Opinions Please - Tire Monitor

Jack Mayer

While I have had no problems with my system in 5 years use. Leaks can be the result of over tightening external sensors.

Personally I would shop for a TPMS with a long or even lifetime warranty.

According to the website, Dutch & Di include a 3-year warranty with the TST systems they sell. I don't know of anyone that has a lifetime warranty for their TPMS.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been using a TST 507 system for over a year on just the trailer, I have the pass through sensors and have not had any system drops to date. One thing I did do was have short valve stems installed on the wheels so the sensors are inside the wheel and no sticking out where a curb could hit one of them.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

We've been using our TST system for 6 years and the only time we experienced a slow leak was on a 3 year old tire. Upon checking it out, our rubber valve stem had dried from constantly being outside and varying temperatures causing a few small cracks. The weight of the sensor moved it just enough to cause a slow leak. Our monitor let us know, we changed to metal valve stems and haven't had a slow leak since.

Jack, have you contacted the dealer you purchased your TST from? He could investigate to find out why.

Of course, I am always willing to help any TST customer so you can call me at 941-416-0918 10 am to 10 pm central time or e-mail me at plugitright@gmail.com if you wish.

When you say you have a 2 to 3 pound slow leak per week is this a constant and has it been going on since you purchased the unit or did it just start? I'm assuming but should ask if this on truck or 5th wheel tires? Can you let me know which ones? .

I'm wondering also if it could be a dill or valve core issue? This can cause a slow leak. Would need more info to diagnose your problem.

I agree that an over tightened sensor could cause the gasket inside to compress or dent which would make you not have a good seal. This is the little round flat washer inside the sensor {not the round gaskets used to change the battery}.

I ran into a fellow last year in a city park who had purchased a used TST system from a friend and it was not working properly. I changed a few things then I looked down inside the sensors and there were definitely ripples. We pulled them out, put in 6 new ones and he was good to go. I'm not saying that is your issue but it can't hurt to check the gaskets.

I know of no tpms company that offers a lifetime warranty & I don't know how that would even be possible. While I do offer a 3 year warranty, I have helped my customers who were past this date {depending on the severity of the issue}. Let me know if I can help. Hugs, Di

ps HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

I used a TST system for most of 2009 and had lots of problems with failed sensors (8 or 10 replaced under warranty in ten months). But the bigger problem was with flat tires on the toad due to sensors coming loose, normally the day after a road day. Customer service was great but it was causing more worries than it was preventing so we returned the system under warranty. About a year later we got a TireTraker system. It works very similar to the TST system we had (sensors on valve stems reading tire pressure & temp), but the sensors are smaller and lighter. The TireTracker has performed very well, alerting me to low tires on several occasions and to a puncture and rapid leak on one occasion allowing me to get stopped before the tire was completely flat and the wheel was damaged. The easily replaceable batteries last over a year. We have had one failed sensor in the 5 1/2 years we have had the system.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I see that Tire Traker has Lifetime warranty according to website.

It appears that only the newer TT-500 TPMS has the limited lifetime warranty. The older TT-400 only has a one year warranty.

Dutch

It appears that only the newer TT-500 TPMS has the limited lifetime warranty. The older TT-400 only has a one year warranty.

Sorry, but I don't understand your point.

If someone wants long term warranty I would assume they are talking about getting a new system. I don't know any company that offers extended term warranty on old used parts that they didn't sell in the first place.

TravelTrailer asked the question of what brand offers long warranty. I simply tried to answer the specific question. There may be other TPMS with various length warranty of more than 1 to 3 years so I will let others offer other suggestions.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

Sorry, but I don't understand your point.

If someone wants long term warranty I would assume they are talking about getting a new system. I don't know any company that offers extended term warranty on old used parts that they didn't sell in the first place.

TravelTrailer asked the question of what brand offers long warranty. I simply tried to answer the specific question. There may be other TPMS with various length warranty of more than 1 to 3 years so I will let others offer other suggestions.

No, I'm the sorry one. I meant to direct the comment to Kirk in relation to his question on whether they had replaced a several year old sensor under the lifetime warranty. :wacko::(

Dutch

My TST system performs well. The main issue I wish to avoid is dropping tire positions, or slow initial acquisition of data. That is the issue(s) I had with Pressure Pro. I'm not as concerned with a couple of positions that tend to lose air. I'll figure those out at some point in time. I've tried tape on them, BTW, and that made no difference.

I'm very satisfied with the TST and would buy them again.

My current state of affairs is:

• all metal valve stems
  • two trailer positions leaking. It is just barely enough to cause a very small bubble with soap.
  • I've tried tape.
  • I don't over-tighten the sensors...just barely snug. They do not loosen in travel - at least that I can notice.
  • Examination of the O ring does not look like it is damaged or too compressed. But I have no experience with others of the same type to compare it to.
  • swapping to another sensor does eliminate the leak so it is not the tire, wheel or stem.
  • It is likely the O ring, which I have not tried to swap yet since I don't have a tiny pick to get the existing one out. I keep meaning to buy a set of picks but eventually I'll get around to that.

Again, I recommend the TST, and I recommend you buy from Di.....she has a history of good customer support. That is worth a LOT.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have the old TireTraker TT400C-10 system. Dutch is right in it's having a 1 yr warranty. The failed sensor was 4-5 yr old. I paid $39 for a new sensor and they included some new caps & cap o-rings at n/c.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I'll toss in our positive experience with TST. We have the 12 510's, but now only using 10 due to adding Crossfires two years ago. Last year, i did have two units within a month of each other, power down for good. Used the 2 spare to keep us going for a bit longer. Once we lost the next battery, I pulled them off and sent them into TST in Georgia to have new batteries installed. They're still in the mail to them now, and i'm wondering what the results will be, as three of them lost their black casing due car washes with well brushes (Toad). DW did not know I avoided the wheel brushing option, and i next thing I knew - two of the black casings had been beaten off:)!)

We get good range, and do have a repeater in the closet of our 40' coach.

I find the PSI values to be + or - 3PSI from actual. Temp sensor is also quite variable. But have found one that seems to be pretty accurate, and find that in the early AM it is a good one to check as far as outside temps, a nice bit of extra usage.

If buying today, I probably would go with the 507 so I could replace my own batteries. But, at almost 6 years old - no complaints with sending them in for a $20 refurb of battery and unit itself. I've hung onto the other two spares, and will wait another year or two, and send them in for refurb, then have the ability to rotate the stock as needed:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

We started with a 10-sensor TST 510 system that worked great for us right up until the sensors started dropping out after the 5 year point. When I called TST about updating them with new batteries, they offered me a deal on a 507 system that was too good to turn down. We haven't been sorry about the change, and changing the batteries annually at a cost of about $8 for 10 batteries, is easy.

Dutch

Archived