WIFIRanger Firmware Update

Wayfarer

I updated my GO2 to 6.6.5p1 but did not have my mobile at the time. Now when I have the mobile connected to my GO2 using WFR Control and click on check for updates from the main screen the GO2 checks and does not find new firmware for the mobile. If I use the View control panel and go to the mobile control panel and check for updates the blue bar just keeps moving from left to right and never stops.

I reset everything to factory defaults and tried to connect directly to the mobile but for some reason was not able to.

How do I upgrade my mobile?

Tom

Tom:

The update bar can often take several minutes to indicate an update is available. It has to establish a VPN-like tunnel and sometimes there can be delays in doing that. However, if you are convinced it won't stop just "moving from left to right" you can follow the suggestions below:

1) The easiest thing to do would be to operate the Mobile as a standalone and access it's control panel using its ID number. However, this assumes that you have a Power Over Ethernet (POE) adapter other than what's built into the Go so you may not be able to take this approach

2) If you don't have another POE then use the Go's control panel and deactivate WFRControl (make sure to SAVE after doing so). You may have to reboot at that point but you should be able to directly connect to the Mobile by looking for it's Control Panel using it's ID (the number that begins with 77). If it's ID number is 77ABCD its Control Panel will be located at 10.1AB.CD.1

3) Once you've connected to the Mobile you should have no problem clicking on the update link. Be patient, it can still take several minutes for it to show an update. Once it shows the update link, click on it and watch it update.

4) After the Mobile has updated you will need to reactivate the WFRControl setting on your Go.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Thanks Joel. I have seen way too much time trying to get this to work. I do have separate a POE but could not connect to the mobile for some reason. I used the GO2 and turned off WFRControl and saved the settings and did get connected to the mobile and actually got started with a download and it stalled at 10%. I then noticed that somehow the WFRControl was turned back on. At some point in process I got connected again and showed an update. When I clicked on the update I got the pop up warning and then nothing happened. I used WFRControl to reset the mobile and I still can not connect to it using a separate POE. It should not be this difficult given the money we pay for this setup. :-)

Tom

Tom:

The update bar can often take several minutes to indicate an update is available. It has to establish a VPN-like tunnel and sometimes there can be delays in doing that. However, if you are convinced it won't stop just "moving from left to right" you can follow the suggestions below:

1) The easiest thing to do would be to operate the Mobile as a standalone and access it's control panel using its ID number. However, this assumes that you have a Power Over Ethernet (POE) adapter other than what's built into the Go so you may not be able to take this approach

2) If you don't have another POE then use the Go's control panel and deactivate WFRControl (make sure to SAVE after doing so). You may have to reboot at that point but you should be able to directly connect to the Mobile by looking for it's Control Panel using it's ID (the number that begins with 77). If it's ID number is 77ABCD its Control Panel will be located at 10.1AB.CD.1

3) Once you've connected to the Mobile you should have no problem clicking on the update link. Be patient, it can still take several minutes for it to show an update. Once it shows the update link, click on it and watch it update.

4) After the Mobile has updated you will need to reactivate the WFRControl setting on your Go.

Joel

Thanks Joel. I have seen way too much time trying to get this to work. I do have separate a POE but could not connect to the mobile for some reason. I used the GO2 and turned off WFRControl and saved the settings and did get connected to the mobile and actually got started with a download and it stalled at 10%. I then noticed that somehow the WFRControl was turned back on. At some point in process I got connected again and showed an update. When I clicked on the update I got the pop up warning and then nothing happened. I used WFRControl to reset the mobile and I still can not connect to it using a separate POE. It should not be this difficult given the money we pay for this setup. :-)

Tom

Tom:

My suggestion is open a support ticket on the WFR website. One of the tech support staff can "push" the update to your Mobile. Just connect everything back up with WFR Control and give them the ID number.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

What.... OK... Guess it's time to get the WFR out of the 'things forgotten drawer' and do another update.... :P

Have to admit it has survived in that drawer for a couple of years now, and works after every update for a matter of days.... :rolleyes:

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Not all WFR can be updated. Mine is fairly old and, after a discussion with Ranger, I need to send it back after our trip. They even tried to push the update with no success.

The older "black" units are pretty much outdated due to their limited RAM and slow processors. The original Go series does fine with the current software and even with the "advanced" 7.0 update that will be released early in 2015.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

What.... OK... Guess it's time to get the WFR out of the 'things forgotten drawer' and do another update.... :P

Have to admit it has survived in that drawer for a couple of years now, and works after every update for a matter of days.... :rolleyes:

Dave

If you have issues with your hardware you should bring it to our attention. There is no reason why it should not continue to work properly.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I have a GO2 and my mobile is silver colored. Neither are much more than year old so updating should not be a problem. I put in a trouble ticket so we will see what happens. What I can't understand is why I can not connect to the mobile directly? It also appears as though the GO2 is getting better signal strength than the mobile. We will see what happens after the update.

The older "black" units are pretty much outdated due to their limited RAM and slow processors. The original Go series does fine with the current software and even with the "advanced" 7.0 update that will be released early in 2015.

If the Go2 is getting better signal than the Mobile, and you have clear LOS on the Mobile, then you have an issue. Perhaps water in the antenna connector. There could be many reasons. But you have a problem.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have a GO2 and my mobile is silver colored. Neither are much more than year old so updating should not be a problem. I put in a trouble ticket so we will see what happens. What I can't understand is why I can not connect to the mobile directly? It also appears as though the GO2 is getting better signal strength than the mobile. We will see what happens after the update.

According to the WFR tech support team your Mobile has now been updated to 6.6.5p1 and is online with your Go2 using WFRControl. If you have any other issues please let us know.

Always check the actual signal levels for your devices using the numerical display that appears when you "hover over" the signal bars on the control panel main page. Do not rely on the bars themselves. If your Mobile continues to show a weaker signal than the Go2 there may be other issues at play as Jack suggests.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Thanks Joel. The Mobile is updated and working as I would anticipate. I am now getting many more and stronger signals from the Mobile than from the GO2. Awaiting the 7.0 update you mentioned earlier.

Thanks again for all you do to help us with our problems most of which are user inflicted problems. :-)

Tom

According to the WFR tech support team your Mobile has now been updated to 6.6.5p1 and is online with your Go2 using WFRControl. If you have any other issues please let us know.

Always check the actual signal levels for your devices using the numerical display that appears when you "hover over" the signal bars on the control panel main page. Do not rely on the bars themselves. If your Mobile continues to show a weaker signal than the Go2 there may be other issues at play as Jack suggests.

Joel

Archived