Lippert Frames

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with you some what. New Horizons I would only compare with Space Craft and Continental Coach. But I am tired of this.

X2. It's getting tedious.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Glenn West, on 14 Jan 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

Can't look at bridges and compare to chassis. Bridges you refer to are arched. The arched concept makes it rigid and rigid means strength. The holes is to loose weight. A straight beam with holes loose strength. You will never see a straight support beam with anything larger than a 1/4" threaded hole with a bolt in it. An open hole will be reinforced, the hole weakens the beam.

Thanks for clearing that up Glenn. I worked with mostly round tubing with very little rectangular tubing. I built race cars and that is the limit of my understanding. Why I said, I don't quit grasp that.

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

Comparing New Horizons, Forks (Continental Coach) and Spacecraft with something like Open Range is not really an "apples to apples" comparison. The custom built RVs cost a LOT more and are built a LOT better in every way. I post this only for future readers .....but I would think that most people know this.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

. What makes you think that an engineer is needed in a trailer factory. If the chassis is built elsewhere it should be engineered to do the job.

Engineers are usually who does structural designs. I don't know that they still have any but I met an engineer from Newmar RV at the Dallas RV show and I have also met one from Tiffin. Both were more than 10 years ago but in both cases they at least claimed to be engineers. Even if you buy a chassis there is still a lot more to design before you put it on the chassis. If there are no engineers in those RV companies, who does do the structural design?

Edited by Kirk

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Believe ya'll are missing an important fact. Jack made a you tube video on his chassis and running gear on his latest New Horizon. He goes in detail showing the changes in the chassis to accommodate his design. Point is the manufacturer cannot build his unit without designing his chassis first. Lippert would not know without input from manufacturer about how heavy steel needs to be or any bracing or placement of bays, etc.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Believe ya'll are missing an important fact. Jack made a you tube video on his chassis and running gear on his latest New Horizon. He goes in detail showing the changes in the chassis to accommodate his design. Point is the manufacturer cannot build his unit without designing his chassis first. Lippert would not know without input from manufacturer about how heavy steel needs to be or any bracing or placement of bays, etc.

Glenn, that is exactly what I was saying when I contacted Heartland.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

New Horizons will modify the chassis for a particular custom requirement. But in general the chassis are similar in the wide body lines and similar in the standard body (narrow). If there is something required to support a particular layout they will accommodate that. As will Spacecraft and Forks. All build custom coaches. All three have exceptionally robust chassis. You pay for that robustness in weight and dollars.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I knew it two days of slanderous remarks on other manufacturers and now a commercial for new horizon

I'm sorry you took it that way. I was simply showing all those who believe the manufactures don't design or put major input into the building of chassis how mistaken they are. This is the only detailed video of a chassis I know of or can find. It was never my intention to advertise for any manufacture. Very few people are going to buy custom build units. They aren't cheap.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Take a close look at the commercial. The first rule in trailer building is no 90 degree angles between the hitch point and the main frame. This frame the hitch point is on the wider upper deck then returns back at a 90 degree angle to the main frame. There are also other issues with this trailer frame including steel selection and forbidden welding practices.

Guest Pensauncola

Nice try but too late

Too late for what?

Most everyone here has a signature line of what they RV in. What's yours?

You seem to jump on the forum, throw out a few berating comments about other forum members and then run?

So I'm labeling you-

The wanna be TROLL

This discussion has been going along with people discussing their issue's with RV frames. Lippert is the #1 builder of RV trailer frames of all sizes, makes, price ranges, and models. It's simply being stated that if you buy a RV that has a Lippert frame, take care of it. Do your inspections regularly to find any issues. It's also been pointed out that if given the design that Lippert will build a decent frame, aka DRV, which I haven't heard of any failures of in their frames.

The video was posted by a member showing Lippert parts being incorporated into a custom-built in-house frame. The owner of that video made a comment about it.

So what gives??? You jealous of others having a nice coach? You have issues with people that try to share knowledge of how to build a better product?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Everything that I have stated is FACT how you deal with it is up to you

Bury your head in the sand is the solution.

ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

New Horizons will modify the chassis for a particular custom requirement. But in general the chassis are similar in the wide body lines and similar in the standard body (narrow). If there is something required to support a particular layout they will accommodate that. As will Spacecraft and Forks. All build custom coaches. All three have exceptionally robust chassis. You pay for that robustness in weight and dollars.

We were very impressed by the Continental coach by Forks at the Tampa RV show. Talk about Robust. Excellent in every respect. The weight was GVW 26,445 lbs a bit heavy for my F-350. HDT territory for sure When We pushed the reps they admitted that a F- 550 was minimum. The 45ssa5 has 5 slides and the outside diameter IS 45 feet. This was the only 5th wheel unit we saw that impressed us.

They are out of Shipshewana Ind and this is one plant we have not toured. We will this summer. The Forks reps were very up front in every respect.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.