tiny home rv

ganto

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mini-split is what I'd use. Or at least would be my first choice. There are a couple of issues. Typically these homes use almost every inch of space - much like an RV. So finding the wall space to properly position the indoor unit would have to be accounted for in the design. Not a big deal but something to be aware of. The second issue is the outdoor unit. You have to find a place for that. And it may not be as simple as you would think. I would not want it on the tongue....that would be for storage, and/or for batteries. Depending on design. Hung off the back someplace might work, especially if it shared the back with a porch. But again, you have to design for it.

I like a small pellet stove. That would work very well. The problem is they are going to tend to overheat the space. Finding a really small one might be an issue. Take a look at the Gnome. If that was too much trouble I'd use a Dickinson Marine propane heater. The smallest one would work, and it pretty much sips propane. Relative to an RV furnace. Also, HERE is a very small wood stove that would fit well in a tiny home.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

grant, on 19 Dec 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

I am now 150% DEBT free unlike some people that are 100k in CC DEBT with intrest pouring out there ears wondering why they have no time for vacations or no life because there to busy slaving away to pay there bills

Cool. Does 150% debt free mean that you loan out (invest) 50% of your money and other folk pay you interest? I like that Idea. :)

Many people think they are debt free, but they really are not. Even someone who owns their house outright still has a property tax debt - in most cases many thousands a year. Those not living off the grid also have recurring utility bills which can be considered a debt if they are unavoidable. If living in a conventional S&B, are you really going to go without electric, gas, water, sewer, garbage pick-up and homeowner's insurance? In many places it is not even legal to disconnect from city water and sewer. So couldn't it be said that these unavoidable, recurring monthly expenses are a form of debt that those living a minimalist, off-grid lifestyle can avoid or at least minimize if they choose?

I'm planning on a full-time mobile lifestyle in a boondocking friendly rig, living close with nature in our beautiful, spacious land. This means having good insulation and lots of solar and battery power (about 2,000 watts solar and 8 or 10 GC-2 batteries to start - upgrading the battery bank a few years later when these cheapies wear out), a high-efficiency DC powered heat pump, large holding tanks, a fuel efficient TV and a couple high MPG motorbikes to explore the area, run errands on, go fishing with (to stretch my food budget), etc.. I plan on using RV park/CG hookups perhaps 1/2 of the time, budget permitting, but want to have the option of living completely off-grid for extended periods when desired (or if needed) - sort of a practical, survivalist mentality without the bat shirt crazy, Chicken Little "the sky is falling" part. Of course in the unlikely event the sky does fall, I'll be better off than most... B)

Chip

The mini-split is what I'd use. Or at least would be my first choice. There are a couple of issues. Typically these homes use almost every inch of space - much like an RV. So finding the wall space to properly position the indoor unit would have to be accounted for in the design. Not a big deal but something to be aware of. The second issue is the outdoor unit. You have to find a place for that. And it may not be as simple as you would think. I would not want it on the tongue....that would be for storage, and/or for batteries. Depending on design. Hung off the back someplace might work, especially if it shared the back with a porch. But again, you have to design for it.

I'm thinking of either mounting a mini-split on the tongue of a TT, but if someone needed that space for propane tanks and batteries, one could make a shelf to mount it above these items. I saw a similar set-up where a camper had his EU3000 generator permanently mounted on a angle iron constructed shelf, above his propane tanks. This is what have me the idea. Additionally, a mini-house has the advantage of having structurally strong walls, allowing a bracket to hold this unit to be mounted directly on a wall - either front or rear, (depending on the placement of the inside air handler) at any height desired.

Chip

Chip, you have an interesting view of "debt". Under your scenario, taken a little farther, any required spending at all would be considered "debt". Like for food or fuel. I'm not opposed to that view....but most would not subscribe to it :)

I view things more like "discretionary" vs "non-discretionary" spending. Food is non-discretionary. I have to eat. I suppose I could hunt and live a subsistence life....but I'm not going to. Fuel is discretionary, I can choose to stay put. "Traditional" debt is clearly discretionary at some point.

I try to minimize my non-discretionary spending so as to have "choices". On my discretionary spending I always have the choice....

Just my perspective....neither right nor wrong.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

grant, on 19 Dec 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:grant, on 19 Dec 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:grant, on 19 Dec 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

ganto go for it. been thinking along the same lines myself. I'm retired and need a project this sounds like a good one. I'll say it again GO FOR IT.

grant

the one thing that boggles my mind with the tiny homes is boon docking and you sure can't stealth camp with em :D. i'll probily wind up in a class B no bigger than 21 feet so I can fit into parking spots :ph34r: and blend in with the community :lol:

sushidog, on 21 Dec 2014 - 06:19 AM, said:

Cool. Does 150% debt free mean that you loan out (invest) 50% of your money and other folk pay you interest? I like that Idea. :)

Many people think they are debt free, but they really are not. Even someone who owns their house outright still has a property tax debt - in most cases many thousands a year. Those not living off the grid also have recurring utility bills which can be considered a debt if they are unavoidable. If living in a conventional S&B, are you really going to go without electric, gas, water, sewer, garbage pick-up and homeowner's insurance? In many places it is not even legal to disconnect from city water and sewer. So couldn't it be said that these unavoidable, recurring monthly expenses are a form of debt that those living a minimalist, off-grid lifestyle can avoid or at least minimize if they choose?

I'm planning on a full-time mobile lifestyle in a boondocking friendly rig, living close with nature in our beautiful, spacious land. This means having good insulation and lots of solar and battery power (about 2,000 watts solar and 8 or 10 GC-2 batteries to start - upgrading the battery bank a few years later when these cheapies wear out), a high-efficiency DC powered heat pump, large holding tanks, a fuel efficient TV and a couple high MPG motorbikes to explore the area, run errands on, go fishing with (to stretch my food budget), etc.. I plan on using RV park/CG hookups perhaps 1/2 of the time, budget permitting, but want to have the option of living completely off-grid for extended periods when desired (or if needed) - sort of a practical, survivalist mentality without the bat shirt crazy, Chicken Little "the sky is falling" part. Of course in the unlikely event the sky does fall, I'll be better off than most... B)

Chip

LOL noo I don't loan out my money and charge out 50% intrest rates though I like the idea though :D . I will put it this way. I am not in any credit card debt no bank loans no car payments I am not a slave to the banking system!! sure I have property taxes and utilites!! but that's nothing like some people that are 100K in CC debt with intrest coming out of there ears that can't afford to take a vacation or even have a life why because there to busy slavin away to pay there bills!! I have solar panels on my roof so that cuts down my electric bill a lot. I would opt for the battery bank and trick the light co into thinking that I am still producing electricity but the cost just isn't worth it especially when I want to sell!! and as far as monthly expenses you still have em in an motor home food propane insurance maintance health ins but it seems cheaper than a S&B house providing that your not a spend thrifty :lol: . I am planning on doing a lot of boon docking as I don't see the use of paying for something that I don't need aka an RV park sorry I don't want to be soo close to my neighbors that our awnings touch :P:D I would rather be out in nature enjoying the wildlife and the peace and quiet of the everyday hussel and bussel!! I am planning on doing what your doing boon docking for long periods of time. who makes a dc powered heat pump? I might even get to the point where Id'e install a rain water collection system as well :D . I do like the road trek Etrek since it has the solar panels I don't know ho many watts they are though and this is the first version to so I am thinking that they will offer a higher output solar panel in the near future as well I think it has 6 batteries but I am not sure though. I know it has a wabasco diesel fired heater in it. and for my toad id'e just tug around my 05 vw golf wich runs off of veggie :P I will probily wind up selling my Mercedes since it's not fun to drive and that runs off of veggie to :D.

I saw about five Tiny House shows on TV last night, one after the other and I was unaware of the show. I found then enjoyable with most of the people

having them built to save money. One of the shows had a builder who only builds the Tiny Houses and he had about 8 going at one time.

I would think that they would be very heavy because of the heavy frames and so much wood. It appeared that they were not really build to be moved?

It looked that it would be lots of trouble and effort to move then a lot? Although one of the couples where planning to move it around for the mans employment

as a Special Education Teacher in different school districts.

• 1 month later...

I don't think I would go for a tiny house after doing some research let alone the pitifull MPG'S. after talking with people that owned em they also said that they had nails falling out of em :blink: along with leaks :ph34r: . and after dealing with tumbleweed tiny homes and my experience with them I don't think that I would do it again for my configuration one says one thing one says another or one says they can't do it while the other says that they can do it!! so I settled on a road trek e trek this thing is amazing I can boondock all weekend long without having to plug in!! as well as it's an all diesel setup there's no propane a major plus in my book for tunnels. it's got a 12 volt fridge all LED lighting and 240 watt solar panels and like 8 batteries and a 4000 generator in the engine

Most of the Tiny Homes look cute, but downright unsafe. All wood construction and only one exit door? No emergency exit windows to provide a second egress if the door is blocked? Sleeping lofts (hot, poisonous gasses rise) but only a tiny window in the sleeping area or none at all, meaning you have to wake up and recover enough coordination to climb down a ladder to escape a fire? Wood stoves in a small, enclosed space? No, thanks.

• 3 months later...

Most of the Tiny Homes look cute, but downright unsafe. All wood construction and only one exit door? No emergency exit windows to provide a second egress if the door is blocked? Sleeping lofts (hot, poisonous gasses rise) but only a tiny window in the sleeping area or none at all, meaning you have to wake up and recover enough coordination to climb down a ladder to escape a fire? Wood stoves in a small, enclosed space? No, thanks.

I tend to agree with what you said!!

You might do a google search on these!... As many of em that's out there!.... Even watched a couple Discovery channel specials on them!

2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40' DP

2015 DRV 38RSSA 5th wheel

2004 M2 106 MDT

It's What You Learn, After You Know It All!... That Counts!!

Would love to see how they stand up to towing at 50 mph in rainstorm. Sealing lap siding would be challenge as well as window ACs. Then there is the roof shingle problem - 50 mph wind & rain will pick at every corner.

Short move Park Models are challenging enough. You can wait for good weather when you are only traveling couple hundred miles (And for most once in their lifetime)

No Thanks, I'll stick with professionally designed & built RVs.

You might do a google search on these!... As many of em that's out there!.... Even watched a couple Discovery channel specials on themi have

I heard horror stories from people that own them and they say they have problems with nails coming out of em. I can't picture pulling one down the road @ 50 MPH :blink: . as I made my own custom design and I was gonna have tumbleweed build it for me. but by the time I spoke with em on the phone and told them what I wanted one told me they would set it up that way and another told me they could not set it up to my specs!! I found them to be very hard to work with and I would NOT recommend them to anyone. and my configuration before all of my mods was over a 100 k :o !! I can think of better things to spend a 100k on :lol:. I have to agree with DUFFMAN on this one I'll stick with an rv that's designed to travel in 50 MPH rain storms

Would love to see how they stand up to towing at 50 mph in rainstorm. Sealing lap siding would be challenge as well as window ACs. Then there is the roof shingle problem - 50 mph wind & rain will pick at every corner.

Short move Park Models are challenging enough. You can wait for good weather when you are only traveling couple hundred miles (And for most once in their lifetime)

No Thanks, I'll stick with professionally designed & built RVs.

id'e be curious about how they seal up the flooring on the trailer for the RV models I can see serious water damage starting there to!!

I like the idea of a tiny house. But I don't think we're there yet in this culture. Even the "tiny house friendly" areas really are not. Portland, OR is featured on lots of the web sites and in the tv productions but you can only put a tiny house on a lot that already has a house. You can't just park it on your city lot without facing a whole lot of opposition by neighbors and city planners.

Whidbey Island, north of Seattle, is downright unfriendly to anything that doesn't resemble a regular house. They even have a law against camping in a motor home in anything other than an approved RV park! Yurts are unwelcome too unless you put it up next to your house as an office or something. But don't let them catch you sleeping in one.

Our culture has well defined ideas about where you must live; and how you must live. We would apparently prefer to see people living in cardboard boxes under freeway bridges than change those ideas.

An RV is barely tolerated and then only in well defined places. On the freeway going away at 60mph is high on their tolerance list. In an RV park on the other side of town is ok but an RV park in *my* neighborhood is not; who wants "trailer trash"?

Do you have a house on 40-acres? Would you like to split 5 acres off for your son and his wife and family? Not if your county planners have passed ordinances saying that nothing smaller than 50 acres can be platted.

Then there is the waste and water issue. Want to scavenge water from your rooftop? Check your local ordinances because that may be illegal. Health issues, you know. That rooftop could be dirty. And even though there are alternatives to septic systems (which can be a major issue around lakes and rivers) anything else is viewed with suspicion.

And no one but hippies would live in one of those tiny houses anyway. :P

Everyone else's land values are more highly valued than your desires to use your property as you prefer.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the RVIA certification. I've seen a couple of parks that has that certification as a requirement to enter the park.

Paint your wagon and come along

98 Volvo, VNL 610

01 Alfa Ideal, 38'6"

South Dakota plates

SKP # 68396

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the RVIA certification. I've seen a couple of parks that has that certification as a requirement to enter the park.

I just stick to SKP parks, Natl. Park, NFS, BuRec, BLM and boondocking. All the fancy-pants RV parks with someone ten feet from me (with a barking dog) and their rules about who can enter and who can't (meanwhile having 1/3 of the park full of semi-permanent residents) can go suck it.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

• 2 weeks later...

I just stick to SKP parks, Natl. Park, NFS, BuRec, BLM and boondocking. All the fancy-pants RV parks with someone ten feet from me (with a barking dog) and their rules about who can enter and who can't (meanwhile having 1/3 of the park full of semi-permanent residents) can go suck it.

WDR

that's the way I feel also!! I like peace and quiet no barking dogs no screaming kids no one telling me that I can't enter cause they don't like me or or my motor home. I don't like being so close to my neighbors that our awnings touch :wacko::blink::D . i'm not gonna pay for something that I can get for free B)

• 5 weeks later...

Archived