question about coyotes

Simplepleasures

We were actually there twice. Once last winter. Very little difference to our Wickenburg place, more cactus, less trees. Same sand. Run by high school kids and retired folks. All experts. Kind of self guided place. No real desire to kill an AZ 20 lb mangy coyote, but you never know.

Done with you bud. Take care 

2004 Volvo 780 singled long

Eclipse Attitude toyhauler

79 Shovelhead Electraglide

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't sound like we are talking about the same place.  The Sonoran Desert Museum in Tucson is world renowned and considered one of the top 10 museums in the US. The facility combines a zoo, botanical garden, art gallery, natural history museum, and aquarium. Additionally, the museum is combined with not only an art institute but a well-known conservation and research program.    The facility is 98 acres with 2 miles of walking trails. 

By contrast, the Desert Caballeros Western Museum in Wickenburg is a small art museum.

Respectfully, it seems like you are just saying stuff.

Dave and Lana Hasper

Yes I had heard about this Missouri story also. I don't know why the media pushes these stories and then downplay corrections.  It was a 104 lb canine---a wolf--a protected species. whoops.    I gotta say though in the pictures except for the size it sure looks more like a coyote. Look at the head. Anyway, a wolf.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/field-notes/2011/04/104-pound-missouri-coyote-determined-be-wolf

Dave and Lana Hasper

Reference the videos. 

The first video, taken at night on a game camera.  There is no way a healthy mature buck is going to lay down just because the animals are chomping on his hindquarters.  No indication of any type of lethal injuries to the neck to cause bleeding to weaken the buck.  The only thing I see is an already weak and probably exhausted collapses and dies.  The eventual end is quickened by the harassment of the animals. 

The second video.  Again if this killing of healthy deer on Antelope Island (just N of Salt Lake City) the island would be overrun by coyotes until they decimated the deer population and the coyotes dies off because of lack of food.  To me the logical explanation is a old buck or one which is sick and already weak. 

The third video.  Seems to be the most credible.  However I go back what I wrote above.  If it is so easy for two coyotes to take down an otherwise healthy deer, there wouldn't be many deer left but a huge population of coyotes. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

"Just don't bother me with documented FACTS, or published information from trained sources.  I know what I know, and no amount of FACTS will every change my mind."

Videos with no follow up information, "reports", eye witness reports, and the like are not documentation.  Just like the huge "coyote" in Missouri turned out to be a wolf. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Al F said:

Reference the videos. 

The first video, taken at night on a game camera.  There is no way a healthy mature buck is going to lay down just because the animals are chomping on his hindquarters.  No indication of any type of lethal injuries to the neck to cause bleeding to weaken the buck.  The only thing I see is an already weak and probably exhausted collapses and dies.  The eventual end is quickened by the harassment of the animals. 

The second video.  Again if this killing of healthy deer on Antelope Island (just N of Salt Lake City) the island would be overrun by coyotes until they decimated the deer population and the coyotes dies off because of lack of food.  To me the logical explanation is a old buck or one which is sick and already weak. 

The third video.  Seems to be the most credible.  However I go back what I wrote above.  If it is so easy for two coyotes to take down an otherwise healthy deer, there wouldn't be many deer left but a huge population of coyotes. 

Good observations Al.  Being isolated by the salt sea, antelope Island really does not have an apex predator which is why the deer population gets so large. If coyotes could effectively hunt and kill deer that would not be the case. As it relates to the horse discussion we need to remember that a full-grown mule deer can get about 3 and 1/2 feet tall and weigh between 100-300 pounds. The pictures evoke the scenes of a wolf pack taking down an elk but everything in the pictures is actually on a MUCH smaller scale.  A full grown horse is going to be up to 2,000lbs and of course much taller than a deer.     https://wildlife.utah.gov/wildlife-news/1587-deer-captured-on-antelope-island.html

Dave and Lana Hasper

Archived