Millenicom/Verizon data accounting problems

Biocruiser

I switched from Millenicom to Verizon using the $99 per month 20 gigabyte change-over deal. My data started counting on Nov 3. Today I received an email from Verizon saying that I am already at 90% of my 20 Gig limit! I can't figure out why my data usage would be so high, since my habits haven't really changed from when I was with Millenicom.

I then checked my Verizon account on-line and it said I've used zero data! I then hit the detail button and it showed a bunch of individual data counts which added up to about 5 Gig. Very strange. According to my Pepwave SOHO router, I've used about 10 gig since Nov 3.

I called Verizon and they were clueless. They couldn't figure out why I would have received a 90% warning email. They said there is a "glitch" in the system and notated my account. They said that I won't be charged for overage, but I don't believe them.

Then, a few hours later I got another email saying that my monthly data was used up. Very strange. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Bob and Denise

2011 Tiffin Phaeton 42QBH

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

I am having the same issue. The JetPack and my Verizon show 0 GB used of 0GB. When I call I had used 3.5GB and 3 days later, I get a notification that the data usage had jumped to 10 GB.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I switched from Millenicom to Verizon using the $99 per month 20 gigabyte change-over deal. My data started counting on Nov 3. Today I received an email from Verizon saying that I am already at 90% of my 20 Gig limit! I can't figure out why my data usage would be so high, since my habits haven't really changed from when I was with Millenicom.

I then checked my Verizon account on-line and it said I've used zero data! I then hit the detail button and it showed a bunch of individual data counts which added up to about 5 Gig. Very strange. According to my Pepwave SOHO router, I've used about 10 gig since Nov 3.

I called Verizon and they were clueless. They couldn't figure out why I would have received a 90% warning email. They said there is a "glitch" in the system and notated my account. They said that I won't be charged for overage, but I don't believe them.

Then, a few hours later I got another email saying that my monthly data was used up. Very strange. Has anyone else had similar problems?

I've called Verizon several times trying to find out my data usage with no luck. Then a couple days ago I got a gal that I think knew what she was doing and she said I had used 3.57 gb. Then a friend of mine was here yesterday and said there is a menu system (don't we love those) that you can go through to get your data used. I tried using it and it said I had used 3.94 gb, so that could be for one day more of usage. I don't think the folks at Verizon that answer the phones know what's going on.

Very timely topic - I checked my usage last night on myverizon and got the -0- usage report. Clicked around on everything I could find that 'might' give an answer and got nothing. So....I will call this morning and see what answer I get. I have not (yet) received the warning email.

Thanks to those keeping this developement on the table. It helps knowing what we might be up against.

I called Verizon CS last Friday with the 0 GB data issue and they would have to send it to an esclated section to resolve and still nothing. So do not hold your breath waiting for an answer.

Kne

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I had a similar problem. When I called today I was told that it was a known problem that they were working on. The person told me my usage which seemed reasonable compared to may past usage. I was told anytime I want to know my usage until it was fixed to just call.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

Our Jetpack also says 0 of 0 gigs used, and we got a warning about data usage even though we are only at 25%. Online we can see usage for individual devices (only one in our case, and it seems right) but total usage is 0. So it's some kind of glitch, and it sounds like they're aware of it.

There's more to see than can ever be seen

More to do than can ever be done

I read these posts with some concern since most of my Internet is via my Galaxy Note 3 either direct or via PdaNet+ tether and wondered if I had any issues. Checked MyVerizon and it shows a bit less than my phone's data usage does. So I'm ok so far. Might be more of an issue with those not using a smart phone as a hot spot.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

I am having the opposite problem. My account showed I used 5GB over a period of 4 hours. I have a 5GB plan. When I called in they said it was my sim card. They sent me a new sim card, bumped me up to 10GB for the month. At the end of the month I was supposed to get a refund for the difference between the 5&10 GB plans.

Later in the month, with the new sim card, it went nuts again.......another 5GB in a few hours. I ended up with a bill of $140 for 16GB used with 10 of it a screw up. I was on the phone for over 4 hours. They are going to make me pay for the second 5 GB mistake. I told them I don't trust them any more, as this may happen again in the future and I will have to eat it again. I told them to drop my service. Now they are saying I have to pay the full amount and I won't get the promised refund for the first 5 GB if I am going to drop my service.

My computer shows I used just under 12 GB with Verizon in the last 60 days. If you google the over data problem you will find it is pretty common.......lots of people complaining. Verizon has a serious problem.......keep a close eye on your account!!!!

I know of several people in the last couple years that have had this problem and I sent them to Millenicom. Where do I send them now!!!

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

I know of several people in the last couple years that have had this problem and I sent them to Millenicom. Where do I send them now!!!

Dave

exactly! In 5 years I never went over my 5gigs w/ V until this last year. Then all of a sudden, every month I had overages, V couldn't explain it, said FCC rules handcuffs them in determining where my usage goes. I also explained that with other "utility" co., when you feel you are being wrongfully charged, they come out and exchange your meter or put a monitor on your account. V rep would sympathize and understand, say they don't have anything like that and tell me a service manager would call me. I never did I get a return call. So I went to M. Now back w/ V and am having the same issue as everybody else here is talking about, except no notification of usage nor can I find my usage at "my verizon".

travel safe and enjoy the ride

Eric and Karla Trippe w/ their dog Kora always in our thoughts
2006 3650 Georgie Boy Landau.. on a F53 chassis.
pulling a Malibu Maxx...w/ a kayak on top (Liquid Logic Duce Coupe)

09/16 update, after 8 yrs of fting, bought a house in Crystal Lake, IL

http://acoupleofboomers.blogspot.com

Some of the culprits for unexplained high data consumption are software updates running hidden in the background, plus viruses and/or malware.

Assuming a PC is virus/malware free...

Adobe software products such as their PDF Viewer, Java, and Flash are notorious for attempting to download large updates unseen in the background. Adobe isn't the only ones though. These big downloads seem to fail over a cellular data connection, and when they fail, the update is retried repeatedly driving up data consumption. The only way to fix this is to find the settings for each software product and turn off the automatic updates. Later, when connected to a good unlimited WiFi network, updates can be manually downloaded and installed directly from the software company's website.

Also, Windows OS updates set to automatically download are another prime source of high data consumption. This setting can be changed so you're instead notified when a download is available, but it can be postponed until unlimited WiFi is available.

Best regards,

John L.

Fulltimer Class of 2013
Home Base: Seaview, WA
2014 Ram 3500 6X6 (Dually) Laramie Crew Cab Long Bed
2007 Northwood Arctic Fox 25R travel trailer

Please visit our BLOG

AZARCACOIDMTNVNMOKORTXUTWAWYmed.jpg

I have turned off automatic updates and also installed "ClickToPlugin" on my Macbook Air. This is a nice extension which disables plug-ins on Safari, so video doesn't automatically play and other flash stuff doesn't automatically go off when viewing web pages. If you want a particular plug-in to launch, you can click it - or configure the extension to allow desirable plug-ins all the time. So far it's been working pretty well and has reduced my data usage.

But Verizon still appears to be over-counting my data. I am trying to keep track of it with my Pepwave SOHO router and also with the Verizon data tab. Hopefully they won't charge me overage this month even though they sent me an email saying I am over my 20 gB limit.

Bob and Denise

2011 Tiffin Phaeton 42QBH

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

I think what many of us are saying is that for months/years we've had the same average usage. Mine was with Millenicom checked via NetWorx - they were very close to the same. Now that we are dealing directly with Verizon it has gone up considerably.

My on-line habits have not changed, my computer is set-up just as it was, long ago I got rid of or changed anything that was automatic update or download. Just seems there's some dirty dealing going on - and the fact no one can get a straight answer throws a bit of fuel on the fire.

It really does make one think that Verizon has some sort of problem. Not all of us that have been on Millenicom can have problems when in most cases in years we never went over our time or even close then we change to Verizon and all of a sudden in our first month or two we are using data at alarming rates. Something is going on for sure.

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

Thanks to everyone for posting this problem. Now we know it is Verizon, and not us. I think this thing is out of their control!

I came over from Millenicom too. I am having the same problem. My jetpack and the Verizon website have been showing zero data used. If I go to details on the website, it shows several entries of data useage for each day, but it would take a lot of time to add them up myself. Certainly the entries are not near 20 gigs, maybe closer to 5 gigs.

I am also getting email alerts that I am over my 20 gig data plan. Today I got one saying I am at 190% of plan!

I have called three times. Each time I have been abandoned. The first time they said they would take care of it and nothing happened. The second time the guy said he would make sure it was taken care of. He called me back twice. The second time he said it was fixed, but I would have to wait until midnight for the system to reset, and that he would call me back the next day to make sure everything was ok. He didn't call back again. The third guy told me he would stay with me until it was fixed. He even texted me his email address. I forwarded that 190% of plan alert to him, and it came back "permanently undeliverable."

Also, each time I called I asked what my usage actually was, and they could look it up and it was about 5 gigs. They told me to ignore the overage alerts. But they keep coming.

I think no one knows how to fix this, and when they see that, they are giving up and abandoning us.

The last time I needed a phone, I refused to go on a contract with them. Now I know why. The next question is, would ATT be more of the same????

I am taking pictures of the jetpack data screen and the website screen. I have been taking notes, but will record my next calls to them. They are using public airwaves. The call after next is to my US Senator. Again, would ATT be more of the same? Years ago, I was with another company they bought out, and they treated me very badly.

John & Connie Parker
2001 Ford Bounder 33' Motorhome
2016 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 towed
Lifetime Members SKP #96350

Same exact problem here. When I was with Millenicom my average monthly use all summer was 5 to 6 gig a month. Now Verizon is telling me I'm at or over 20 gig limit. I only use a smartphone and a tablet with the hot spot and no desktop computer.

If you log into your My Verizon account for the hot spot you can access a print out of your usage. I added all mine up and it is about 13 gig to this point in the month. But there are large blocks of 300 500 600 megabytes shown repeatedly. And lots of 100 200 300 megabytes. I smell a rat.

I do absolutely no videos. I do no gaming. All I do is check news sites and some of the RV sites and nothing much else.

I had no problems at all with Millenicom and now I have to deal with these Verizon on bas***ds.

Same exact problem here. When I was with Millenicom my average monthly use all summer was 5 to 6 gig a month. Now Verizon is telling me I'm at or over 20 gig limit. I only use a smartphone and a tablet with the hot spot and no desktop computer.

If you log into your My Verizon account for the hot spot you can access a print out of your usage. I added all mine up and it is about 13 gig to this point in the month. But there are large blocks of 300 500 600 megabytes shown repeatedly. And lots of 100 200 300 megabytes. I smell a rat.

I do absolutely no videos. I do no gaming. All I do is check news sites and some of the RV sites and nothing much else.

I had no problems at all with Millenicom and now I have to deal with these Verizon on bas***ds.

Anyone had the "0 of 0GB data used" issue resolved? If so, please let us know how.

I wonder if those of us affected have something specific in common. For example, we use a Pantech MHS291LVW Jetpack, signed up for the 20 GB deal for Millenicom customers, don't have any other Verizon accounts/devices, kept the same SIM card, and got a new "phone" number when we switched over.

FYI, myVerizon lets you download a spreadsheet of data details, so you can use an Excel formula (or the free OpenOffice) to get a total.

There's more to see than can ever be seen

More to do than can ever be done

The '0 of 0GB' issue still exists here on our 4620LE Jetpack as well. We also have no other Verizon direct account/devices, although our Tracfone phones and Straight Talk hotspot do use the Verizon network.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

If this continues, maybe a class action law suit is in order to make them pay attention. Think how many thousands of people they could be doing this to and the millions of extra dollars they would rake in. I knew there was a good reason we don't have anything thru verizon. Our Millenicom device was verizon service, and for 4 years we had no problem. Glad we didn't follow the pack.

Pat DeJong

Archived