Airstream Travel Trailers

AlCherry

We owned an Airstream back in the 80's & loved it. When we were in a storm we felt so protected & safe while the wind was howling outside. That trailer was like an airplane letting all the wind just blow right by with out any noticeable disturbance inside. Now when we're in a storm inside of our class A MH, I often think of how nice the Airstream was. Dave

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

They are not for us. We spent some time in them at the Tampa Rv show last week and the quality looked pretty good to us. I have always liked them but they never fit our needs.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

A little history.

Airstream built slide-outs for models 28' to 34' from the late nineties to about 2006. They produced around 85 in total.

The Wally Byam estate sold Airstream to Beatrice in 1967. Beatrice was a conglomerate that didn't do well with Airstream. Wade Thompson (an entrepreneur) and Peter Orthwein (an investment banker) partnered to buy Hi-Lo in 1977. In 1980 Thompson and Orthwein acquired Airstream from Beatrice and formed a new company called Thor after the first two letters of their surnames. The amazing thing is that Beatrice wanted to sell Airstream so badly that they did so with no money down. Airstream lost $12 million in 1979 under Beatrice. In its first full year under Thor, Airstream made $1 million. If it wasn't for Thompson and Orthwein, Airstream would be extinct. In essence, Airstream created Thor.

I own a 2008 Airstream 34. My CCC with full water and propane is approximately 3,000 lbs per the weight label located inside the trailer from the factory. My GRWR is 11,500 lbs. Prior to 2005, Airstream 34's had a GVWR of 10,000 lbs.

Airstream owners usually have alumunitius in their blood. It's like owing a sailboat - it's either in your blood or not.

Dave

Dave

2008 Airstream 34’ Classic Trailer

Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins CTD

Never an Airstream, but did have a 34' Avion for several years. It was an absolute delight. Don't think I'll ever own anything again quite like it. I've looked at the new Airstreams, but for my needs and their prices, it isn't going to happen. Plus, IMHO, the workmanship anymore isn't consistent with the price.

Never an Airstream, but did have a 34' Avion for several years. It was an absolute delight. Don't think I'll ever own anything again quite like it. I've looked at the new Airstreams, but for my needs and their prices, it isn't going to happen. Plus, IMHO, the workmanship anymore isn't consistent with the price.

Years back my Uncle had an Avion....absolutely the best quality ever..and much better that even the Airstreams. :)

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

We met a fellow with an Airstream Motorhome! I had never seen one and did not know they even existed. It was a distinct looking coach. I've heard nothing but good about the AS but have never owned one. I don't think I've ever been in one! Expense and room are the main thing that kept us from seriously considering them. Good luck. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

I looked at a used Air Stream motorhome once that was in decent shape and the price wasn't bad. It was an individual unit and they were selling a 13ft Scamp fiberglass also and real reasonable, too. I ended up buying the scamp and on the first camping trip with it I decided I would be getting into RVing. Life things happened and I ended up in an early medical retirement and almost homeless and I sold the scamp for a small profit and fell into my 1st. TT by accident, got my 1st volunteer position about5 months later again by pure dumb luck which caused me to join Escapees for the voicemail and mail service and it has been downhill ever since. ;) Fortunatly I like coasting downhill. If it wasn't for all that you all wouldn't be having to put up with me. :rolleyes:

Archived