Hauler bodys, looks, function, longevity

HTB

The side skirts are bolted on, however, they are not something you would want to remove very often. But in the event that one would find it beneficial to remove they could be take off with common tools. My intentions of this were to merely collect feedback on something I believe this forum is very familiar with. If this helps someone find a resource that is great as I am also using your feedback as a resource. The Volvos sit low especially with the side skirts on. The easiest way to access the drive train with tire on is from the front of bed under bunk. I believe all beds are unique to the owner’s wants and needs. I’m not here to discuss prices. However, this is not a box store bed so it’s not as easy as putting a box store price on it. If you want more information email me.

The side skirts are bolted on, however, they are not something you would want to remove very often. But in the event that one would find it beneficial to remove they could be take off with common tools. My intentions of this were to merely collect feedback on something I believe this forum is very familiar with. If this helps someone find a resource that is great as I am also using your feedback as a resource. The Volvos sit low especially with the side skirts on. The easiest way to access the drive train with tire on is from the front of bed under bunk. I believe all beds are unique to the owner’s wants and needs. I’m not here to discuss prices. However, this is not a box store bed so it’s not as easy as putting a box store price on it. If you want more information email me.

Nicely stated. The bed does look really nice.

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Hauler beds are very nice and functional but how do you do maintenace on the driveline and brakes?

The same way every motorhome does....from underneath.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• 1 month later...

First of all Thank you all for the kind words. We really enjoy this truck and phase two for the

interior is in progress.Judy and I will plan on attending the ECR this spring in Tenn. Also Thank you

to our builder who along with his team made this happen. If you need larger pictures, please go to my

FB page " Denver N. Geitgey Anouncer" , go to photos, albums, and Volvo build.

Thanks Again !!

Denver and Judy Geitgey

Spindrift,

Thanks for the view. Yes it is. We measured our needed distance and for those of us that don't care for another vehicle with us, we have all the room we need. Thus we could place the fifth wheel pin further forward. This will load the rig more evenly I believe. As far as ride, it's like a flea on a camels back anyways. And with the air hitch it really lets the camper ride smooth. We will be at the East Coast Rally in April so if you want look us up and we'll be glad to swap ideas!

Denver and Judy

• 2 weeks later...

RRoger,

Thank you for the compliment. ! You're probably right, but I'm not to worried about that. When the white stuff comes I put her in the barn , and I go to the house

I am with you with that plan, but should you ever take a trip to CA (over the passes.) from Nov to April, you are required to carry chains, even if the road is open with no restrictions. In nice weather they don't usually check, but once in a while you will get a hard nose cop.

A hint on your sliding fifth wheel positioning. Go and get an axle weight and adjust accordingly. Farther forward and more weight is on your steer axle, and farther back more weight to the drives.

If you do not have enough weight on your drive axle this effects your ability to steer and brake effectively. Also each tractor varies a bit on how fuel effects the weight distribution so if you are close to axle with empty tanks putting on 300 gallons can put you over if you are not careful. The same thing could also be a factor with how you load the trailer and if your tanks are full or empty. As an example if you have a toy hauler with the bulk of the load behind the center of balance it takes weight off your drive axle. Conversely, if you scale out OK with a lot of weight in the back and then are driving with out the toys in the back you can add weight to the drives and cause you some grief.

So until you are sure, scale with empty and full tanks, (fuel and water) also with and without heavy stuff in the back. Make notes on your scale tickets so you can have a point of reference in the future. Also the maximum weight allowed on any axle is the lowest rating (statutory, the axle itself, the wheel, or the tire.) The only point you can argue is that the weight of the tire itself has to be subtracted from the scale weight as the rating is what the tire will support independent of its own weight. Otherwise they charge by the pound, and like income taxes they have brackets.

If you have the time also check the side to side loading. You want the left and the right side to be as close to even as you can get. A panic stop on a curve can kill you if you are way out of whack.

Archived