New to forum and RVing

jtl2

Hello from Georgia. We just ordered a new TT and I'm looking forward to retirement in 2015 (October). Still deciding on a lot of "things" right now and trying to plan for the RV life in about 10 months.

John & Sherrie

John & Sherrie

Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS

Welcome John & Sherrie. Congrats on your new RV. Tell us a little about it, like, brand, length, floor plan. What truck are you pulling with? What are your plans up till October?

This is a fun bunch. All sorts of personalities with one thing in common - we all have opinions and BOY HOWDY, do we like to share them.

Welcome!!!

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

Welcome to the RV lifestyle! We are happy that you have chosen us to join and we promise to do all that we are able to assist and support you. Please feel free to post on any of our forums with questions, comments or whatever strikes your fancy. We try to make new folks as welcome here as possible.

If you are new to RV living I suggest that you consider reading a book or two on the subject. You can find a good assortment on Amazon or there are probably some in your local library as well. I would also invite you to check out the websites and blogs of those who post here. Many of us have live links to our personal web locations in our signature lines so check those out. If you would like, consider this an invitation to start with ours!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Welcome John & Sherrie. Congrats on your new RV. Tell us a little about it, like, brand, length, floor plan. What truck are you pulling with? What are your plans up till October?

This is a fun bunch. All sorts of personalities with one thing in common - we all have opinions and BOY HOWDY, do we like to share them.

Welcome!!!

Thanks! We ordered a Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS after looking at quite a few (other brands/models, etc...), we were impressed with the quality and attention to detail. Around 37' long hitch to stern and a rear living layout, triple slide, dual air 50amp. It should get here (to Georgia) in a couple of months so we can figure the systems out before we hit the road. Still shopping trucks, which is almost as confusing as shopping trailers. Then have to decide on where to domicile, Tennessee would be great based on our families. I'm sure October will roll around before we know it. Would love to do a boot camp, will have to put that on our list.

John & Sherrie

I just googled your RV and it looks like a nice layout! It looks like they took a conventional 5th wheel interior layout and amenities and put them on a single level.

With a proper truck with bed cap for storage, ya'll are set!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Just make sure that you do "real" numbers and not what the sales folks tell you.

Your going to be at that "just almost" point on the Ford F150 / F250 line. (and probably the others) - http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/14FLRV&TT_F150_Sep11.pdf. The trailer GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight). Trailer (also looked at it, very nice) Gross Weight is 10,995 and the truck rating is 11,000. Your going to have some decisions there and some real close look at numbers. I would be VERY heavily leaning on a F250 or equivalent. (No choice in my mind, it would be a 250 - brakes, drive train, cooling, frame, etc.)

When you get closer to brand and body, we can run some real numbers.

I'm normally a Ford guy, but I've been looking at the RAM 2500 6.4 hemi. From the RAM towing guide using the VIN number from the dealers site looks like it would handle both the DW and myself, trailer tongue weight and 800 pounds of gear in the bed and still have room for the trailer GVWR.

John

John & Sherrie

I know it's a pretty big price step, but if you do the 2500 / 250, do a diesel. Then you get the exhaust brake, then you never will worry about gong down a mountain again.

I would rather have plastic seats and manual crank windows and a diesel, then a luxury gasser towing a heavy trailer be it travel trailer, 5th wheel, goose neck, whatever. The extra torque and brake ability is well worth it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

, I'm sure October will roll around before we know it. Would love to do a boot camp, will have to put that on our list.

If you can get away, we would love to see you at Escapade in Tucson in March! As you consider where to call home when on the road, I suggest that you take the time to read through this article about selecting a domicile as you consider this question.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you can get away, we would love to see you at Escapade in Tucson in March! As you consider where to call home when on the road, I suggest that you take the time to read through this article about selecting a domicile as you consider this question.

Thanks for the invite, March is going to be bad timing for my work (hopefully last year I have to say that). I had read through your article earlier, we have a little bit of experience in moving around since I was a contractor for a number of years. We have lived for a period of time in several of the south-eastern states and have had to decide "tax home" multiple times. I know we won't use Georgia. Florida or Texas would be second to Tennessee for us (dividend income isn't an issue).

John

John & Sherrie

I would also like to welcome you to Escapees. You might find the weather in Tn. is not quite so friendly in winter as Fl. or Tx. It is showery today, but we just went through a week of sun and high 70's here in central Fl. Also be sure to check the insurance requirements in your state of choice. Is your med. insurance accepted?

There are many considerations in choosing a Domicile state.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Archived