rear kitchen in a 30' fifth wheel

defboater

I've asked about the pros and cons of a RK in a fifth wheel and decided against it due to bad reviews. We want a 30-32' fifth wheel, and are re-considering a RK as we now have a new to us Ford 350 truck and hope this will alleviate some bounce?

Would love to read about your RK experiences in a 32-30 ft or under fifth wheel, what do you have?

Our wish list is number one, no steps between bed and bathroom so no night falls. This has proven a tough find in New England.

Number 2 is an outside refrigerator to help with the monthly defrosting routine.

Number 3 is at least one night stand or space for glasses and book and far down is decent wardrobe space as we will be on our journey for at least a year.

Would you buy it again and what brand would you buy used?

Any suggestions, advice and comments appreciated and thank you for being there for us newbies! Especially us newbies that are from remote areas and have to rely on the internet for our learning curves!

2008 Carriage Cameo F31KS3

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

traveling with our pretty kitty

I've asked about the pros and cons of a RK in a fifth wheel and decided against it due to bad reviews. We want a 30-32' fifth wheel, and are re-considering a RK as we now have a new to us Ford 350 truck and hope this will alleviate some bounce?

Would love to read about your RK experiences in a 32-30 ft or under fifth wheel, what do you have?

Our wish list is number one, no steps between bed and bathroom so no night falls. This has proven a tough find in New England.

Number 2 is an outside refrigerator to help with the monthly defrosting routine.

Number 3 is at least one night stand or space for glasses and book and far down is decent wardrobe space as we will be on our journey for at least a year.

Would you buy it again and what brand would you buy used?

Any suggestions, advice and comments appreciated and thank you for being there for us newbies! Especially us newbies that are from remote areas and have to rely on the internet for our learning curves!

I guess I've not read the info about the negatives on rear kitchens. I admit I have not been looking for the info, but now you have me curious. What seems to be the most common complaint about it? I have a NuWa Hitch Hiker 2 with RK at 30'. I dont know how it tows yet, so I am going to follow your thread now with interest. I would think tank location would be more of a concern than appliance weight and food storage, but perhaps, as I too am a newbie, I am not seeing the bigger picture. Could it be the usual dinette slide out that usually is part of the RK that is a common issue?

I'm a work'n on it.

We've had two 32' fifth wheels, both with rear kitchens. We didn't have a problem with either one. I liked the rear kitchen because I could be cooking, out of the way of the main flow of traffic in the rest of the rig. And, we had more counter space than is usually found in side kitchens (for the same length fifth wheel).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We had a rear kitchen on our 33ft Holiday Rambler. That was the best lay out. In 7 years Nothing was ever broken. We particularly liked the fact that with the opposing slides in we could get to everything in the living area. The refer was in the drivers side slide. Only thing I could not open was the oven door, one cabinet door and the TV was blocked by the driver side slide. If we ever went back to a 5th wheel I would want the same floor plan.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

We had a RK in our 40' 1995 double slide Newmar Kountry Aire and never had a problem. We had so much storage space in the kitchen we took out a set of doors and had a DW installed. Lots of counter space. The dinning table was right across from the kitchen so the DW had even more counter space if she need it. Our 2004 39' triple slide Newmar Kountry Aire had the center kitchen with the island. I always liked the RK better.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

We had rear kitchens on two of our fivers and had no issues with them, the main thing you need is a decent suspension and possibly an air hitch if that isn't enough to keep the bouncing under control with your truck. A spring suspension that isn't overloaded with good shocks should be good enough, a Mor-Ryde would be even better but not essential. An air hitch will reduce the bouncing caused by the truck pounding on the hitch pin with none of the potential issues with an air-ride pinbox.

You can do the defrosting fast and easy, only a few minutes so a second fridge isn't needed, the safest way is to use a spray bottle of hot tap water, no chance of a problem with that or a hair dryer but you need to be careful not to overheat anything. I do recall seeing some past posts on outside or basement fridges, search using the forum or with Google using the site option (site:www.rvnetwork.com) and you might turn something up.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Just a couple of comments... we had a 40' HH Chapagne with RK. Gobs of counter space, with proper storage, no items coming out or broken. We did have Mor/ryde IS suspension which helped a great deal. Why in the world would you want an outside fridge? First, you would only get a apt size, and second, it will get old fast going outside to retrieve something from the fridge.

Jim

I guess I've not read the info about the negatives on rear kitchens. I admit I have not been looking for the info, but now you have me curious. What seems to be the most common complaint about it? I have a NuWa Hitch Hiker 2 with RK at 30'. I dont know how it tows yet, so I am going to follow your thread now with interest. I would think tank location would be more of a concern than appliance weight and food storage, but perhaps, as I too am a newbie, I am not seeing the bigger picture. Could it be the usual dinette slide out that usually is part of the RK that is a common issue?

I'm just guessing here but maybe one of the "knocks" that folks have on the RK is the same one that folks express about our FL. Many people prefer to have scenic views available to them with the living space in the rear.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Just a couple of comments... we had a 40' HH Chapagne with RK. Gobs of counter space, with proper storage, no items coming out or broken. We did have Mor/ryde IS suspension which helped a great deal. Why in the world would you want an outside fridge? First, you would only get a apt size, and second, it will get old fast going outside to retrieve something from the fridge.

Jim

Thanks for all this - wonderful advice. What I meant about the outside fridge is some models have an outside kitchen with an apartment size fridge. To me, this would be extremely helpful with defrosting the inside fridge, but another member commented that one can accomplish defrosting with a hair dryer quickly. As I said, wonderful succinct advice here, and I thank you all!

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

What I meant about the outside fridge is some models have an outside kitchen with an apartment size fridge. To me, this would be extremely helpful with defrosting the inside fridge, but another member commented that one can accomplish defrosting with a hair dryer quickly.

I agree that an outside fridge isn't necessary for defrosting the inside fridge.

While I've never used a hair dryer for defrosting (I don't even own a hairdryer!), I've accomplished defrosting in 15-20 minutes by filling a dish pan with hot water and setting it inside the freezer. After that time, the ice on the inside is soft enough that any remaining ice is easily scraped off using a PLASTIC spatula. Then all it takes is a towel to dry the inside off.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

With a Ford F350 to tow with, why limit yourself on length. We have a 38' Montana and love it for all the reasons mentioned above. As a retired trucker I can tell you that a longer trailer tows/backs better than a short one. When I was still working I would ALWAYS pick a 53' over a 48" when given an option.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

With a Ford F350 to tow with, why limit yourself on length. We have a 38' Montana and love it for all the reasons mentioned above. As a retired trucker I can tell you that a longer trailer tows/backs better than a short one. When I was still working I would ALWAYS pick a 53' over a 48" when given an option.

thank you for this advice. We are trying to start small with less than 32' as we are total newbies at this!

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

• 1 month later...

I'm just guessing here but maybe one of the "knocks" that folks have on the RK is the same one that folks express about our FL. Many people prefer to have scenic views available to them with the living space in the rear.

We have a rear kitchen and we love it! Its our 3rd fiver, and we consider it the best floor plan we have ever had. And its the best of both worlds, as we have large rear windows across the entire back of the rig, above the sink and counter tops.

2014 F350 Dually Lariat 4x4
2013 Excel LTD 36RKM
Sir Reginald the cat who lets Big Mike and Jean travel with him

We have a rear kitchen and we love it! Its our 3rd fiver, and we consider it the best floor plan we have ever had. And its the best of both worlds, as we have large rear windows across the entire back of the rig, above the sink and counter tops.

I looked at a YouTube vid of your rig. Very Nice!

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

• 4 years later...

Just bought a 2016 F250 reg. bed with 6.7 power stroke. Have a bumper pull (27 foot/Cougar 22RBS) BUT the key is a king size bed. What would be your thoughts on a fifth wheel that is 35 ft or shorter with a King bed with outdoor kitchen/tv is a must (don't have to have the outdoor kitchen but TV is a must now!

Welcome to the forum!  You can start your own thread with your questions, this thread is many years old and probably won't get much attention.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.