Hauler bodys, looks, function, longevity

HTB

New to the forum and wanted to share our most recent bed build with you fine folks. After a week of suspension work and a "single" transformation, the bed took me a little over three weeks to design and fabricate. Sand blasting, RHINO lining, and paint took another two weeks. Designing the bed was a mixture of maximizing the usable space, limiting potential high corrosion areas, and making the bed as functional as possible. Seal design was also first and foremost. With virtually unlimited possibilities and configurations for boxes it really came down to what you want out of your bed. Is it a pretty wrapper around the back or does it need to have storage capacity? Side ladders where added to assist in boarding the bed. The truck is supporting a 2 inch receiver, fifth wheel, and hide away goose neck ball. In the end we were very happy with how the build went mechanically and visually and we can’t wait to take on our next custom bed. Please let me know what you think! post-41946-0-22875500-1415632904_thumb.jpgpost-41946-0-46436200-1415633596_thumb.jpgpost-41946-0-86197900-1415633649_thumb.jpgpost-41946-0-53505900-1415633659_thumb.jpgpost-41946-0-32861700-1415633678_thumb.jpgpost-41946-0-76253000-1415633866_thumb.jpg

Very nice job. Some nice touches there. I especially like the ladder. Custom? Or an adaptation of an existing ladder?

It would be great if you could put the larger pictures (and more of them) in an external album and provide a link here. Something like Google photos or in Onedrive or any of the photo hosting sites. Most are free.

Also, are you a custom bedbuilder or a general truck frame place or a welding shop? Knowing more about you might help other forum members if they need your services.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

One of the best looking beds that I have seen! Really nice job.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Ladders where custom build to fit runway in bed. Fender flares are unique because they are made of steel, not plastic or rubber. We are a fabrication/ heavy truck shop based out of northwest Oh. We have a complete service department and a well outfitted fabrication shop servicing many industries. However, my passion is custom automotive work, therefore, hauler formations are right up our ally. We intend to do more beds and have a few builds in pre works currently. When you work with good clientele and truly enjoy what you do it makes the end product so much better. Please find attached an album of the build. Also check out our website for more information.

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/htbfab/library/?sort=6&page=2

http://harrisontruckandbody.com

I like that ladder.....as long as you are not in bare feet! ;)

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Nice job! I really like the ladders and the headache rack/spare tire mount.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

HTB,

Welcome to the site. Nice looking truck. Thank you for sharing the links. It looks like you have a shop that can do it all. It would be nice to see you and your truck at the 2015 ECR in Tenn.. There is a great group of HDTers at the rally. Nice to know that there is a shop in Ohio that can do bed work for the trucks.

Thank you for sharing and welcome,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate the feedback! My name is Nick Koval. This truck was built for Denver Geitgey, professional announcer and auctioner. Works perfict for his busy schedule and travel. Ask for Nick if you ever need anything. Denver does plan to tour the truck , Tenn. may not be out of the question. Once again appreciate the feedback. Ph. 4192882897.

Wow, that's all I can say...wow. Very impressive design and execution. Hope you can come to the East Coast Rally in Tennessee so that I can drool on your bed. I understand that it is for a customer, but would sure like to see it or one similar to it. True craftsmanship. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

It looks nice. However if you cannot put a smart car on the back I believe you really limit your resale market. We were the 4th to put the smart car on the deck. I believe most people today want the smart to run around in. And if they don't it's only because they have not spoke to someone who has it.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

I am looking forward to a tandem axle car hauler! I have already designed the structural supports and deck! Just waiting for someone who needs one! It would follow the same general lines and look as this, only of course, modified for the car. I am also consider building one for the family and for a demo model. Also working on putting a jeep wrangler on the back. I tend to find myself in situations where four wheel drive would be desirable.

The great part about these builds is your starting with enough truck to do just about anything you can dream up and that’s what we love doing.

While some certainly do non-Volvo builds if I was building a spec truck it would be only on a Volvo. They have some advantages, but most importantly is the base of knowledge on the forum/resource guide about them. It will be far easier to sell a Volvo given equal specs to another truck. Any spec truck IMO should be able to carry a smart, and have a drom box. (or be designed to add a drom). JMO.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Hauler beds are very nice and functional but how do you do maintenace on the driveline and brakes? Are the panels removable?

1993 Freightliner 3406C Cat, 400 HP, 9 speed, singled long, 3.91 ratio, 264" wheel base, 12' flat deck with dove tail

1997 F350 dually, 4wd conversion, intercooler, 3 inch intakes, WW2 compressor wheel, bellowed up-pipes,

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

4a8a58ec-58d7-48af-b0d7-9dd42cf5b43a_zps

Hauler beds are very nice and functional but how do you do maintenace on the driveline and brakes? Are the panels removable?

From underneath. It is not a problem, in my experience. Slightly inconvenient at times, but not as big an issue as some would have you believe.

As far as pricing goes....this is getting very near the things that are not allowed on the forum. Personally, I think that crosses the line into complete commercial advertising. But that is just MY opinion.

www.jackdanmayer.com

From underneath. It is not a problem, in my experience. Slightly inconvenient at times, but not as big an issue as some would have you believe.

As far as pricing goes....this is getting very near the things that are not allowed on the forum. Personally, I think that crosses the line into complete commercial advertising. But that is just MY opinion.

Jack,

Understood and I retract my previous post in fairness to the Original poster as this may have not been his intentions.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived