floncto

Modified Steps?

My DW has a bad knee and has always found it hard to deal with the steps, in the entrance to our fifth wheel, but even more so getting into the bedroom. We are not fulltime and so we must load and unload whenever we travel. After unloading from a long Thanskgiving weekend trip, I also found myself very stiff. Has anyone modified the bedroom steps to make them shorter per step?

For sure don't want to mess with the tread width as you really need that to safely place your foot. So rebuilding the step tread rise will increase the run and it certainly wind up in the kitchen. On mine if I did it the bottom step would be in front of the doors so was not a consideration. Outside steps I had replaced when purchased the RV from 3 steps to 4 and it awesome for the wife but outside the run is not the problem but was a $'s decision. Although I have instances where the bottom step was flat on the ground. :)

I had two steep steps going up to the bedroom when I bought my RV. I modified them into three shorter steps by building a small Wooden removable box for a third/last step. I then added a 2x12 inch board on top of the second step. I held it in place with two L brackets and covered the 3rd step and 2x12 with carpet. I can remove the third "box" step so it doesn't interfere with the door to my water heater and so that my slide out doesn't hit it when I close it. I have done this in my last and current RV. I also added a wood grab rail by the steps?