Engine shuts down on motion

i have a freightliner 2001 with cummins N14 plus engine. started using it about a month ago but noticed that the engine stops on motion .this happens when the fuel in the fuel pump drops below 5 the calibration is 1 to 9. each time it happens, i have to open the engine and wash the fuel pump, and manually add fuel into the pump to rebuild. what can be the cause and the way out?

First, welcome to the Escapee forums! Glad that you came here but am sorry to hear of the problems. Not being much of a mechanic I'll leave this one to others here who have diesel experience to respond to, other than to ask for just a bit of clarification. Am I understanding correctly that the fuel pump is loosing it's prime as soon as you start to drive, but works fine when sitting still?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

i have a freightliner 2001 with cummins N14 plus engine. started using it about a month ago but noticed that the engine stops on motion .this happens when the fuel in the fuel pump drops below 5 the calibration is 1 to 9. each time it happens, i have to open the engine and wash the fuel pump, and manually add fuel into the pump to rebuild. what can be the cause and the way out?

Could the pump be getting a vapor lock? It may only be affected when moving due to the higher RPM & flow compared to sitting still. Are fuel filters clean? Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

I had a 2003 DP with Cummins on a Freightliner. No pre-filter going to the fuel pump. In 2010 I had problems with the rubber fuel lines leading to the fuel pump deteriorating and a sticky rubber goo would clog the pump. Replaced hoses and added a pre-filter to fix.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

The best place for this subject is the HDT section. But for a very good source of information and parts for heavy duty Cummins engines, google Terry Chron and check his videos.

One fuel issue problem I experienced was running NAPA fuel filters. A small shop told me to use Badwin filters. The NAPA filter does not have a seal in the filter to seal the top of the dip tube that is inside the filter. Some fuel will never be filtered without that tube sealing properly.

Truck has started much better then the first six years of ownership before.

Vern

Archived