Alabama State Parks

dorrph

After studying, planning, working and selling, we leave for our full time life style on February 1. We are sticking with what we have for the time being (17ft Fiberglass EGG camper). The idea of seeing this great country is our goal as opposed to sticking to one campground for the winter.

We are in excellent health and love running and biking.

The idea of starting in Alabama has much appeal and we do have reservations in Florida for mid March.

We love state parks and are looking for peoples' favorite parks in Alabama.

Do I have to say the idea of "leaving solid ground and stepping into the water" is daunting.

Thanks

It's not a state park but you are on the Escapee's forum so, of course, we are going to say Rainbow Plantation in Summerdale, AL. Grassy sites between the trees with enough space between you and your neighbor to not feel crowded. And friendly people who will help you with whatever challenges you as you dive into the deep end of this new lifestyle.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Cheha State Park is our favorite. We have not been to the lower campground, but the upper was a great facility easily accommodating our 40' dp when we were last there a few years ago. The peak there is the highest spot in Alabama, and from the campground there is a short walk to an overlook with an incredible view out over Taledaga far, far below. There are two rv campgrounds there plus rental cabins and a store.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Hope you have reservations George Fin, this place is packed right now. Last I heard which was yesterday 70 people on waiting list to get in. There may be some short term lots available that I do not know about. If no reservation at least call first.

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

Gulf Shores is really nice, especially now when it is not so crowded with tourists, (though there are lots of snowbirds there) as it is off season. It's a very nice area I frequent often on business. There are some great seafood restaurants there too, like the Acme that has great oysters fixed any way you like em. If you want groceries, Rouses is the best and it's not far away from the CG on Hwy 59 - fantastic seafood, meat and Cajun specialties at reasonable prices for top quality stuff (dry aged prime steaks, fresh whole fish cut to order, etc). I think I'm making myself hungry. Enjoy!

Chip

Hope you have reservations George Fin, this place is packed right now. Last I heard which was yesterday 70 people on waiting list to get in. There may be some short term lots available that I do not know about. If no reservation at least call first.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I called a few days ago and was able to get a 7 day reservation starting on Monday. I guess I was lucky.

George

Great on the reservation. because it's a short reservation it appears they have some set aside for that. Glad you got your spot. It's a great park and be careful. I stopped here for a few days once and stayed the rest of the season and we are now on year 5 here.......it's contagious lol

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

• 1 month later...

We did not have much time, but what we saw of southern Alabama we loved. It is on our bucket for a longer return visit. It may become our new winter home. In the winter stay in Lower-Alabama. Don't forget about northern Alabama and Georgia border especially when the weather warms. Add Huntsville Rocket and Space Center to your list outside of State Parks. Huntsville has plenty of things visits; plus modern shopping conveniences. Alabama has been a very pleasant surprise for us, we learn more about the state on every trip.

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

Archived