What Age Did You Retire - Poll

Age You Retired  

212 members have voted

1. 1. What age did you retire from full time work?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We bailed out as soon as I qualified for my employer's early out program with medical benefits. Not sorry and never looked back! Since that time we did volunteer where we got a $10/day stipend twice and one other where we did some paid hours doing extra work around the park above and beyond the volunteer requirements. In neither case did we ever get paid more than $200 in a month.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Retired at 57 from the phone company. They came thru with an "early out", 30 days to make up your mind. It was a fantastic job for 34 years but the bigger they became the dumber they became. None of the seven of us that went have ever looked back. Just started fulltiming earlier.

Sold my private medical practice at age 62 in 2007 and I am damn glad to be out. Poor bastard that bought it can now barely pay the overhead. I have no other job skills of significance so all I do now is hunt, fish, spoil the grand kids and travel. If the money runs out we are moving in with the kids!! Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

At 42 the doctors told me I WAS retiring. So I did. But went back to work at 50 and thought retirement was better so at 54 I retired again. Never had second thoughts about it. Best thing we ever did.

Some folks like money and stuff. I like time and freedom better.

regards

I retired at 55, which was 14 years ago this year. The only regret I ever had was that I didn't leave sooner.

Several of my co-workers gave me some advice when I officially announced my intention to retire that did give me a short-lived second guessing of my decision.

It was: "Why would a person leave a job where they are paid hundreds of dollars a week...for doing absolutely nothing?"

My answer to them today would be: "Because I get adequate returns from my investments, collect a nice pension and social security...from still doing nothing."

I mostly retired last week (Jan 1st). Turned 62 in Dec. My company bought me out and pays me a very small amount for my help (I told them I didn't want more than Social Security allows to be earned because I don't want to be obligated). I don't really have to go to an office, other than mine at home, and I can pretty much travel anytime now. My wife mostly retired as an RN 5 years ago with a nice pension, but works a couple of days a week(if she wants to and we're at home) because they need her badly and she has something to do. She's only 59.

I waited to apply for Social Security until the end of Dec (effective Jan 1st), so I guess I won't get anything for a few months.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

Wow, tough question. Everyone's story is different.

For me, airline pilot, the mandatory (federal) retirement age got kicked up from 60 to 65 a few years ago.

Balls to the wall right now (57) but planning on slowing down (a lot) in a few years....can be done....

Looooong story.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Are we talking about retirement from primary career, secondary career or tertiary? I retired from being a corporate type, then I was a teacher for 5 years, then I owned a business for a couple. When did I "retire"?

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I was "retired" at age 60 in 2008, I was given a decent retirement $$ wise so never really looked back.

Did some part time work hauling cars & freight for a few years, but sold off all that equipment in 2013.

My wife took early retirement in Nov 2014 from the Phone CO and so far she is enjoying her time.

We are now looking for a MH to purchase, not to full time, but to travel part of the year.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

Retirement or concluding employment/collecting? 1st was at 38 after 20 years in the Coast Guard. 2nd is effective July 1st 2015 at 57 1/2 after 18 years in a 911 call/dispatch center. Then will have 2 more, one at 62 (taking SOC early) and one at 65 (state employee). Any wonder my blog is titled "2 Score and Change".

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

I got laid off in July 09. Went back to work July 2011. House on the market May 2011, sold Sept. of 2011. We both retired the day after closing. Left Denver Nov. 2011 on the road ever since. I was 57 and my wife 58. No pensions, no medical, no regrets.

Jeff

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

Another medical "retirement" here at 50 in 2000. DW retired as HS teacher 5 years later @ 55. Sold our home and FL condo, went FT a month after her state pension kicked in that summer, working on our 10th year on the road. The main reason we FT is to follow the sun due to my health. I've gone through radiation cancer treatment in 2011 at MD Anderson in Houston. I have had pacemaker/defibrulators, implanted or replaced in 2003, 2005 (recall), 2010 (upgrade to 3 lead due to heart failure) and last November (battery). We had 5 duplexes, sold 2 last year, plan to sell 2 more this year, getting close to completely freeing up our summers.

My feeling is if you can retire do it, don't wait. You could be one of those obits in the paper telling of a guy or gal who retired last month to get the maximum benefit and died this month. I came very close to being one that didn't make it to that age, in 1998 @ 47, I had 3 heart "events" in one week.

Teacher's Pet

'06 40' Phaeton QSH 350 Cat.

'04 R-Vision B+ Model 213, 6.0 Chevrolet.

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=3912

Forced to retire at the age of 32. Severe back injury, on the job, ended my career in the Fire Dept. As soon after that as I was able, I started a smal Striping Business. (Parking Lot Striping) Managed to grow that business into to many employees and to many headache's. Sold part of the business at the age of 60, to a good Friend and Competitor, and kept the part of the business that required me to work 3 weeks a year for and extremely nice pay check. At the age of 65 had some Medical Problems and the Wife Bailed out on me, taking most everything with her. Sold the remaining part of my business to the same friend and still work with him on an as needed basis. Will I ever fully retire, probably when they throw DIRT in my face. I really enjoy what I do.

Joe

Joe

The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

Just retired on December 31, 2014! 53 years, 3 months and 29 days and no regrets! We have always planned for an early retirement from the day to day meat grinder so we have time GOD willing to enjoy it!

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

Some advice that I was given back when we began planning for an early retirement. "If you wait to retire until you feel that you have enough money you will probably never retire."

Reading through the thread reminds me of one about being a fulltimer. Must we now debate just what it means to be retired? :huh:

We were once fulltimers, based upon our definition of that term and we are now retired, based upon the definition of that term which comes from the same, relied upon source! :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

US Government age 55 and 30 years. Had the 30 years in at age 52 but stayed till age 60 waiting for wife to retire who was also a Government Employee.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Worked 30+ years in IT, from Computer Operator to Technical Manager of large Systems & Networks... then shifted into being our local City (Township) Treasurer. Won re-election easily... but then 'unpleasant' local politics reared its ugly head and I decided to forego a 3rd term... and retired early at 62. We moved up our plans to buy an RV... and took off... and not looked back since! May be the smartest thing we ever did.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

We both took early retirement at 57. As soon as we got the OK for it with medical coverage, we were gone. Now we are both 65 and don't regret it at all. We've had 8 good years of travelling. Too many of our coworkers have passed on before they took retirement. I guess there's more to life than your job. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Archived