TX Drivers License and Registration

Twotoes

I have been told many different facts about getting a drivers license and registration for my truck and fifth wheel in TX. If I use Escapees mail forwarding service as my TX address can I do everything by mail? I have been told that I must physically be in TX to get the drivers license and also that my vehicles need to be physically in TX to be inspected. Also, how long is the drivers license valid (4 years, 5 years?) and can I renew by mail, and can I renew the registrations by mail or do I need to have them inspected each year?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I have been told many different facts about getting a drivers license and registration for my truck and fifth wheel in TX. If I use Escapees mail forwarding service as my TX address can I do everything by mail? I have been told that I must physically be in TX to get the drivers license and also that my vehicles need to be physically in TX to be inspected. Also, how long is the drivers license valid (4 years, 5 years?) and can I renew by mail, and can I renew the registrations by mail or do I need to have them inspected each year?

Yes, you have to go to Texas to get your driver's license, and if you take your rig you will need to get it inspected. To determine what type of DL you need follow this:

Is the Vehicle a Motorhome or Truck?

Motorhome

…… Is the GVWR > 26,000#?

………….Yes, do you pull a car/trailer >10,000#?

……………...Yes , Class A

………………No , Class B

………….No, do you pull a car/trailer >10,000#?

………………Yes, Class A

………………No, Class C

Truck/Trailer Combo

…..Is the GCWR > 26,000#

…………Yes, Is the trailer > 10,000#?

………………Yes, Class A

………………No, Class C

All DLs are good for 6 years and the Class C can be renewed online once. So every 12 years you have to go back to get a new picture taken, etc. Class A and B can be renewed by mail, there is a special form you have to fill out for that, have it notarized, and then mail in.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Since the changes made as a result of 9/11, all states are adhering to pretty much the same requirements for getting a driver's license. It is also pretty standard that you can renew by mail or internet every other time, with a new photo and eye exam on the alternate renewal. In TX the license is good for 6 years so you need to go there every 12 years.

Vehicle inspections are needed when you first register and each year after that if you are in TX and within 3 days of your return to TX if you are out of state when renewal is due.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Since the changes made as a result of 9/11, all states are adhering to pretty much the same requirements for getting a driver's license. It is also pretty standard that you can renew by mail or internet every other time, with a new photo and eye exam on the alternate renewal. In TX the license is good for 6 years so you need to go there every 12 years.

Vehicle inspections are needed when you first register and each year after that if you are in TX and within 3 days of your return to TX if you are out of state when renewal is due.

The vehicle inspection requirement must be a change. I have a truck registered in TX that has never been in the state - but it was registered quite a long time ago (2006 or so)

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

The vehicle inspection requirement must be a change. I have a truck registered in TX that has never been in the state - but it was registered quite a long time ago (2006 or so)

The key is "IF you are in the state" you need to get a vehicle inspection. That is true when you initially register the vehicle in TX as well. If the vehicle is not in the state you are not required to bring it there to get it inspected. IF and when you DO bring it to the state, you will need to get the vehicle inspection done.

Sue

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

The key is "IF you are in the state" you need to get a vehicle inspection. That is true when you initially register the vehicle in TX as well. If the vehicle is not in the state you are not required to bring it there to get it inspected. IF and when you DO bring it to the state, you will need to get the vehicle inspection done.

Sue

Ah gotcha, thanks!

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

• 6 months later...

We are considering switching our residency to TX...I know of several people who had to take their rig to the DMV when registering...is this just for inspection or was their a driving test involved?

38FT Heartland Bighorn 3600RL

SKP#88550

05' Kodiak 4500 w/air ride

Full Time Graduation Rally - Quartsite Jan. '06

We are considering switching our residency to TX...I know of several people who had to take their rig to the DMV when registering...is this just for inspection or was their a driving test involved?

Where specifically did they have to take their vehicle, to the DPS office, the county tax assessor collector, a private inspection station?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Not sure...just got some clarification from Jack Mayer. Any truck and trailer that has a combined GVWR of more than 26k, the driver is legally supposed to have a class A license which requires a driving test with the rig. Ours is 29,250 (truck 13k and trailer 16,250) so to stay legal we need the class A license...now just need to find out what the test involves and where??

Anyone have the answers??

38FT Heartland Bighorn 3600RL

SKP#88550

05' Kodiak 4500 w/air ride

Full Time Graduation Rally - Quartsite Jan. '06

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

When we registered ours we were asked for a picture, We were lucky because when we bought it the dealer took our picture in front of the motorhome and dh had it in his wallet. Just take a picture and bring it with you. Not sure why they do it.

Linda and Ed Lavin
lavinmh@yahoo.com

Archived