Building a 5th Wheel Air Ride Hitch

bmzero

It was done in SolidWorks first. Much cheaper to do it on the screen than cutting metal. The $6,500 started with metal cutting.

I don't mean to be flippant here, the cost of any prototype has no bearing on what it will cost once the proper tools and procedures are streamlined and developed. Actually the $6,500 is quite modest to prototype something as complex as an ET. It would have been much more, if I wasn't "semi-retired" then, with time on my hands and an ability with band saw, drill press, mag drill and grinders.

Thanks, Henry.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some thoughts on a sliding hitch. I used the original sliding mechanism on the truck. Removed the air actuated potion and just bolt the lock in place where I want it.

As for moving the hitch while in motion that could create a problem or --------. If you watch a commercial trucker move the hitch that may give you some thoughts as to not doing it in motion.

I have thought about making an electric powered assembly to move the hitch instead of man power now. I may get to that now that we are spending the summers next to a machine shop.

My hitch center point will extend to 27" behind the bed. the bed is 16" longer than the original frame. I do still run tandem axles with single tires. With our setup it does pick about 1000 lbs of the front axle when traveling. The 5th has about a 6000 lb pin weight.

Our rear axles have about 25000 lbs on then when connected with hitch extended.

If you are going to single then think about if you will over load the rear axle with the hitch extended.

You might get in trouble for thinking out side of the box. It happens to me.

And do not add vegetable oil to the mix.

My thoughts and design came from my head. I used to be a draftsman back before the computer age.

Vern

I'll make a note about the vegetable oil. :o

I had not planned on sliding the hitch when in motion. I'm sure there are some huge liability and risk issues with that. If I keep chasing the sliding feature, I would be building it where I could extend the hitch prior to parking the truck at a campground or maybe a tight parking lot. I would expect to stop the truck and make that change. However, I don't like the "man powered" notion.

My current thoughts around the sliding process are using the original "big truck" hitch open/close air source and switches to lock and unlock the sliding ability of the hitch. With the hitch unlocked (able to slide fore and aft), I believe I could lock the brakes on the trailer and gently drive the truck forward or backward to the perspective lock out position, assuming the hitch was built so that it could slide with weight on it. Then, flip the switch in the cab to lock the hitch back in place. No sweat, and no getting in and out of the truck.

Vern, I appreciate the numbers you shared about weight. That definitely needs to be part of my equation. I'm building this truck for 10 to 20 (that might be a stretch) years down the road, so I don't want to box myself in assuming I'll always have a light trailer as I do now.

Before the sliding hitch, The jeep was apparently not as tight as it should have been while making a sharp turn. And yes it kissed the 5RRRRRRR. And to top that off the DW noticed it also. There was some quiet time on that trip.

Sure glad I do gel coat repair. So it was time to ad the sliding hitch.

On the veggie mix. I still add that to the fuel tanks. Yes that is outside the boxxxx.

Better stop or I might get into more trouble today.

Keep the rubber on the pavement, Vern

Vern talked me into putting two big jugs of veggie oil into my N-14 with one fill up. I couldn't believe the difference it made in torque pickup just driving around town (instantaneously after fill up). Ah, and that sweet smell coming out of the exhaust, I can't avoid it I have a weedburner conversion. The only "engineering (?)" guess I have for this performance boost is that veggie oil still has that good stuff in it that contributes to octane which has been stripped away in "new" diesel double refined to make it super clean.

Comment about the veggie oil...

Make sure you have some extra fuel filters with you as the oil will literally clean out the tanks and fuel lines.

And I believe the word is "Cetane"....

octane is what makes little puny engine run.... :ph34r:

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Wow--those are fun to look at. Nice job! Makes mine look a bit rough! I don't do the photobucket thing...but if any of you want to see mine just for comparison, send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send you a zip file that has some pictures, etc.

FYI--I drew mine up in CAD as well, although it was strictly a 2d thing (side/top/back) to get a feel for what fit where, then I went out to the scrap pile and found stuff to make it fit close to that! My main carrying arms/pivots are lift wheel assm's off an old field cultivator....etc! I enjoy the "hunt" for reusable stuff, even though it sometimes takes longer than the design/build--and can result in funny looking results.

post-9595-0-05961000-1420827255_thumb.jpg

post-9595-0-27947400-1420827276_thumb.jpg

For you newcomers...Henry is CAD GURU...Autocad, Solidworks, Pro E (although I think he would prefer to smash that one with a hammer :lol:). His ET is the HITCH...no doubt. but for those of us who just gotta do it "My Way".... I chose to build mine because I wanted to preserve the big rear frame and because I found a great deal locally on a NOS Binkley hitch head.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

The hitch on my Mack is inter-locked with the trailer bakes. It will only release the locks if the "Johnson bar" is used, thus holding the trailer still while I drive the truck forward or back to re-position the hitch. Thus preventing accidentally sliding the hitch while in motion is avoided.

First time I slid the hitch, I didn't know about the inter-lock, as my old truck didn't have it. Much use of four letter words and pry bars ensued. :huh:

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 months later...

So, I'm finally making a little progress drawing up the hitch. I'm pretty good with the base platform at this point, so I'm starting to bring in some elements of the floating platform.

16688590268_6fd914a204_b.jpg

16690090449_cd47edffd2_b.jpg

16875204791_18e4cf89bd_b.jpg

16688811640_3d6641b295_b.jpg

Still a lot of drawing to do here.

Here's the hitch I'm stealing the base plate assembly from, so you can see how it will all connect up.

16688645208_2c70c2a073_b.jpg

I'm leaning toward these airbags - http://www.ridetech.com/store/air-spring-26c-double-convoluted.html. That will give me almost 7k pin weight capacity. My current trailer is under 3k. I do plan on upgrading trailers at some point, but I don't see coming close to 7k.

The four heims in the drawings above will link to a new cross member which I have not drawn up yet.

All eight heims will be mounted double shear, which I also haven't drawn yet.

Everything pictured is 1/4" plate.

Having said that, I have 2 in the backyard. Both look like they have never been slid while in commercial service.

Commercial hitches tend to become "set and forget", as they're more concerned with weight & balance than outright maneuvering. They're usually trying to stay within the 12k front axle rating and 34k tandem axle limit (if 8' or less spread). The truck has a fairly predictable payload capacity: if you put perhaps 32k on the pin, the drives can take 26k and the steers can take 2k.The fifth wheel position determines how much pin weight "levers" onto the steers. If tomorrow's trailer ends up front-heavy, sliding the trailer tandems forward lightens the pin; once the pin weight is right, the steer AND drives are right. HDTs either aren't so concerned about steer/drive weights, or they're trying to lighten the steers to offset the Smart car and/or toys.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice. You may also think about where to attach the leveling valve (surely you are not intending to just adjust air pressure manually?!?) On my hitch, I also added a ordinary LDT shock absorber. I had the room (just ran it vertical off the back of the hitch down to connect to the bumper hitch frame already on my truck). I think it helps control bounce.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

bmzero is that some sort of lock at the back? Those wanting to slide the fifth wheel can use the air lock and the electric mechanism from a slide to move the plate for and aft.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Very nice. You may also think about where to attach the leveling valve (surely you are not intending to just adjust air pressure manually?!?) On my hitch, I also added a ordinary LDT shock absorber. I had the room (just ran it vertical off the back of the hitch down to connect to the bumper hitch frame already on my truck). I think it helps control bounce.

Thanks, Jeff.

I'm definitely going to use a level valve. It has not come in yet from Jegs. It will bolt directly to the front of the floating platform. I'm just going to drill those holes when it gets here. The bottom rod will connect to the bottom platform. Shouldn't require any fabricated components.

Here's a video to show the movement of the Watts linkage and the safety stops - https://www.flickr.com/photos/britmansell/16373406803/

Finished product for V1:

16992147402_e8d3c8840e_b.jpg

Here's a link to the 3D model for anyone interested - http://www.3dvia.com/models/2FE03E2537091B2D

Ronbo, I temporarily punted the sliding mechanism. I haven't ruled it out for version 2, but I really need to get this truck on the road. The hitch is the hold up right now. It went off to laser today, so shouldn't be long now.

The reason I need to get it on the road - a $6,000 repair bill for my F450 coming tomorrow morning (new HPFP and both turbos). That one hurt. I'm ready to step up to a truck that *shouldn't* break parts like that.

Wow, all this CAD and 3D stuff is making all the rusty gears in my head clank. I guess where I have a zerk fitting in my skull, you must have a micro usb in yours. Very impressive design ideas from several folks. What a great group of talented individuals !!!! Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

CAD lets me fail, inexpensively. :D

Henry - back in the days when he posted here - used to say something similar.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Henry - back in the days when he posted here - used to say something similar.

Henry is a wise man. He has helped me with this project quite a bit.

Without CAD, I would have several hours and dollars in failed prototypes for this hitch, or I would have flat given up on it.

CAD is a wonderful thing. It allows you to try different approaches and even to go into an absolute rat-hole, without consequences (other than wasted time).

Case in point:

2314635510096176628koAwmw_ph.jpg

2321091210096176628gFnrhm_ph.jpg

2554075870096176628FxRxNq_ph.jpg

Once the concept was created, the "implementation" stage required that the concept be subjected to rigorous analysis how we are going to "execute" this, with practical considerations of cost, complexity and "standard" parts available to build it. The "rigorous analysis" confined this concept to the status of EWD, otherwise known as an Engineering Wet Dream.

Another concept was tried.

2349392860096176628yqyqYi_ph.jpg

2504358590096176628KRSXqD_fs.jpg

Although, one might say that at this stage it was still firmly in the category of EWD, the "rigorous analysis" indicated that it was "executable"

2958273410096176628tXDjly_fs.jpg

2676822030096176628FWsMTt_fs.jpg

2906731090096176628rccJqO_fs.jpg

2004862780096176628fBTWPm_fs.jpg

In the "Old Days" the concept number one would be actually prototyped before the "team" would realize that it was an EWD. All engineering departments used to have areas (warehouse corners) full of carcasses of discarded EWDs

But even good concepts eventually have to be prototyped, that's when the fun begins (not).

Wow, Henry, that's a pretty intense system there. Impressive. So, that didn't make it to production?

I "think" I saw the parts for another one of those in the old guys shop on my last visit..... but I might be wrong about that....there was "lots of stuff" in that shop.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Wow Henry......your step looks just like the Boeing 757 Galley Micro-Oven shelf.......All you had to purchase was the "oven"...... the aircraft was free....

Cool design and concept.......

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived