Valve extender for inside tires

KodiakJack

Santa came down the chimney with a couple more sensors for our tire pressure monitoring system. I plan to install them for the inside rear tires on our DRW pickup. The pickup is in Arizona we're in central Washington so I can't quite visualize the best extender to get for our Chevy. So thought I'd ask what valve extender do you use for your duel wheel rig?

Later

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I don't carry extenders but you might try here. http://store.alwaysshinywheelsandrv.com/

Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

If I was going to do a dually pickup, I would have metal valve stems put in first, then do a Cross Fire system with the extra schrader valves in the lines. I messed with several "systems" made for dually pickups but never found one that wouldn't leak over time. Using what the pro's use is definitely worth while.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I agree on not using the screw on extenders. In the past I've had them work, and I've had them leak. No matter what you did with them. I know there are some people that use them without problems, but to me it is just a problem waiting to happen.

I like the long tire stems, and any shop can install them.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I agree on not using the screw on extenders. In the past I've had them work, and I've had them leak. No matter what you did with them. I know there are some people that use them without problems, but to me it is just a problem waiting to happen.

I like the long tire stems, and any shop can install them.

X2

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

The longer tire stems does seem to make the most since. I will just have to wait until I get back south after the holidays and hunt down a tire shop. Time to rotate anyway. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Later,

J

The problem with the long stems is if u want to rotate inside to outside u have to change the stems each time, they are less likely to leak though than extenders, I have been using extenders for years and have not had a problem, maybe just good luck

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

Got mine at at Wall-mart they have been on the inside dually wheels since 2008 with not a problem.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

The aluminum wheels on my 3500 Silverado can only be rotated from left to right in the same position (i.e. LF to RF and LRO to RRO). The rear inners however can rotate with the spare. Since I rotate using the spare so that I to only have to lift one tire at a time I will need to put longer stems on all 3 of these wheels. Good point about using longer tire stems. Thanks for pointing it out.

Later,

J

PS Hate to sound like a salmon on the bank flopping around but I am now once again considering extenders. Maybe I'll give them a try.

PSS I have the TireMinder system.

If I was going to do a dually pickup, I would have metal valve stems put in first, then do a Cross Fire system with the extra schrader valves in the lines. I messed with several "systems" made for dually pickups but never found one that wouldn't leak over time. Using what the pro's use is definitely worth while.

The inherent problem with the Crossfire system is when using a TPMS, which is the OP's intent, the sensor will not tell when one of the dualls is flat or losing air on the monitor.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The inherent problem with the Crossfire system is when using a TPMS, which is the OP's intent, the sensor will not tell when one of the dualls is flat or losing air on the monitor.

Post #15 of this topic. They have the hoses with an extra schrader valve for your TPMS system.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=109925&hl=

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Post #15 of this topic. They have the hoses with an extra schrader valve for your TPMS system.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=109925&hl=

I agree, this is what it says: Q: If the Crossfire reads black, which one of the tires is low?

A: If you put an air gauge on the Crossfire when it is black, it will read the outside tire.

The TPMS is in effect a tire gauge, and will not read the inner dual per the Crossfire website.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

You can order the Cross Fire system with the original schrader valve for adding air to the tires, AND an additional schrader valve on each line going to each individual tire that you place your TPMS sensor on.

This way you have the equalizing ability of the CrossFire, the isolation ability of the CrossFire, and the ability to read the tire and temp pressure of the tires from the cab. If a tire starts loosing air, the Crossfire will isolate that tire and your TPMS will tell you what tire is going down.

http://dualdynamics.com/products/cross-fire/parts-number

If you look at the CF-100-STV, you'll see that you can order these. The middle number is the air pressure that they are set at. Yo can order any air pressure range from 70-150psi ie.-CF-80-STV which I have.

If you give the guy a call from my first link, Ed Donnelly, can set you up with what you need, including a shorter hose for the 19.5 rims.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

So, Jim, is it working well having the dual sensors?

I'd like an easy way to air up the inner dual. It would seem the crossfire would provide that, since it equalizes across both. So I only air at the input side of the crossfire and I'm done. Not that I air that often, but anything that makes dealing with duals easier is IMO a safety element - minor as it may be.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Well, now I'm confused_again. Does the Crossfire system tell you, at drivers seat, if one of the duals is loosing air? Again referencing the Crossfire FAQ page, stating if the indicator is black, only the outer dual pressure is measured. Or, Do you still need to install a TPMS??? I presently use a TST 507 TPMS system(flow-through), which extends the inner stem enough to add air without effort.

The crossfire won't tell you anything from the drivers seat. It only shows info on a walkaround. The TPMS WILL tell you at the drivers seat though.

The benefit of the CF to me would be 1) ease of airing the inner dual and outer at the same time. 2)....well I can't think of a two.....

www.jackdanmayer.com

There are no easy answers here. Fact is, the space is limited and the fixes are prone to failure. Works for some, not for others.

I've resigned myself to the fact that it's a pain in the ass. Chevy 3500 DRW..... To get to the rear wheel valves the plastic "hub cap" has to come off....

Answer: Battery powered drill with the necessary hardware to "zoom zoom" the plastic nuts. Off in less than a minute, do your thing.

No leaks.

No, it's not easy but it works and it's reliable.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Archived