ECR - Question of Interest

SuiteSuccess

I have been informed that Fitzgeralds Glider Kits is located near Crossville. Here is the link for those unfamiliar with the glider concept. Look under FAQs on the website. http://fitzgeraldgliderkits.com If there is enough interest I will try to set up a tour of the facility as part of the ECR activities. Please post here if interested.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I've been suggesting that specifically for 3 years now

Acknowledged :)

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Count me in..... Charlie

Thanks for the suggestion this year Charlie :)

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Do I understand this correctly? A Glider is a new cab with a rebuilt chassis. The manufacturer then takes a pre-emissions Detroit engine and drops it into the chassis? Or something like that...

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Do I understand this correctly? A Glider is a new cab with a rebuilt chassis. The manufacturer then takes a pre-emissions Detroit engine and drops it into the chassis? Or something like that...

That's my understanding. This concept is new to me also so someone may explain it a little more thoroughly. Seems like you could have the chassis any length you wanted from the outset which might save adding extensions for hitches, etc. again hope someone with more knowledge will comment.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

A glider "kit" typically has everything a new truck has except the engine and transmission. Sometimes the rear axles are left off too. with most manufacturers you order the truck similar to ordering a new one - put on the options you want. Then add your own engine and trans. With the turnkey glider kit companies you have less choice of accessories, but you still get it pretty much the way you want it - within the scope of work that they do. Some will do things others will not.

The biggest benefit is reusing your own engine/trans on a tired body....way cheaper than a new truck. OR, to avoid pollution control you can spec a new body, and then have a rebuilt non EGT/pollution engine put in it.

It is not really all that much cheaper than a new truck, although it "can" be, but you can avoid some of the things that new trucks have. Most of the gliders I have seen built have run in the $120 range but it is highly variable depending on the work you do and the specs. I've toyed with the idea of doing a glider based on the large Argosy cab....but have not really priced it out.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Okay folks have a tour of the factory set up. Actual factory about an hour west of Crossville. Will look at schedule and post the date on the rally site.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

You guys are going to love it there even if it is a bit bittersweet for a Volvo owner. Nice work Suite!!

Be sure to leave your checkbooks at home and be sure to have your wives keep you out of the sales office...... You won't be able to resist their DDEC4 T660 when you come across it. Get one of those and you'll be untouchable at the fuel pump - drive it right and ain't nobody going to come even close to the mileage of that truck! It'll solve all your forward headlighting woes as well. ;)

10450038_938574972825905_475408064110278

Man, you guys are killing me. It sure is tempting to come to the Rally, but I'm committed for April :(

I would LOVE to see that facility.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

We will miss you Jack, but I'll try to take a lot of pictures so you can be envious ;)

BTW if you wanna send me a blank signed check, I'm sure we could come up with something for you?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Hey, RIck, go ahead and get that KW. I have a home for a black Volvo..... :) I do wish it was a little taller, though. But I can sacrifice.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Guest Lostinaz

A few years ago an O/O here in town got a new Pete with an old re-built 6NZ C-15 from Fitzgerald.

Nice truck-no modern emission or electronic problems.

It was called a "rolling glider kit" from Pete-it came with brand new rear ends from the Pete factory.

Fitzgerald put the old CAT and a re-built 13 speed in it. Way better than this new BS with DEF and all.

Hard to find E model or 6NZ C-15s anymore. Still a lot of old Detroits around for now.

Archived