When you get frustrated with RV forums take a look at the alternatives...

docj

I'm sure that all of us, from time to time, have found the discussions here a bit repetitive and wonder why the same questions get asked over and over and why it's so hard to separate fact from opinion or simply wrong information.

Well, I'm here to tell you that you'll love this forum even more than you already do if you spend some time on the Facebook groups that purport to serve full-timers and other RVers. I've been spending quite a bit of time in those groups and I can tell you that the level of understanding exhibited there by the average user is absolutely scary. Many of the folks in those groups are part of the younger generation of RVers who are living in RVs out of necessity (for example to seek jobs in different cities) or simply because they've decided to engage in a nomadic lifestyle. Unfortunately, many of them appear not to know much, if anything, about the RVs they own.

I'm writing this post after, this morning, having helped one person understand that her RV furnace does need both electricity and propane in order to function. I also participated in a lengthy thread in which several individuals were providing "assistance" by stating that "you can get more power out of your 30A RV if you plug it into a 50A pedestal" and/or that "plugging a 30A RV into a 50A pedestal" was a terribly dangerous thing to do. These are but a couple of the sorts of discussions that are commonplace in these groups.

I'm not writing this to make fun of the people who participate there but simply to point out that we here often think that most RVers are like the ones we encounter on this forum and IRV2 and others. I can tell you that there are many thousands of members in these FB groups who know so little about their RVs that they would need a remedial class before they could attend Escapees Boot Camp! :rolleyes:

So the next time you are out, if you see that your neighbor is having trouble with what you might consider "the basics" you might want to be helpful because there are a lot of people out there who don't know a tenth of what you do about RVing.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joel, I saw the furnace post and just moved on.....as I typically do in those instances. So I'm very happy you have the patience to help people as you do. I'll help people, but I do want them to at least understand what an RV is, before getting involved. The Facebook discussions are downright scary. iRV2 is not a whole lot better, IMO. But it has improved some.

I realize people have to learn someplace. But a LITTLE effort on their part would go a long way. There are plenty of basic RVing books out there.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If you think IRV2 is bad, try RV.NET. While there are some knowledgeable folks there that try to help, the "Know it all" crowd is simply astounding.

The performance truck forums are the same. When I was doing a little diesel performance stuff it was funny watching someone show up with all the name brand goodies (or at least the stickers) on their truck and have no idea why it wouldn't run any better because they lacked the basic knowledge of what makes an engine run. I eventfully got tired of being constantly argued with and left most of the performance diesel forums.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I have not looked at any RV related FaceBook groups thus far. Which ones to most of you like & why as well as the ones you especially dislike and why? Guess I'll have to look to see what is out there. Thus far my only FB activity has been to friends and family.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you think IRV2 is bad, try RV.NET. While there are some knowledgeable folks there that try to help, the "Know it all" crowd is simply astounding.

The performance truck forums are the same. When I was doing a little diesel performance stuff it was funny watching someone show up with all the name brand goodies (or at least the stickers) on their truck and have no idea why it wouldn't run any better because they lacked the basic knowledge of what makes an engine run. I eventfully got tired of being constantly argued with and left most of the performance diesel forums.

I left the diesel forums too for the same reason. How about the guy who puts the +100 hp tune in his truck and wonders why his new truck blew a transmission . . . and will the dealer know if he brings it in th get repaired under warranty.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

I have not looked at any RV related FaceBook groups thus far. Which ones to most of you like & why as well as the ones you especially dislike and why? Guess I'll have to look to see what is out there. Thus far my only FB activity has been to friends and family.

Kirk:

The principal FB groups I frequent are Full-time Rvers, Full-time RVing, and RV Tips. There's another one called NuRVers but it's more of a social group than an RV resource.

I read far more threads than I comment on. My experience has been that it's very difficult to make an impact because there are so many people spewing misinformation that no one can figure out what is true and what is garbage.

But it can be amusing. :D

Joel

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I settled on just a Thousand Trails group and the Living the RV Dream group. There's really no reason to read more than 1 or 2 general RV groups because people cross post most of the time.

I have to admit that I like the instant audience. When I do a new blog post (campground review, etc.) and share it on FB the hit counter really takes off.

It is funny how some topics just keep coming up: toilet paper is always a big hit. "Should I get a surgeguard" makes the rounds about once a week.

I always thought that one of the best features of an online forum was the mass of archived material. I can't imagine how many hours I've spent researching concerns on this forum - never doing a post, just reading all the good information. You can search on FB but it doesn't hold a candle to a good forum with knowledgeable users like this one.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

The problem on RV.net is compounded by the fact that they totally prevent people who know anything from posting on what they know. For example, because they know I work for WiFiRanger I am totally forbidden from mentioning the brand by name even if I simply include it in a list of routers with WiFi as WAN capability. As a result, I bypass most of the wifi amplifier discussions.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I've been avoiding that Facebook thing until it sticks. Why get involved with new stuff that may not last:)! Now please excuse me, a have to get a message to my sister, and Western Union will be closing soon...

Technologies do change, and culture and habits adjust to the new. I very seldom text, prefer emails and talking on the phone. But my mid 30 Daughter and her friends, very seldom talk on the phone or email each other - several hundred texts a week, is their format of communicating.

I'm teasing about Facebook. In regards to technology and changes in how we do things in society. I've noticed an interesting mix of older friends and family members that seem to get to a point in their lives where 'That's it - I'm not learning something new - again!'. We have a neighbor down the street, that has a DVR. She does not use it, as she got frustrated in trying to learn something new. She had her nephew hook her VCR back into the mix, as that she knew how to set to record. I've commented about this with my wife, that it seems that those that 'stay up' on the current technologies trends - are more alert, mentally sharper. They have interests and activities that keep them engaged. Those that seem to shy away from the newest trends, are not quite as sharp, do not seem as - well I'll use the word 'alive'. Fixed in their ways, and in some cases becoming self made hermits.

I suppose there was a group years ago, that just could not wait for the fad of a new transportation method to fade away... It probably amazed a few, that those Automobiles made it to mainstream!

Oh yeah, got side tracked - off to Western Union for Smitty:)!

Best,

S

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Guest ticat900

QUOTE:If you think IRV2 is bad, try RV.NET. While there are some knowledgeable folks there that try to help, the "Know it all" crowd is simply astounding.

Amazing to hear someone else say this.I left both of those forums because of that and if you argued with any of the good ole boys they would ban you if u would question anything the good ole boys claimed was the truth to the question asked by a OP

With RV.Net being owned by Camping World or one of the subsidiaries, I have been locked out for making several comments about CW being overpriced, unknowledgeable, and idiot staffed.

And then I can't figure out why the C2C account gets messed up..... Its a conspiracy I tell ya :lol:

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I dont do facebook or twitter etc. But it does seem important to make notes on any forum, with regard to who brings proof with them to their replies and threads. Most all forums will have the guessers and other mis-information givers.

The internet is a wonderful thing. But some people try hard to make it no much unfortunately.

I'm a work'n on it.

Joel, I saw the furnace post and just moved on.....as I typically do in those instances. So I'm very happy you have the patience to help people as you do. I'll help people, but I do want them to at least understand what an RV is, before getting involved. The Facebook discussions are downright scary. iRV2 is not a whole lot better, IMO. But it has improved some.

I realize people have to learn someplace. But a LITTLE effort on their part would go a long way. There are plenty of basic RVing books out there.

Now, Jack, you've helped me and I still don't know anything. -_-

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

Hubby saw a post today complaining of a 2000 watt generator not powering anything EXCEPT the 1500 watt electric heater. She expected it to do much more than that and was disappointed. He tried to help but as you say, there is so much misinformation and sometimes even accurate information is told in such a way that it confuses the issue rather than clarifying it.

I'll stick to this forum and a few others.

Sue

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

I gave up on the Good Sam Open Roads forum for this very reason. People on some forums tend to not attempt any searches, just ask the same question again. I have seen the same question asked by different people a day apart and end up back to back on the forum.

The thing that irks me about iRV2 more and more are the slow loading pages and the constant need to refresh. There are many ads that load slowly and I believe the servers are old or the S/W is getting "long in the tooth". It needs a complete overhaul.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

On the same question asked over and over thing, it is important to look to look at the forum design before passing judgement IMO. On one of the ag forums I belong to, that very gripe keeps getting attention. But when say a new comer or even a long time member does a search on this site (SKPs) the topics are locked after about a year, making further discussion impossible. There may be an aspect of the topic not covered that needs to be covered. This makes it seem like the same topic is brought up time and again. But these are discussion forums, and I feel anyway, that it is important to either repeat what you know on a repeat question, or bring a link to the past discussion in to aid the current discussion. IMO.

I'm a work'n on it.

Isn't it great that we were all born so smart, knowing it all, and never having to ask a "REAL DUMB QUESTION"?

Isn't it great that we are all so smart, in the use of forums/computers/software that we can successfully use search functions?

Isn't it great that we were born with the knowledge that RV's have 2 electrical systems ?

Isn't it great that we are friendly, knowledgable, and helpful RV'ers (SKP's), who would rather tell someone to "go look it up" rather than carry on a little dialogue with them ?

Isn't it great that I didn't run across folks like you 35 years ago....before I knew it all ?

Now, what was the question ?

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

The question is-

Why don't people do their own research instead of expecting others to do it for them.

And then cry when they don't get the desired results.

Hummmmm!! I think that question has been ask before. Do a search and you may find the answer. :D

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

You know written posts are just two dimensional. People like me that are very direct with their written words can quickly get into trouble with moderators. I've been a member of this forum for more than 5 and a half years. All of my posts have a warning points reminder to me to be nice, I guess. I've never seen that reminder on any other members posts.

I wonder if the person that tagged me with that reminder even knows why? I also wonder if it detracts from the validity of the information presented in my posts?

FastEagle

Everest 363K 38'
Dodge DRW 3500 Turbo Diesel
USN Retired - DOD Retired

You're the only one that sees your warning points, and you don't get to see any other member's warning points. The forum administrators are the only ones that can assign points to you.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

FastEagle, it is very good you have no points....you are playing nice with people ;)

It is sometimes difficult on a forum to really get the gist of what someone is intending....no body language or sound nuances. And limited back and forth. So things sometimes come out wrong. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt....usually.

As to the level of base knowledge and peoples response to that.....well, lets just say that the basics of RVing are available to anyone in many forms. Self education on the basics, or an attempt at it, seems to me to be a "required course" before asking others. But that is just me. That is why I don't generally respond to the "what is an RV" questions.....I don't critique those who ask them - I just move on.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I wonder if the person that tagged me with that reminder even knows why? I also wonder if it detracts from the validity of the information presented in my posts?

The "warning points" tag is a function of the software this forum is running (off the shelf, or purchased program) and have nothing to do with being tagged by anyone. Each person who posts is able to see his own "warning points" and not those of any other member unless they have administrative rights. The function is used by admin staff to know who has run afoul of the rules in the past and should it happen too frequently they might ban the offender. The admin is the only one who can give points and they also send an email to the member to state why the points were given. If your "warning points" are shown as 0, that means that you have never come to their attention such that you were given any warnings. The only reason that you see one on your posts only is because you do not have admin rights, but rest assured that everyone has those "points" and that some who post here see a number other than 0.

On that same subject, if someone makes a post that offends you, there is a "Report" along the bottom of each post which allows you to ask admin to take a look at that post. Once that report is sent you hear no more unless it is one of the rare cases where admin removes the offending post, which would show but they don't respond to you, only to the author of that offending post, if they agree that the post violated the forum rules, which can be found via a link at the bottom right of each page of the forum.

As to the level of base knowledge and peoples response to that.....well, lets just say that the basics of RVing are available to anyone in many forms. Self education on the basics, or an attempt at it, seems to me to be a "required course" before asking others. But that is just me. That is why I don't generally respond to the "what is an RV" questions.....I don't critique those who ask them - I just move on.

Everyone has a different view of this issue and I suppose that I try to err to the side of friendliness. To me, the issue is one of honesty on the part of the person who asks. It may be that the one posting really doesn't know what an RV is and if you are lacking enough in knowledge you may also not know where to start. If that bothers you then take Jack's advice and simply ignore the post but we should all try and avoid any sort of "critique" of the person's post as that is the job of admin. If it really offends you, use the "Report" function and move on. There are very few questions that can be asked on forums like this which have been around for a long time that nobody has ever asked before. But to revisit something frequently asked is not a bad thing because the best answer may not be in the original thread or the proper answer may have changed with new technology or knowledge. If you know that there are good answers already on the forum for the question asked, a more friendly response might be to post a link to those threads and/or post a brief explanation of how to search for them.

We need to remember that regardless of how expert any of us have become, there was a time when we first began to take an interest in RVs and the RV lifestyle and someone helped us to get started also. Now it is our turn to help those new people who have no past experience and possibly so little knowledge as to have no idea what they need to ask. If the Escapee's RV Club and this web forum are to stay healthy and grow, new members who have little or no RV experience are the best way to make that happen.Escapees club was founded on friendship and helping others so in my view that should be the primary purpose of these forums. When someone posts who knows nothing, perhaps we need to be help him change that condition?

Archived