Advice for setting up space for pre-teen daughter

swchord

Hubby and I have thrown the idea around to let go of our 'brick and stick' lifestyle and take our family out for full-time living in an RV. This has been an idea for over 4 years now, but we've just now really got to the point where it seems logical and possible. One of the issues I'm worrying about most is having a rig that can provide enough space for our kids. We have two daughters, currently 5 & 10, the oldest of which is truly in the pre-teen stage and I worry about her having privacy amongst her sister. I see lots of blogs and facebook pages with families who have multiple children and it would be wonderful to have some advice of 'what we should have done' or tips to help set her up with a space that she can feel like she's not stuck with her 'kid sister' all the time.

To learn more about NRVIA and RVIC, please listen to this podcast produced by RV Daily Report.

National RV Inspectors Association - NRVIA is a membership organization providing certification and credentials for professional recreational vehicle inspectors across North America.NRVIA’s mission is to provide credibility through the testing and awarding of credentials to qualified inspectors. NRVIA Inspector members are required to follow specific Standards of Practice and a Code of Ethics that will ensure the consumer will receive an inspection of the highest quality and caliber.

RV Inspection Connection - The RV industry deserves a professional RV inspection company that will provide quality RV inspections for the millions of used RVs on the market today. That’s where RV Inspection Connection can help. We are America’s only nationwide RV inspection company and we are committed to providing professional quality RV inspections.

Hubby and I have thrown the idea around to let go of our 'brick and stick' lifestyle and take our family out for full-time living in an RV. This has been an idea for over 4 years now, but we've just now really got to the point where it seems logical and possible. One of the issues I'm worrying about most is having a rig that can provide enough space for our kids. We have two daughters, currently 5 & 10, the oldest of which is truly in the pre-teen stage and I worry about her having privacy amongst her sister. I see lots of blogs and facebook pages with families who have multiple children and it would be wonderful to have some advice of 'what we should have done' or tips to help set her up with a space that she can feel like she's not stuck with her 'kid sister' all the time.

Well, first of all, get yourself a bunkhouse. That way at least they can each have their own beds.

Beyond that, draping sheets for privacy curtains helps. Also, allow your girls to decorate their own spaces with wall stickers, posters, etc. I found that hanging one of those wall pocket organizers (hung up with 3M hooks) for the kids to keep their own stuff in really helps for them to have a place to keep their own stuff away from the sib's reach.

And headphones. Can't say enough about that. They can pretend they are in their own little world with headphones on. (LOL)

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

That is probably one of the most challenging issues for a family living in an RV. There are ways to allow for small private space inside of the RV but some of that privacy must also come from just respecting boundaries, even for a couple. It seems to be more difficult to deal with for daughters than for sons. I suggest that you may find more help by visiting Families on the Road or perhaps Fulltime Famlies since we don't have a lot of families who stay active with us on these forums. We are trying to encourage more of them so please do return to share the things that you do with others and to help us to build a more helpful forum for other families.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have seen a birdhouse that has 2 rear rooms split by a bathroom. They would each have their own room. Another solution is a toyhauler and build 2 rooms in back.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

• 2 weeks later...

There have to be others out there that have learned how to cope with children on the road. What suggestions? Good times to share?

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

SWCHORD,

We have been full timing with our boys (11&15) for over two years now, sold the home and purchased a new home. We started with a bunk house and then moved to a toyhauler. Wished we would have started with the toyhauler, could have save us $$$ down the road. The "Boys Cave" as we call it, was smartly organized to meet their desires and also quickly transforms into a school room during the day (when school is in). We have installed a dresser for them to share and a few other modification to make it more of bedroom then a school room. They have their own TV/Radio/DVD Player/Gaming area and a place to call theirs. On nice days they drop the garage door down and open it up a little more (3 season doors). The older boy has the top bunk and the younger boys utilizes the bottom, we quickly transforms his bed into a school room in no time. My boys have adjusted nicely to this type of lifestyle and we (wife and I) strive hard to minimize the time we spend inside as much as mother nature allows us. We have set rules about closed doors, if we know one or both are in their room - we always knock before opening the door, provides them with a since of ownership vice sharing something (the room). I've also installed sliding curtain for the top bunk, giving my older boys a little more privacy (I've notice over the last six months he does not utilize them as much). If you have any other questions, please post them and I'll do my be to help you out.

Enjoy your future travels.

Full Timer with Family

2015 Voltage 3970

2013 Chevy CC 3500 DRW LTZ (Black)

Ido, that's what we did, too. We used a toy hauler with double (queen? king?) bunk beds in the garage for sleeping space for the four teen boys. It was nice to be able to shut that door between them and us, plus they had their own bathroom back there. We never converted the bottom bed into a school table, as we just did school on the kitchen table or outside. The only downside is, well, it's a garage. We put an area rug down in there to make it feel a bit more homey, plus they hung posters on the walls. I used Command hooks to hang their towels and school clipboards on the walls, plus a pocket organizer for the upper bunk. Another downside is insulation. On the cold nights we had to run a space heater in there, and on the hot days the AC unit in there ran non-stop. But that was a small trade-off for the space and privacy.

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

• 2 months later...

Archived