Lippert Frames

We were very impressed by the Continental coach by Forks at the Tampa RV show. Talk about Robust. Excellent in every respect. The weight was GVW 26,445 lbs a bit heavy for my F-350. HDT territory for sure When We pushed the reps they admitted that a F- 550 was minimum. The 45ssa5 has 5 slides and the outside diameter IS 45 feet. This was the only 5th wheel unit we saw that impressed us.They are out of Shipshewana Ind and this is one plant we have not toured. We will this summer. The Forks reps were very up front in every respect.

Richfaa

As the owner of the first 2015 continetal coach, I will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about Jay, Eric and there fine shop in shipsy. Also might be time to consider an HDT for your long term plans as well.

My email address is in my signature or PM for my cell number. (Still hiding from big5ver after the hutch ralley, LOL)

JC Canterbury

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 8 months later...

One of the perks of the Mobile Suites is that it is built on the same frame as the much heavier Elite Suites, leaving MS owners with tons of CCC and a little more peace of mind that they won't be overloaded.

Sue

Sue, our new Mobile Suites only had 1900 lbs of net carrying capacity BEFORE they installed a generator, washer/dryer, and motorized satellite dish. I'm not sure what you mean by "tons" of carrying capacity. I hope we have a strong and well-built frame, but net carrying capacity on paper it does not have.

Roy

Fulltiming since 2015, with my beautiful bride, Lori.

2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3 Hitch

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box

• 2 months later...

I'm so confused, Every one seems to be concentrated on just the welds. Most Lippert frames are I beams. Some mfg. will add a 2x2 in tube on top of the I frame to make it stronger. The reason the mfg puts 6 point leveling jacks, is because the lippert frame will twist. ( this is from a Mobile Suites owner) a good example is Lifestyles RV. They started building the Lifestyle RV from the ground up to mimic the Carriage built products with box frames welded on top of each other. Well according to their people starting in 2016 they are changing to the Lippert frame to and I quote "reduce the weight and lower the price." I think they are not selling enough high end units, so they need to CUT COST. I'm not knocking any one's choice of rv, But I personally would buy a 10 year old Carriage built RV and remodel it than buy any RV built today with the exception to the custom built units that I couldn't afford any way. Oh by the way I do own a Carriage Cameo my second. the first one 7yrs old and never back to the dealer. Our 2011 is 4 yrs old and never back to the dealer. No reason to. and it has a frame that will handle any thing that is thrown at it. We are also full timers.

Edited by CE

2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC Cummins

2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3

full body paint, Most options except Generator

SKP# 123923

• 9 months later...

This whole frame failure discussion really helps underscore the importance of a high quality air ride hitch. When people buy them it's because they feel less jolting (chucking and bucking) when towing. But one of the BIGGEST benefits of an air ride hitch is to cushion the truck and trailer frames from the beating the roads are dishing out. I'm sure that the reduction in stress that your trailer frame is exposed to will go a LONG way toward reducing stress related failures (cracks). An air hitch won't guaranteed you'll never have a frame failure, but it will definately improve your odds.

2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF, 8K morRYDE IS, Disc brakes, 17.5" Hi Spec Aluminum Wheels w Goodyear G114 H rated tires

2016 F350 King Ranch DRW, 3.73, 4x4, Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

26,760 CGVW

• 2 weeks later...

Comparing New Horizons, Forks (Continental Coach) and Spacecraft with something like Open Range is not really an "apples to apples" comparison. The custom built RVs cost a LOT more and are built a LOT better in every way. I post this only for future readers .....but I would think that most people know this.

Most people that did the research should know, Open Range salesman may have said it's comparable and they took the bait.

2008 F350 Lariat 4X4, PSD, DW, Crew Cab, 4:30, Long Bed, Tow Boss

B&W Turnover Ball Campanion Hitch 18K

Transfer Flow In Bed Auxiliary Fuel Tank 50 Gallon

2012 Cedar Creek 36RE

• 1 year later...

A good air hitch and a first class suspension (I have a Hensley Trailer Saver and morRyde’s Independent Suspension) will go a LONG way toward making a trailer frame live a long and healthy life ... a fully articulating head on hitch is a must.

2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF, 8K morRYDE IS, Disc brakes, 17.5" Hi Spec Aluminum Wheels w Goodyear G114 H rated tires

2016 F350 King Ranch DRW, 3.73, 4x4, Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

26,760 CGVW

A good air hitch and a first class suspension (I have a Hensley Trailer Saver and morRyde’s Independent Suspension) will go a LONG way toward making a trailer frame live a long and healthy life ... a fully articulating head on the hitch is a must.

26,760 CGVW

A good air ride hitch with a fully articulating head and a first class suspension (I have a Hensley Trailer Saver and morRyde’s Independent Suspension) will go a LONG way toward making a trailer frame live a long and healthy life ... a fully articulating head on the hitch is a must.

26,760 CGVW

• 2 years later...

Have all who are posting here been to the Lippert factory in Elkhart and took the informative tour. What we  observed is that a lot of the welding is done by machine no human involved We actually did not have frame flex that is a broken weld or frame on our two Lippert frames. We did have the side wall separation from the aluminum  frame that looks a lot like frame flex .We have seen actual broken lippert frames but do not know what stress caused them. " (I have a Hensley Trailer Saver and morRyde’s Independent Suspension) they will l go a LONG way toward making a trailer frame live a long and healthy life ... a fully articulating head on hitch is a must."  We have all of this. Lippperts does state that t hey build frames to the manufacturers specs.I do not think they would build a frame that did not meet all safety specs. That would be very bad for business. We just state our experience with Lippert and any other manufacturer when posting.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Actually frame failure is a small per centage over all. Full timers are a small percentage over all also. For most people use these units for vaction use. We are full time so we chose to discount Lippert altogether.Our previous DRV did have lippert bult chassis but to DRV standards. Our Teton built in house. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1