I "quit work" at 48. And started fulltiming at 49....took some time to get our "stuff" together. We lived on our savings supplemented by workamping until we each turned 62 and took SS. NOW we are "retired". :) We live on our SS and pensions. It is more than we can spend at the moment (for living expenses). Eventually inflation will catch that up to our "needs"..... :(

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I retired at (64 1/2). Intended to go to (66) but got transferred to WV. Spent (6) years there and threw in the towel.

Workers and people were absolutely awesome...wonderful patriotic people.

However the upper management just plain sucked.....It was like stepping back (15) years in management...

Sad situation...

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

I have a friend that is 78. I know he has 1 to 2 million in the bank and still goes to work everyday. His home was paid for 25 years ago and he makes good money. He has always said that he could not afford to retire(he leads a simple life) and keeps saving and saving. Now, his wife is gravely ill and without her, this guy won't live a year. I guess his daughter(who doesn't need the money) and son-in-law that he doesn't like will get it now.

Denzel Washington said that he has never seen a hearse with a U Haul behind it.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

I retired at 60 after 42 years with the railroad as a conductor. That's a long time in one place that's for sure. It was a great living and it also gives a good retirement package. I could have retired in Aug of 2009 but was planning on staying until wife turned 60 in 3 yrs. Well I didn't make it as my health went south in Feb of 2010. After being off using sick time and my Dr saying for the previous 3 yrs that she had no idea how was still working 12 hrs a day 6 days a week she said no more work for you May 1st, 2010. Scared the heck out of us as far as the money aspect. But being forced out was the best thing that ever happened to us. We went fulltiming that day May 1st. Been on the road until this last spring when we bought another home. Still doing a ton of travel but have a place to go to as my health is and has been an issue for quite some time.

Don't put it off people. I'm here to tell you it isn't worth it. Live and let live!

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

Money or lack of it seems to be the common thought when people consider retirement. I realize you need it to survive but it seems everyone has a different idea of how much is needed. I suppose it depends a lot on how you live each day. We found that we didn't need near as much money as we thought we would need and we are eating out more. In short, we live better on less money than we thought was needed. Life is too short. I know too many people with big bank accounts & now in poor health who say, "I wish I would of done this or saw that!" Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

I retired at 58. While I loved my job, NY state offered a hard to ignore retirement incentive, and enough fell into place that I could afford to do it. My wife developed emphysema shortly after my retiring, and while we managed to take a few trips prior to her passing away in 2010, I have to agree that if traveling is a priority, find a way to do it while still working, or do all that you can to retire as early as possible. You never know how much time you have left...

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

Our story is much like Jack Mayer's, except neither of us has made it to 62 yet.

Bill, it is great being "old". Well, at least the income part is. It sure is nice to have that money coming in and not live off of savings. :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

While I agree that starting to receive SS checks is a milestone and does give some degree of added freedom, we found that after 6 months of a more leisurely lifestyle we missed the satisfaction that came from the volunteer for site positions that we did to extend our budget and so we went back to that style of travel. Even though we have a home-base once more, we still prefer a resident volunteer position for any longer stays along our routes. Life is more than a competition to accumulate money. The rich may die with more stuff and more money, but they are just as dead and often with less real life to show for the efforts.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Guest Pensauncola

To me, it's never been about accumulating wealth. This RV life is pretty frugal so doesn't require much of an income. However, it won't last forever. I doubt I'll be able to RV and work camp indefinitely. It's very likely that one day I will have to settle somewhere where I can get better attention from caregivers. I don't want to be a financial burden on my children. That's why I worked as long as I did. I'm far from rich though.

It's not about being rich and then dying. It's the transition period I want provided for.

I was able to take a high risk retirement after 28 years in law enforcement at the age of 46. Toni and I told our son he was getting his inheritance early and we were running away from home. We signed our house over to him and hit the road 12 years ago. Our only regret was that we could not do it sooner. Medical insurance has been the largest expense and there have been a few times that living on a shoestring was a bit of a challenge, but by being frugal and debt free we have made it work. We are slowing down some now but we look forward to many more years on the road.

Safe Travels…

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Jack raises a good point. 'What is retirement"? It's one of those questions that means something different to different folks.

Anytime you can get out of bed when you feel like it and go where and when you like is retirement.

I'm 'retired' but I still do some work when I 'feel' like it. I'm now a freelance photographer. Do work for museums. When I 'feel like it'. License photos when I 'feel like it'. (Have one photo that I have negotiated over 4 million prints. Have requests for more work. But I'm 'retired' so I ignore most of it. Sounds and feels to much like work).

To me retirement is being able ignore the daily grind of making money.

regards

Archived