Millenicom/Verizon data accounting problems

Biocruiser

As I posted earlier, I have the same problem.

But, I have figured out how to get my true data usage without waiting on hold. I call #data from my Verizon cell phone, after the robot makes me listen to all of the info about my cell phone, it gives me the opportunity to ask for info about a different number. I put in my jetpack phone number, and it gives me what sounds like a true usage amount.

Today it told me I am at 16 gigs out the 20 gigs in my plan, which sounds about right. But I am still getting text alerts telling me that I have used up my plan plus all of my overage allowance, whatever that is.

I have a guy in tech support who claims he is working on this for me. He even gave me an email address. I haven't heard anything in a week, so I emailed him today for status. (The first time he gave me the email address, there was an error in it.)

John Parker

John & Connie Parker
2001 Ford Bounder 33' Motorhome
2016 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 towed
Lifetime Members SKP #96350

I don't have a Verizon phone so I can't use #data. However, I did call Verizon customer service (800) 922-0204 and then entered the phone number for my Pantech USB290 modem. After following the prompts it told me that I had used 11.3 gB since Nov 3. This is almost identical to the 11.4 gB reported by my Pepwave SOHO router.

So as John pointed out, people who have the "0 of 0 gB data" problem online can find out their real data use by phone. Some of these users (like me) have no other Verizon accounts, while others (like John P) have a Verizon phone.

I'll report what happens when my bill shows up in Verizon account on Dec 3 or 4.

Bob and Denise

2011 Tiffin Phaeton 42QBH

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Verizon's accounting is screwy!!

Between late June and mid-October this year, I must have made 20 calls to Verizon over data usage, some of the calls an hour long. I had bought a new iPhone 5 to replace my iPhone 4 and a new jetpack in June. Without changing my browsing or talking habits, my usage increased incredibly--more than tripled. I discovered the problem was most likely with my new jetpack, because I used only about a third the data when I tethered my cell phone for internet. They replaced it once, with no solution. Got really tired of them suggesting I stop watching TV online or streaming video--NEITHER of which I had ever done. Or maybe I should shut my devices off when I was not using them--DUH. Like I am that dumb???

The problem was partly solved in October when they doubled everyone's data allowances for the same price. I also dug out my old jetpack and put a new SIM card in it. Since then, I have been using either my tethered cell phone or my old jetpack and find I am using MUCH less data, even while surfing a lot more. (Someone on a previous message here, said that data was data no matter the device, but that was NOT my experience. Even tech support finally admitted newer devices especially ones using 4 LTE service gobbled data.)

Also, I discovered (I'd relate their explanation, but it was screwy and I still do not understand it) that when I got the doubled data and put the old jetpack on my plan, that I kept getting the messages that I had either used all my data or I had used almost no data. They said to "trust" them, and that I would not be charged for overages that month, and I wasn't.

Here is what drives me nuts: They will charge you overage fees even if you are a teeny, tiny bit over your limit for a month, BUT WHEN YOU GO ONLINE TO FIND OUT HOW MUCH DATA YOU HAVE USED OR HAVE LEFT, YOU GET AN ESTIMATE!!!

I argued with tech support about this, but they sort of shrugged their virtual shoulders and said that was done to protect themselves. So where does it leave the customer??

I do not know why you are getting 0 and then being told you have used all your data, but for the last week of my last billing period, I had exactly the same experience. I think the truth is that their systems cannot handle some changes.

I would be happy to change to another service if I could get equal coverage, but at least for now, I can't, so I am learning to live with their insanity. Sad.

I don't have a Verizon phone so I can't use #data. However, I did call Verizon customer service (800) 922-0204 and then entered the phone number for my Pantech USB290 modem. After following the prompts it told me that I had used 11.3 gB since Nov 3. This is almost identical to the 11.4 gB reported by my Pepwave SOHO router.

So as John pointed out, people who have the "0 of 0 gB data" problem online can find out their real data use by phone. Some of these users (like me) have no other Verizon accounts, while others (like John P) have a Verizon phone.

Thanks, Bob and Denise. That worked for us.

There's more to see than can ever be seen

More to do than can ever be done

Just called Verizon to check my data usage for the first 4 days of the billing period. It was reported as 1.3 GB, which is consistent with usage in the past. Being retired the company I worked for has a discount plan for Verizon. It amounts to 20% discount on equipment and usage time/data. This discount dropped my bill to $80.07 for the month. So if you work or worked for a company that offered a discount it might be worth looking into.

OP here. I just got my bill (online) for the Nov 3 to Dec 2 period. $106.07 with no overage charges. They said I used 14.000 gB (odd that it's such a round number).

So even though I kept getting data overage warnings by email (8 in total) the bill was correct.

Incidentally, the total tax/surcharge was $6.08 including $6 for sales tax (not sure which state - PA or SD) and 0.08 for Verizon wireless surcharge.

Bob and Denise

2011 Tiffin Phaeton 42QBH

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

I believe Verizon rounds off to the 1GB block level. My last bill showed 17GB, but totaling the daily usage details came to 16.08GB. If I had been over 20GB, that .08GB would have been charged as an extra 1GB.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Online, my detailed bill shows GB, MB and KB for each device on the More Everything Plan. I would be surprised if they did not do that for other plans.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I log onto My Verizon and I see my data usage in Gigs to 3 decimal places. Seems quite accurate to me.

Plus you can sign up for e-mail/text notices when you get to 50, 75 and 95% of your plan total and the number of days into your billing cycle you are.

Don't know how much more notice VZ could give me. If I run over, it's my fault, not theirs.

Right now I've used 23.722 GB out of a 30 GB plan with one more day remaining in this billing cycle. Enough data left to stream an HD movie or two.

Life is good.

That's what I was referring to in saying "daily usage details", Bill. Apparently, going over by even one KB will trigger a charge for the next full GB either against your monthly total or as an overage charge.

Online, my detailed bill shows GB, MB and KB for each device on the More Everything Plan. I would be surprised if they did not do that for other plans.

That's what I was referring to in saying "daily usage details", Bill. Apparently, going over by as little as one KB will trigger a charge for the next full GB either against your monthly total or as an overage charge.

Dutch

That's what I was referring to in saying "daily usage details", Bill. Apparently, going over by even one KB will trigger a charge for the next full GB either against your monthly total or as an overage charge.

That's what I was referring to in saying "daily usage details", Bill. Apparently, going over by as little as one KB will trigger a charge for the next full GB either against your monthly total or as an overage charge.

Yes, that is true. I thought we were talking about a reported usage of 14.000 GB and wondering if it only displays in full GB. Someone on a moved Millenicom plan would have 20 GB to work with, so 14 has no overage.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Yes, that is true. I thought we were talking about a reported usage of 14.000 GB and wondering if it only displays in full GB. Someone on a moved Millenicom plan would have 20 GB to work with, so 14 has no overage.

Right, there's no overage at that 14GB point im that case. It appears that Verizon is rounding up to the next whole GB for displaying the plan usage instead of displaying the actual usage that the daily details show.

Dutch

• 1 month later...

I have a guy in tech support who claims he is working on this for me. He even gave me an email address. I haven't heard anything in a week, so I emailed him today for status. (The first time he gave me the email address, there was an error in it.)

John Parker

VERIZON HAS ABANDONED US ON THIS ISSUE.

The guy in tech support had been calling me every week or so to update me on getting this fixed. About two weeks ago he called and told me that he gave up, and the department that is supposed to fix it will NOT fix the problem. He was very frustrated with them. He tried to get supervisors to push them, but it didn't work.

The explanation was a little vague, but apparently the accounts they set up for those who transferred over form Millenicom were set up as "business accounts," but our access is set up only through "personal accounts." So, the total data will not show up on the website or jetpack. Doesn't make any sense, but that was the reason for the problem.

He says since I can call in for the data, they told him they don't need to fix it. Also, I can just ignore the alerts telling me that I am over 20 gigs. If I want the data to work, then I can switch to a more expensive plan not linked to the Millenicom transfer.

I recall someone telling us that this would be a "seamless transfer."

John Parker

John & Connie Parker

I called and was told that they were working on it. It does seem that I've quit getting two messages every day saying that I've used 90% of my data or all of it. Still I can't find out how much I've used without going on line and downloading all the detail into a spread sheet and then suming it up.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

An easier way to get your data usage is to call the main Verizon phone number, *611 or 800-922-0204. It will ask if you are calling about the number you are calling from. Say no, and enter the phone number of your Jetpack or whatever you are using for internet. Then the menus will offer you data usage. The amount of data usage this gives you is correct.

I haven't gotten a data alert for a while now either.

John Parker

John & Connie Parker

Thanks for mentioning that, John. If anyone is calling from a Tracfone branded Verizon serviced phone, *611 will not work since it goes to a Tracfone CSR. The 800 number does work of course.

Dutch

I am having the opposite problem. My account showed I used 5GB over a period of 4 hours. I have a 5GB plan. When I called in they said it was my sim card. They sent me a new sim card, bumped me up to 10GB for the month. At the end of the month I was supposed to get a refund for the difference between the 5&10 GB plans.

Later in the month, with the new sim card, it went nuts again.......another 5GB in a few hours. I ended up with a bill of $140 for 16GB used with 10 of it a screw up. I was on the phone for over 4 hours. They are going to make me pay for the second 5 GB mistake. I told them I don't trust them any more, as this may happen again in the future and I will have to eat it again. I told them to drop my service. Now they are saying I have to pay the full amount and I won't get the promised refund for the first 5 GB if I am going to drop my service.

My computer shows I used just under 12 GB with Verizon in the last 60 days. If you google the over data problem you will find it is pretty common.......lots of people complaining. Verizon has a serious problem.......keep a close eye on your account!!!!

Update: Just got my money back today for the extra 10GB they said I used. I sent complaints to FCC and FTC. Not much happened. Sent a complaint to BBB and got my money back in less than a week.

Archived