Opinions Please - Tire Monitor

Jack Mayer

I have a set Hawshead, a set of Tiretracker, and another OLD one, none have been worth a d--n. Lucky to be able to keep 4 of 10 sensors working for the towed. Now a Pressure Pro. The main reason for going PP instead of a 507 ... Got the PP, new, never installed on EBay for $75. Other than that seems a toss up. I'm with Jack, I don't care about good customer service, I want the damn thing to work.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of them give decent customer service. Like I said, and Dave said. I just want it to be as problem free as possible. I'm tired of "messing" with things. In this electronic world it is a constant, low level, nag nag, nag.....something is always amiss someplace. I'm fed up with it.

Phil, I have the latest monitor and a repeater. I STILL have major dropouts. AND I have new senders/sensors. I've had reasonable luck with PP over the years and have put up with some inconveniences from time to time. But at this point I'm considering trying something else.....

I'm going to be running the PP from here to Tampa and back to Summerdale. If I continue to have issues it is going up for sale. I have a wholesale account at Camping World so we will see how traumatic a new manufacturer will be.... :(

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack, we've had the tire minder for about three years and are reasonably happy with it. Yes we have had issues with it. But we have found their customer service to be extraordinary. And we have had it save our bacon several times as well.

I've been running PressurePro tire monitoring since they were available. I'm now in the position of having to spend more money and "fix" my PP system. It is annoying me.

My choice is to move to one of the "newer" systems - which frankly I can do for just a little more than once again spending money on PP. TST and TireMinder come to mind. I'm leaning towards TireMinder. Money is NOT a factor. RELIABILITY and ease of use are the key factors I'm considering.

• I want a system that can handle the distances involved with my rig. It is 60' from the monitor to the rear tires. The system MUST be reliable with NO DROPOUTS.
  • Temperature is nice but not required.

I'm interested in comments from USERS of these two systems. Pros and cons. But especially if repeaters, etc are required and how much "mickey mouse" stuff is involved in the repeaters use.

Di, you particularly come to mind when I ask for comments :)

Sorry for the delay in responding Jack but when A-Fib hits, I go down for a bit.

We have used the 510 TST system for 5 years and I still feel about it today as I did the 1st time it warned me of a problem. I did try the 507 System for a year just to make sure that I knew the in's and out's of it then I went back to my 510

As far as reliability, I have only had to replace one sensor in those 5 years of fulltime use. My monitor is still working just fine.

Our Carriage is 38' long and with our 96 Dodge 1 ton we were 54' long and we did not need a repeater. When we purchased our 2014 Ram 1 ton after just a month with the same length we found we did need a repeater because of all the new electronics involved all in the dash area. That said, my monitor would drop sensor because of where I wanted to keep it while traveling. IF I had been OK with moving it to the console by our seats {which was inconvenient} we would not have needed the repeater. I would feel that with your setup, while you are welcomed to try it without it, I think if you get the TST, you will end up adding a repeater. All we did was install our repeater in a cabinet just in front of our 3 axles. Dutch wired it using the 12 volts before the light switch right inside the door using. For us, it was install it and forget it situation. The reason the temperature setting was great for us to have was because of a brake caliper sticking and the tremendous heat it sent out caused our temperature alarm to go off saving us a rotor and potential tire damage/wheel loss and possible fiberglass damage

To The Moderators: If this next sentence is out of line with the policies, please remove this part of the post as I do not want to cross any lines.

I get very few calls regarding a sensor failing/breaking. Of the few I do receive, it is usually improper installation, like cross threading which can be done when not using the install tool on the 510 & 507 regular system. Severe over tightening the sensor on to the valve stem and things like that. I was informed that on the 507 flow thru {FT}, there was a problem with the original casings causing them to crack which as been taken care of.

I do agree that excellent customer service is moot if a product is bad. I would not use any product on my 5th wheel or truck that I did not have complete faith in. That is about all I can tell you at this point but if I remember {another A-Fib side effect}, I will post it.

If you should have any other questions or concerns, please let me know. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

Take it for what its worth but I ran the TireMinder system all of last year and have been pleased.

Had one problem the receiver went out on my second time to turn it on. Called them and they said send it in, two days later they called me and said under warranty and asked if I was on the road ( I was not) but they where willing to send it anywhere overnight to me .

Plus for us dummy's their customer service over the phone seems to be very good and for the really dumb ones ( me included) they will walk you though the steps nice and slow so you have time to learn .You most likely would not need this service but I did.

Jack,

We have "long timed" since 1992, and have never had a TPMS, but I have always driven with my mirrors ALOT. It has saved my bacon several times, but not always. As I have got older, I know I'm not as sharp as I used to be, and I keep my eyes on the road in front more than in the rear view. After much thought and research, I purchased a TST 507 from plugitright.com(?) as they are Escapees, plus their price was as good as any. Di was very helpful, because I'm kinda' a moron, and it was shipped very timely. I'm 72' long, and carry a Jeep, tool box, motorcycle, etc., on the bed, so I didn't mess around without a repeater. I installed one in the 5th basement nose, and wired it to have power only when the truck is powered on. I have only used it for about 1,000 miles, but in that trip, I had 2 smiles. One for the Dark side, and now one for the TPMS. I plan on changing the sensor batteries every year, and not wait for a drop out.

Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

• 1 month later...

Well,

It seems I can break anything!! While running down the road the other day, I started losing contact with the tires one by one. I noticed the screw on the antenna was loose so I went to tighten it, but it was loose inside the monitor. I called TST direct by mistake, instead of plugitright where I purchased it, but that didn't seem to matter, because they asked if I was on the road, and sent me a replacement that day. I didn't have to prove anything, they just took my word for the purchase date, and the problem then sent me a new replacement. GREAT SERVICE!!! It sure is nice to be dealt with that way. Called them after I made a mistake in the setup, and Mike helped me correct that also, Thanks, Truck System Technologies! :D Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

However you got taken care of is all that matters to me. I'm glad things worked out for you. If you need me, I'm only a phone call away. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors

• 1 month later...

Followup on this topic:

Since I originally posted this I had made up my mind that I would switch to a TST if the Pressure Pro continued to drop out. It did. This is AFTER I replaced all sensors, installed a repeater, etc. Something is interfering with it in the trailer, I would suppose. I don't exactly have a radiation free 5th....lots of comm stuff going on in and around it.

While at MATS I found what I considered to be a "killer" deal on the commercial truck TST system with permanent sensors (not replaceable batteries). It is the system I prefer. So I decided to try it out on my "problem child" - the 5er. I installed it at MATS - it came with a repeater - and have not had a single dropout since. Not one time. In addition, I have to admit I like the TST display a LOT better than the Pressure Pro. I still run the PP system on the truck, and the two systems seem to operate fine in the same environment. The PP does work fine on the truck....it just would not work on the trailer.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Kirk, the TST would work well. The display is small. You would not need a repeater. Cost is relative....there are no "reasonably priced" TPMS systems from my perspective. :)

www.jackdanmayer.com

I bought a relatively inexpen.... ok, cheap... TPMS from Amazon and my biggest complaint about it is that it's inaccurate. I mean not even close. What's worse is that the sensors are all inaccurate in different ways.

But they are consistent. Once we got used to what they were telling us we could, at least, see whether there was a change. The biggest reason I got a TPMS in the first place was because I was worried about the toad. I figured I could feel issues on the coach but the toad was way back there and the first indication of an issue would be the smoke showing up in the rear camera.

So I'd get one again. But not this one again.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Jack, I have a TST 507 10-tire system. The battery life is, according to TST between 10 and 12 months, and are user replaceable. That said, mine are now 2 yr old original batteries(I have replaced one battery). My rig is 59' front of MH to rear of Jeep, and it required an external antenna/repeater to get reliable readings 100% of the time;mine is mounted in the MH battery compartment-20' from the receiver/monitor, simply clipped to battery posts.

The flow-through sensors are very slow to allow air into a tire when requiring a few pounds, the 510 sensors must be removed each time, which is difficult for the inner dual.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Not that I worry about tread separation after moving to 17.5" tires, the sensing of thread separation was the most interesting feature of the "Tattle Tail"

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I have a post on my Blog on "Best TPMS". I do not suggest a specific brand as we have different needs and priorities but I do offer a list of features & benefits that I suggest people consider.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

"Tattle-Trail" is interesting item though a bit expensive IMO.

I did a post on Why Tires Fail and included detailed information on how you can inspect your own tires for impending tread separation.

Separations do not go from zero to ready to come apart overnight. I have seen numerous tires with separations that went many hundreds if not thousands of miles based on the level of tread wear. So it is possible to do a quick check yourself to see if you have a separation starting.

If I were going to spend money on a tire monitoring system I would monitor for air loss but inspect for separation and save $$$. Air loss can and does happen in relatively short time ( minutes) while separations may take months to be of major concern.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

• 9 months later...

Bumping this thread to see how Jack likes his TST these days and to get current recommendations.

Some backstory:

We bought and installed a PressurePro with signal booster in May 2012. We had a number of problems from the get-go with leaking seals on both the coach and the car and had to pay for new seals.

Within a few months, the power cord for the cigarette lighter started blowing fuses. Customer service was not stellar; despite being under warranty we had to pay for the replacement upfront, pay to return the old cord, and only then did they refund the cost of the cord.

Shortly thereafter one of the sensors alarmed high (more than 50% high). Removing it from the valve stem it continued to read high. Tapping it on the padded dash it then read low. Tap again and it read high again. It finally failed.

Two more sensors failed just after the 3 year mark. Note that we always removed them in the off season to reduce battery drain. 3 years seems unusually short.

As we get ready for the season we either need to shell out for all new (12) sensors or a new (different) system. We expect to need a booster if we change systems. Initial cost will be slightly less if we just get new PP sensors, but our confidence in the system's durability (and sensor longevity) is not very high given our experience.

So there you go - looking for others' up-to-date experience between PP and the alternatives.

Thanks!

Michelle

Bumping this thread to see how Jack likes his TST these days and to get current recommendations.

Some backstory:

We bought and installed a PressurePro with signal booster in May 2012. We had a number of problems from the get-go with leaking seals on both the coach and the car and had to pay for new seals.

Within a few months, the power cord for the cigarette lighter started blowing fuses. Customer service was not stellar; despite being under warranty we had to pay for the replacement upfront, pay to return the old cord, and only then did they refund the cost of the cord.

Shortly thereafter one of the sensors alarmed high (more than 50% high). Removing it from the valve stem it continued to read high. Tapping it on the padded dash it then read low. Tap again and it read high again. It finally failed.

Two more sensors failed just after the 3 year mark. Note that we always removed them in the off season to reduce battery drain. 3 years seems unusually short.

As we get ready for the season we either need to shell out for all new (12) sensors or a new (different) system. We expect to need a booster if we change systems. Initial cost will be slightly less if we just get new PP sensors, but our confidence in the system's durability (and sensor longevity) is not very high given our experience.

So there you go - looking for others' up-to-date experience between PP and the alternatives.

Thanks!

Michelle

Just happened to be online when I was your post.

While I'm not Jack and I'm sure he will respond, I did answer every question Jack had regarding our TST system. We had a different brand for personal use and did not like it. The following year, 6 years ago, we tried the TST system for our personal use and also needed 12 sensors. We have been very happy with it and it has worked flawlessly for us. When we upgraded to our 2015 Ram, we did need to get the repeater because of all the electronics in our dash caused a sensor to "drop" { this did not mean there was something wrong even though we stopped to check, it just meant the monitor could not accurately read the sensor because of this interference}. It really has saved us several time and one of those times would have caused us major damage.

Once you have your answers and opinions from Jack if you should have more questions, please feel free to contact me at 941-416-0918 10 am to 10 pm 7 days a week {central time right now} or e-mail me at plugitright@gmail.com and I'll be happy to help. Hugs Di

PS HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!

SKP #48048

I love my TST. I've had it about a year now, and it has worked pretty much flawlessly. It NEVER drops out during use. No sensors, once they come in, "disappear". Unlike the Pressurepro, where I never could get a reliable "every sensor" setup. I always had some sensors that would be "out". It was very frustrating and I pursued a solution for over a year before giving up.

I also like the display of the TST better than the PP.

The only issues I've had with the TST are two positions on my trailer tend to slow leak. It takes a few days, but I do lose enough air that I have to re-inflate the tires to spec before leaving. I probably lose 2-3 lbs a week. I just have not pursued putting new O rings in the sensors - they do supply an o-ring pack when you buy the sensors...well at least mine came with it.

You may not have noticed it, but Di sells these....and I recommend her for your purchase.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Thanks Jack.

Interesting on the air loss. That is one thing we have not had any issue with on our PP (once we replaced all the original seals). Our coach (and car) will hold pressure with no leakdown for 6 months or more.

Can you see the seals in the sensors well enough to tell if yours have marks on them. On our leaking PP sensors it was obvious the seals weren't smooth.

Michelle

...The only issues I've had with the TST are two positions on my trailer tend to slow leak...

I have had my TST system for about 8 yrs. On my second set of sensors. When I experienced slow leaks, a wrap of teflon tape seemed to solve the problem. I also noticed that some sensors seem to loosen over the miles driven. I check the sensors as part of my pre-travel checks and post arrival check when we will be sitting for a while.

While I have had no problems with my system in 5 years use. Leaks can be the result of over tightening external sensors.

Personally I would shop for a TPMS with a long or even lifetime warranty.

Archived