Anyone using a fire proof pouch for important papers?

mds1

I'm considering two ideas for keeping important papers safe. I know some rigs come with a safe and there are places to bolt one down. I'm more concerned with loosing important papers that we might need on the road, so using a bank deposit box will not work. I don't want to keep the papers separate from the rig, such as in the glove box of a truck, because of the possibility of identity theft.

1. Fire proof safe that can double as a safe for small valuables and maybe a gun.

2. Just going to a fire proof pouch like this one at Amazon.

I searched the forums again and found a topic on safes from 2013.

The fire proof pouch idea was something not mentioned before.

Ideas? Thank you,

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

Fireproof is saying a bit much for many of these things, RVs burn fast and hot unless there is fuel involved then they last longer. Your local fire department may also add a lot of water to the mix and there is the potential of your box falling if the floor under it gives way.

I'd shop for a fire resistant, water resistant box with a solid lock and UL ratings, we went with this one but a smaller one might work for you:

http://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-H3300-1-29-Cubic-Foot-Waterproof-Security/dp/B000Z8T7FQ/ref=sr_1_3

The H3300's waterproof fire file protects important files and valuables. It features a built-in frame for hanging files, is UL classified with 1/2-hour proven fire protection and ETL verified with 1/2 hour fire protection for CD's, DVD's, USB drivers and memory sticks up to 1550 degrees Fahrenheit. It is also ETL verified waterproof. It has a tubular key lock for extra protection. It has exterior dimensions of 14-1/8 inches by 17-1/2 inches by 20-1/4 inches and dimensions of 11-1/2 inches by 13-7/8 inches by 14 inches.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I have something similar that I keep all my important stuff in. It goes from 3 or 4 different hiding places depending on where I am. I bought it before the invention of Flash drives and such, wonder if it will still protect them. I think the max temp was in the 1500 degree rating when purchased. One important bit of information. Make sure in case of it being exposed to fire, that it is completely cooled before opening. Don't get in a hurry to find out if your items are safe. They may have been but opening too soon caused the damage. It's a story i heard or read and thankfully it wasn't me.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We have always kept a smaller box of the "Sentry" type for what we must keep with us. They come with a range of prices and with anything of that type the key thing to look at is their "1 hour" fire rating. In general the thing that makes the higher priced boxes cost more is a better 1 hour rating. The Sentry box shows this rating...

UL classified 1/2-hour and ETL verified 1/2-hour fire protection, ETL verified waterproof
  • Provides protection for CD's, DVD's, USB drives, and memory sticks at up to 1550 degrees

The one in your link for Honeywell has this:

• 1-hour fire protection for up to 1700F / 927C
  • 48 hour waterproof seal to keep contents dry

That would sound like the Honeywell will protect things for twice as long and at a higher temperature. The pouch says that it will protect documents up to 1200° but for how long? And it has a free water proof pouch to put inside, but is that fire proof and for how long? In any of the products that have a UL rating there will be a statement such as those quoted above as it is required as a part of the UL documentation. As a fire investigator once told me, those boxes provide some short term protection and are better than nothing but are not total protection.

What we did was to put things like the titles to our vehicles, an original of wills, medical power of attorney, insurance policies, and other documents which can not be replaced into a bank deposit box near our son and had him on the authorized access list so that he could get them if needed and "overnight" them to us. We then kept our passports, copies of our medical statements, and things critical to have at hand in one of those boxes. That box as stored where we had outside access to it in the event of a fire and well away from the higher risk fire sources such as the engine, fuel tank, propane tank, & refrigerator. The bay that I kept it in was one with a lock that had been replaced so that it was not the standard key that fits most all RV storage but was readily accessible(mid section, driver's side). When parked for a long stay we kept that box under my chair which put it right next to the entry door and reachable from outside on the ground.

It is important to remember that those devices are not fire proof but rather are fire resistant so the length of time and temperature are the key to their protective ability. What we had in mind was to be able to get them out in most situations and if destroyed to have more critical things located where not vulnerable. If we were to have a fire when present in the RV, we could remove them as we left but should a fire start when we were not present, then have them in a place with a reasonable possibility of retrieval before the fire was out and cold. Very few of those containers will actually keep the contents safe and intact in a worst case scenario so access is important and replacement papers where they can be recovered if possible.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have a fireproof/water resistant safe in our front closet. It is for papers.....our computer backups are offsite/cloud/in the truck. There is a copy in my fire Go Bag as well. If you want to see what is in my fire Go-Bag here is a LINK.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We have a fireproof/water resistant safe in our front closet. It is for papers.....our computer backups are offsite/cloud/in the truck. There is a copy in my fire Go Bag as well. If you want to see what is in my fire Go-Bag here is a LINK.

Thank you for that link. Some great ideas there. Might have to change a few things around now.

2007 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW

Keystone Everest 5'r

Thank you for that link. Some great ideas there. Might have to change a few things around now.

Thanks. It is just MY take on it. Ours in in our bedroom and it is not very large, but a very good case can be made for keeping it in a vehicle and slightly augmenting it to cover vehicle as well as Fire Escape useage. If I had room in the smart it would likely be in that. It "could" be in the truck,I suppose. I'll have to think about that. Like all of this kind of thing, it is unlikely you will ever need it.... I hope.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Kirk mentioned an important point; fire resistance rating. Everything that will burn(papers,etc) inside a "fireproof" container will be turned into ashes by the heat- eventually, depending on the containers fire resistance rating = 1 hr, 8 hrs, etc. Meaning how long the papers should survive,at rated heat level. There will be no flames, just an oxiditaion of the material, in fact the legal defination of fire is: "the rapid oxidation of material, resulting in the release of heat and flames".

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived