One piece exhaust manifold ?

sclord2002

The service advisor mentioned that Volvo now had a one piece exhaust manifold upgrade for my '06 Volvo D12D. The current manifold is 3 pieces and mine has a small leak. Has anyone heard of this manifold or installed one ??? How has resealing the 3 piece manifold worked out for those who have done it ? Volvo shop is saying about 10 hours labor plus gaskets, seals, clamps and etc. Trying to do my due dilligence before plunking that kind of money down. Experiences anyone ?? Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Charlie - my recent project to replace a missing stud between the exhaust manifold and turbo had me withing a few wrench turns of pulling the manifold off. I remember your commenting on the job. I know you well enough to say it is something you can do yourself (if you want). I would "think" the two piece manifold would be less prone to cracking or warping than a long single piece of cast iron. Lots of parts must come off and coolant drained to get to the manifold. If I remember correctly, the Volvo shop in Ashland quoted "about" 10-11 hours labor @ $112 per hour plus parts and shop materials when I asked them.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Charlie - my recent project to replace a missing stud between the exhaust manifold and turbo had me withing a few wrench turns of pulling the manifold off. I remember your commenting on the job. I know you well enough to say it is something you can do yourself (if you want). I would "think" the two piece manifold would be less prone to cracking or warping than a long single piece of cast iron. Lots of parts must come off and coolant drained to get to the manifold. If I remember correctly, the Volvo shop in Ashland quoted "about" 10-11 hours labor @ $112 per hour plus parts and shop materials when I asked them.

BTW - where are you now? Made it to Florida yet?

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Randy, we are in SC...leaving Sat for Florida. We will probably go by Pinellas Park [near Tampa] to see our youngest son, Daniel. He is temporarily there with Lockheed, building new wings for some Lockheed fighters. We may attend the RV show in Tampa for a couple of days, then to Melbourne and then to New Smyrna Beach. We may stop by Plant City to see a friend and check out his new-to-him HDT. We are going to have some really cold weather Wed through Fri......we should have headed south last week. I hope you guys are having fun. I will talk to you later about your exhaust repair. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Archived