Upgrading the truck...

yzg

So I bought my MDT and had it shipped to my house..it arrived a couple of night ago.

Really pleased...but I want to change some things :) ..and the manufacture of this truck is no longer in business.

So I was in the city yesterday so i went to a very large "parts for trucks" store...I saw lots of goodies..

I am not sure if this is normal, but there wasn't a single price tag anywhere I looked...so you were forced to talk to someone.

The driver's seat is tired and quite frankly, I want a good seat for my back and asked a gent about a seat with no price tag on it....he knew it would fit a hdt but didn't know if it would fit a mdt. No brand name..nothing on it. He said that the more expensive seat, the better the seat..

I asked him about soundproofing material..he said that panels in the cabs are of such that you cannot add any after the manufacturing process. Huh ?

I am visiting a friend of mine that owns a dump truck/backhoe company to see if there are any truck graveyards or salvage yards around.

What is the favorite drivers/passenger's seat that is used here..will a hdt seat fot a mdt ?

Can you insulate the cab on a mdt ?

Is there a massive parts store in Canada ?

Thanks

Ian.

Ian

For Ontario west you could try Fort Garry Industries http://www.fgiltd.com/index.php probably doesn't help you. Traction http://www.traction.com/ is the truck version of UAP. I see no reason why you can't remove most of the interior and put sound deadoning materials under the carpets and the back of the cab. Talk to a car stereo shop and see what kind of materials they use.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Easy to add sound deadening to the MDT, under the cab, inside on the floor and firewall, in the doors, in the roof and on the back are all easily done on most MDTs.

Seats are pretty much standard, depending on your truck you might need a bit different base if you don't have a flat floor in the seat area.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Bostrum makes shallow air ride seats for the fl50, 60, 70, 80, 106, 112 trucks. Or if you currently have air ride just replace the seat with a good flexsteel seating bolting to current air bases.

2001 ford f350, 2010 Jayco 351rlsa, 2002 Vw Beetle tdi toad, 2012 polaris rzr, 2004 yamaha zuma

2001 Freightliner c112 tandam axle, ism, 9sd manual, jackalope, mountain master air hitch, hayes 400b

No price tags is not uncommon at non-oem parts stores. The reason being the better the customer, the deeper the discounts, ie Freds Trucking buys 2 parts a week gets a 5% discount and the private diesel truck repair shop next door to Freds buys 50parts a day might get a 30% discount...so what price do you put on it...and someone like you and I get nothing because we aren't in there often enough to be noticed. Plus it costs wages for someone to price everything and truck part prices change daily.

• 4 weeks later...

The flooor in a MDT Freightliner is different than the bigger trucks and you need to get seats for a M2. When I built my truck I had the winter package put in it which is exttra insulation. My truck is warm or cold enough for us. Not sure if you can buy in a kit the exttra insulation but YES it does make a difference. Might look at horse trader for trucks and links to junk yards. try to find one that has been in a wreck and buy parts from it. Just have to sit down at the computer and search. The stuff is out there.

Beetlebob... I took measurements and there seems to be a lot of room in the cab ..I was assuming that any bostrom seat would fit..

Some of the doors are just metal. Not sure how I can take out the headliner. No truck salvage yards that I can fuind in this province so new it has to be....

I will be in a parts store today..and ask about the seats and I will go ahead on the floor insulation.

Thanks

Ian.

• 1 month later...

Eastwood products sells several types of sound dampening material. The Lizard skin product is a roll on option and Boom mat has a product with leather on one side.

There are options.

Troy & Erica Tikalsky

Belle Plaine, MN

1985 Wanderlodge PT40

2003 Excel RDO 38 5th Wheel (Sold)

1986 Newell 40' (Sold)

1983 Wanderlodge FC33 (Sold)

http://www.diyrvguy.com

When buying parts at OEM dealer (Volvo in my case) I always ask for a discount like a small shop gets. I usually get it. The higher the cost of the part the deeper the discount they offer. The dealer where I live see me now and again and he gives me same price as a local shop gets. When in the road I just tell them that and my local dealer gives me a discount, so they usually will do the same.

As mentioned, Traction supply is a great source in Canada. They also will discount for the owner op. Have to ask sometimes.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I have had terrible luck with Traction. According to their manager at out local store, they do not carry "CBs, air horns, not Bostrun (and national) seats". I see that they are a NAPA store which I have had wonderful luck with while doing a resto the last couple of years. . BTW, I have seen some of that stuff in their store. Freightliner has also given me the bums rush. The only thing I can think of..because I am paying with cash..is that I am a private owner of a legacy truck and companies on account are their bread and butter. Parts for Trucks employees seem completely indifferent ..and I have gone into multiple locations.

I can see this type ofattitude in a busting economy but it is "hard times in the Maritimes" with companies going under and high unemployment.

International Trucks has welcomed me with open arms,. Not only are they willing to sell me the products I want, they are also giving me a healthy discount. There is an ex Freightliner employee that works in parts there and wasn't surprised with my baffling experience.

We are having unusually high amounts of snow this year coupled with bitter cold...which is unusual...so I can only sit and look at the truck.

My DW doesn't want me to go to deep in our first year so I am doing my must haves first. I was told they did sound proofing where i was built so we shall see.

Opinions are good.

Thanks

Ian.

I installed a set of Recaro Trend seats in my 99 C7500 many years ago, and when i sold it i removed them and installed them in my M2-106 when i bought it in 08. I have the air ride platforms in the truck and had to make an adapter bracket for the seats. Well worth the work! I'm like u and most of us a very bad back. I fell 50 feet in 1977, ruptured l4-5 . compression fracture L1 last year. I made a 750 mile run yesterday with no back pain. If i did it in my wifes terrain it would be hard to stand up. Food for thought.

I like my "little" truck and my dual tandem 5th wheel.

Wayne

2009 Freightliner M2-106 Crewcab

8.3 Cummins 330/1000- Allison 3000RDS

2003 Newmar MountainAire 39 SDTS

Wlee,

How I lusted after a set of Recaros when I was young and couldn't afford...I am trying to get away from fabrication so I just bought a set of Nationals...hope they fit.

50 foot ? You are lucky to be alive ! My damage happened a bit less violently. I was hit by a pick up doing 45..I had my foot on the brake and just turned to grab my Beagle when he hit..no brakes. I had just taken a few years out of the rat race to be a stay at home dad so no settlement so to speak... spine damaged in 2 places (l4/l5 and C4-5-6 - I am not allowed to wear a helmet now) ..forced retirement and a little blue sign in the rear view..oddly enough, it is easier to get up in/out of the truck that it is my wife's car.

It is encouraging to hear about your run. I don't find any pick ups particularly comfortable and we have to haul butt for 2 days..and repeat trip 3 days later. What is worse, this is a guilt trip....

Cool option..duallies on your trailer. There is just so much we don't see up here in the boonies...

Are you full or long time ?

My wife has 3 more years before she is eligible for early retirement.(U.S.P.S.). I don't ever see us as full timers :-(. My retirement is a small apartment complex we built. The longest we've ever ben away from home is 4 weeks. the last 4 years, VERY little. I get homesick for my toys!

As far as the dual tandems the only company that I know of who used them was New Mar. A lot of people here talk them down, but the ones i've heard of who has them love them.

Hope you enjoy your FL as much as I have my M2.

Wayne

Wlee,

Almost the same boat....my wife wants to work another 2 years but she is re interviewing for her job this month....so maybe retiring early ???... according to the laws or rules of my province, I have to be home for 4 months...so I can keep my toys :) I suspect we will have our fill of traveling by then and be happy to come home..and maybe small trips around the Atlantic Provinces and Ontario. I have always worked for small companies so than RRSPs.., I don't have a pension.

As with the class 5s... I think they borrow the best from both the one ton and the class 8 (so they don't have the inherent problems) into a nice neat package....if you have to have more torque / HP, than get a m2-112....

If it is any indication, I cannot wipe the smile off my face when I drove it and I hate seeing myself come down the road so I am going to be pretty unique in the Maritimes...

Take care, Ian.

I bought my first MDT in 99. A GMC C7500 Crew cab 3126B cat, a GREAT motor in my opinion, (what thats worth) 7spd Spicer tranny with a dually bed.

Boy did i get looks! Pulled a 28' Bigfoot Trailer full of carpenter tools and a 4X4 tractor all around my area for work then pulled a 33.5 prowler 5th wheel behind the truck. That was a unusual site! Upgraded to a 40' mountain aire in 04 so the bed had to come off:-(.

Got tired of shifting so I bought the M2-106 in 08. The cab is BIG! 330 hp is enough. I can cruise at whatever I want, climb a 9% grade at 29 mph start from a dead stop on a 12% grade.

I know about the pension rough being self employed.

Good luck with the truck!

If your ever in Louisiana, look me up!

Wayne

Wlee,

Your wonderful state is on our list of "must see". I believe my first cousin just moved there....so who knows..

Just had a quote on painting my truck...thought the 'ole ticker was going to give out...I obviously career pathed it wrong... :)

Ian

5k ? Back in 99 I did all the slab work for a body shop,10000 sq ft building,and about 20000 sq ft parking. He paid in cash!!

Wayne

I wish...one guy said he would start a 7K and wouldn't now the final number before he finished and the second guy said 9 to 12K... I asked why with the first guy and he said paint has gone up... last summer I paid $200 plus a gallon (and 75 ish for the reducer) to paint our Duster...ok, so lets double that. ..there is no rust on the FL..so all you have to do is a sand and some taping,,,

I am going to go back to my usual paint guy (his shop is too small for the fl60) and see what we can do..

I think it is no wonder why paint shops are only doing government / insurance work ..most of our paint shops have dissapeared..

If someone in the business can't give a firm price, might want to stay away. i hope to rebuild my bed this sommer and i'm gona paint it. Worst case I get it sandblasted and take it to my friend bodyshop. He's the one who told me to give it a try.

Wayne

Archived