How Slow is Too Slow?

Kevin H

I drove the motorhome pulling the Avalanche in rush hour through the mix-master. I didn't have a problem. I would put on my blinker and watch for a car behind me to slow down and blink their highs at me. Driving during rush hour in any metro area takes planning. I would stop before entering the area to walk the dogs, get a bite to eat and use the restroom. I would also take out the map, and write the directions down and tape it to the steering wheel.

Karen

I hated going through there in the car, no way would I have done the motorhome - my hat is off to you! Which way were you going? I think if you are staying on the same road (say I-35 south, or I-30 west) it wouldn't be so bad. We always seem to be switching from one road to the other to get downtown, etc., and often times there would be a wreck in one of the lanes to add fun!

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hated going through there in the car, no way would I have done the motorhome - my hat is off to you! Which way were you going? I think if you are staying on the same road (say I-35 south, or I-30 west) it wouldn't be so bad. We always seem to be switching from one road to the other to get downtown, etc., and often times there would be a wreck in one of the lanes to add fun!

Barb

They don't call that area malfunction junction for nothing. Some days are good and some are bad if you drive through on a good day you will wonder what all the fuse is about . But if you catch it on a bad day it will break you from ever trying that route again.

Most of the truck drivers that I know just try to stay away ,its just not worth the chance.

I too drive 60-65 for safety of my DW and I, fuel mileage aside. I've never seen a truck or MH tire rated for over 75 MPH. ST trailer tires are rated at 65 MPH except for one brand (Maxxis I think) rated at 75.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Key word is MAY and no. 5. I will try to find the citation and see what section he refered to.

Sec. 545.058. DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER. (a) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done safely, but only:

(1) to stop, stand, or park;

(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled lane of traffic;

(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;

(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped on the main traveled portion of the highway, disabled, or preparing to make a left turn;

(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;

Some years ago, my cousin received a ticket for driving on the right shoulder on a TX 2-lane highway. He pulled over (driving his CL C MH) cars passed him. One passed him then turned right just in front of him, resulting in a collision. He was ticketed for failure to yield, driving right of solid white line, and something else. The officer told him it was not legal to drive on the shoulder of the roadway to allow other vehicles to pass even though it is common practice in TX.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 36 going from Abiline to Gatesville there are several passing zones where you can see the "Lane ends , merge right" sign before you you get to the passing lane. There is even one zone where the sign is before you get to the passing area. I do not move over for these areas.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Barb

Barb: I came in to the DFW metro area from the east, went around the north side, then headed north on 35. It was evening rush hour. I was mentally prepared. I have driven through every major city during rush hour except got Los Angeles. The toughest was Seattle. I came down from Capital Hill, and the turn on to 5 N was so close. If I hadn't made the turn, rush hour would have been stalled.

Karen

Roger & Karen

Roger USN Captain (retired) submarine service

Karen Captain (retired) pilot

2014 Winnebago Tour 42GD

Toad Chevy Avalanche

Travel six months

At home in coastal Maine six months

Not sure why you wouldn't have taken I635 north up and around from any east highway and then hit I35, thereby avoiding everything downtown.

We have decided the only truly calm way to get around Seattle is to go over to the east side of the Cascades and then back once past !

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

In Indiana hill country we have "truck lanes/slow vehicle lanes" on 2-lane highways. Their purpose is plain, and Indiana statutes give traffic in the truck lane right-of-way at the end of that lane, however slower traffic must use that "truck" lane. Passing traffic must slow/ yield to traffic in far-right lane.

That sounds good Ray and for all I know may be true in TX and other places but more often (not always) drivers in that lane do their best to get past the rv or truck or whatever so they won't be stuck behind. I keep in mind that is how it works in real life. Another law that is good and sometimes really dangerous to traffic in general is the one about moving over for law enforcement or emergency personnel or slow down. It makes a lot of drivers worse trying to comply with the law.

Guest ticat900

In Indiana hill country we have "truck lanes/slow vehicle lanes" on 2-lane highways. Their purpose is plain, and Indiana statutes give traffic in the truck lane right-of-way at the end of that lane, however slower traffic must use that "truck" lane. Passing traffic must slow/ yield to traffic in far-right lane.

Are you talking about when the passing lane ends and it becomes two lane again I assume? If so all states and provinces have that law

Well, it may be the law in all states but apparently the only people who know that are the ones reading this thread!! My experience has been mostly as Bigjim stated, generally people do not yield to me at the end of the truck lane. In TX there seem to be a lot of very short truck lanes on two lane roads that are almost useless when towing, especially knowing that the traffic is unlikely to yield to the slower truck traffic in the right lane at the end. Often what I will do is move back into the left lane as soon as I pass the Lane Ends Ahead or Merge Left sign. Occasionally a hot headed speed demon will pass me on the right between the Lane Ends sign and the actual end of the lane. Waiting much longer to move over runs the risk on not getting in and winding up driving on the shoulder, if there is one! As Bigjim said it seems people are more concerned about being behind a truck or RV rather than being courteous and following the law. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

I apologize for my previous post, it has nothing to do with the topic "how slow is too slow'. I have nothing to add to the topic.

Just my opinion/observation but many threads have drifted far afield from the OPs topic and sometimes those turn out to be the more interesting threads. Just like this thread, I might not get involved until the topic has changed slightly and I feel "the urge" to join the conversation. As long as a post avoids violating forum decorum rules and adds to the conversation I wouldn't expect one to apologize for posting. I found RayIN's post interesting and informative even if it was a slight diversion from the original topic. My follow on post was also a diversion from the original topic and I don't feel I need to apologize for it. I'll leave decisions about appropriateness of posts up to the moderators. If you don't see me on the forums after this you'll know I was wrong!! :rolleyes: Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Just my opinion/observation but many threads have drifted far afield from the OPs topic and sometimes those turn out to be the more interesting threads. Just like this thread, I might not get involved until the topic has changed slightly and I feel "the urge" to join the conversation. As long as a post avoids violating forum decorum rules and adds to the conversation I wouldn't expect one to apologize for posting. I found RayIN's post interesting and informative even if it was a slight diversion from the original topic. My follow on post was also a diversion from the original topic and I don't feel I need to apologize for it. I'll leave decisions about appropriateness of posts up to the moderators. If you don't see me on the forums after this you'll know I was wrong!! :rolleyes: Best Wishes, Jay

I also agree that sometimes when it goes off topic it becomes more interesting. I'm never offended if my post goes off topic. It makes it fun to see how far the discussion can go. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

....what Jay said....

I totally agree. I view these topics as a conversation which starts with a topical area but may drift. There is lots of good info in the "drift".

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

.........The driving on shoulders thing is a long time Texas practice where slower drivers will pull off the main lane onto the shoulder ostensibly allowing others to pass. The shoulder remains the shoulder, not an added lane as above.

It was probably born as a courtesy but in reality is a bit discerning due to most drivers not being used to having moving traffic on the shoulder. From a safety perspective, there is no margin for error when the shoulder and the main lanes are both occupied. Also, as noted, there is a lot of debris on the shoulders. Things can and do get thrown up..........

The driving on shoulders is a long time rural thing. We even have one highway outside of town that is signed to the effect.

Unfortunately, hardly anybody reads highway signs AND most people today never lived in rural areas. So I gave it up after watching people hang behind me with a clear passing lane because they could not figure out what I was doing!!!

Safety trumps courtesy.

I am always amazed when I see passing lanes and they are quite common in our area that drivers hang behind for a long, long time and then finally start to pass just as the lane disappears!!! Why don't they read the signs announcing the passing lanes and get in position to pass.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Archived