Done with Good Sam!

rebntx

One evening my wife a couple months ago my wife called as I was away from the rig (Open Range 32' Roamer) and said smoke was pouring out of the fuse box and tv. I rushed 'home' to find the fuse box, converter, tv, microwave, vacuum and ac all 'dead'.

I checked the $400 surge protector outside and it had not been tripped. I checked with Idaho Power Co and they said 'no surge occurred in the park where we were parked. I checked with the other five rigs on our circuit and none of them had a surge. I checked with the park manager who said no other rigs reported a surge.

I filed a claim with Good Sam via my extended warranty. Good Sam denied the claim. They said it had to be a surge which they did not cover. I traded the rig for a new Blackwood, but had to pay $2600 for the 'failed' appliances.

I have corresponded with GS on several occasions but to no avail.

I am filing a suit in Small Claims court. I will have avadavats from the power company, the park manager, neighbors, etc...as well as a electrical engineer who will testify in person that there was no surge, but was a failure of the breaker box, which in turn 'killed' the other appliances.

I will also seek interest on the $$ I paid for the replacements of the appliances.

I am soon cancelling my extended warranty with Good Sam.

GS has called me a liar and worse.

Enough is enough!

What does your warranty cover?

I have to say that I have gone through several power surges and the local PUD has denied that anything happened every single time. One of them fried a surge protector (and almost set a fire) but "nope... no surge".

Unless you have a way to log the incidents as they occur I suspect that denial is customary. I hate being a cynic...

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Write a letter to Lemonis, the CEO. I just went through a similar experience and they denied the claim in it's entirety. Sent him an e-mail, they reopened the claim and ended up paying about half of the original claim. didn't get all my money back, but half was better than none.

Retired Air Force

2003 Newmar Dutch Star Model # 4006

Sparton Chassis Cummins 350 ISC

I'd contact the surge protector manufacturer too. Perhaps they can check the SP and determine if/if not it experienced a surge. A letter from them may help any legal actions.

Also, I seem to recall that the surge protector companies offer some sort of protection guarantee. That could be an avenue to pursue.

Good Luck - there will be a bunch of us watching this one...

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

I feel your pain. There may many good things with GS, but the roadside assistance is not one of them. We had a claim with "trip interruption" part of that program. We did everything by the book and they denied our claim first because they wanted us to fill out a 1 page questionaire. After returning that then they wanted more info....then more info....which after about 5 back and forths.....we forfilled their request each time. They finally denied the claim based off the fact " the vehicle we hit didn't have an occupant in it!!!!" For gosh sakes, I feel better now!!! They wore me down to the point I gave up.........and the claim was only $525.00 I'm bad mouth them enough to get my money's worth 10 times over. I'm about the easiest guy to get along with, but this one really got my goat. End of rant. rockin'

PS...I've had the roadside assistance program with GS for about the first 6 years of our FTing experience. Had several flats on the 5er and changed all of them myself. Seems we were always more than 2 hours away from the closest tire service. The first time this happened.....I thought just it was a fluke. I waited about 2 hours and then changed the tire myself.....then called them back and they hadn't even found anyone to come out yet..... O boy! What luck!!! rockin'

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

I will keep you guys up to date, but it will be after I get back to Idaho in the early spring before I file the suit. Have to file it in the state/county where the incident occurred. Meanwhile, I've written several letters, made several phone calls, etc and got nothing but denials. I wrote Lemonis, the CEO, and he did not respond.

BTW, I recently scrapped the side of my rv on a gate when it closed slightly after I started in and had $4400 damage. Geico paid $3900 with little questions. Just a receipt and a photo. Paid in a couple weeks! No problem with them at all. Plus they reduced my coverage premium a $1000 when I went with them three years ago. I am glad some companies are honest and care.

Sad..

We've had great results with GS five different times over six years..

Do you have images of the failure? Closeups? An EE or an electrical expert might be able to provide proof or opinion of what caused it.

Several members here have extensive electrical backgrounds.. maybe post them here?

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

I wouldn't post the photos. That would possibly give Good Sam access to them. PM them if an electrical person offers to help

Why would that be an issue? Posting them here would allow a large number of members to view them and provide experienced opinions. It's not a trial, it's a claim. At some point, you would have to provide images to them if requested anyway.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

If they have filed suit , their attorneys should be handling any evidence that he can come up with. They also may not want it shared until the case has been concluded.

Also - did you check with your regular insurance. Your loss should have been covered minus your deductible under the comprehensive coverage that you carry on your policy. If it was later found that any equipment failed and caused the loss, your insurance company would then have the right to go after the manufacturer to recover an monies paid. Best part -- they have their own attorneys and you wouldn't need to hire one at your expense.

Pat DeJong

I have no intention of posting photos. This a claim I will file in Small Claims court in ID. I do not need an attorney for small claims court. It's just me and the GS rep who will present before the judge. If they do not appear, I win by default, though I expect them to appear.

WOW!

Seems like another good topic(s) for a rally. Many folks have purchased EW coverage thinking that they had coverage. I would guess that we have many experts as members in related fields that could share with us their knowledge and skills. READ THE POLICY!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Be careful of misusing small claims court. Forcing a non resident corp to defend what they will claim is a frivolous claim could get you charged to cover their legal defense costs.

It will be almost impossible to prove it wasn't a surge that caused the damage and what will it cost you to have your "experts" in court to testify what they believe the cause was? (and if they are not professional experts- i.e. expensive - the opposing attorney will eat them alive.) Be careful of relying on letters etc as there is no opportunity to cross examine and most likely will be thrown out. Bottom line your costs of litigation will far exceed your potential recovery and those costs are not recoverable.

Then, even if you get a judgment, how do you enforce it? In most states you have to go to regular court and get another judgment that can be enforced and even then if the defendant doesn't have any assets located in that state that you can attach, you end up on the short end unless you want to pursue further litigation in the company's home state.

Your far better remedy is to move on and learn from the experience on who you should deal with in the future.

PS: Check the fine print - I bet there is an arbitration clause as well as a location of litigation clause forcing you to their home turf and dealing with their retained attorneys. (While you and all your experts incur travel expenses.)

We have had Extended warranties on both our 5th wheels for the last 8 years and have used them several times with no problems. The last claim for two leaking holding tanks was with GS and they paid with out a question. Never had one for a power surge.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

PS: Check the fine print - I bet there is an arbitration clause as well as a location of litigation clause forcing you to their home turf and dealing with their retained attorneys. (While you and all your experts incur travel expenses.)

Here is another topic for discussion - Arbitration Clauses. This article by Robert Reich shows that 94% of all arbitration clauses are won by the company, as arbitrators are included in a pool tangentially governed by the companies. If you lose many cases, you are not included in the pool. http://www.afj.org/multimedia/first-monday-films/films/lost-in-the-fine-print

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

here is a original idea. Call the extended warranty company and ask them what they cover if you have a specific question after you have read and think you understand the warranty contract that they sent you. We are now 8 years into EW's with two different companies and have used them several times without issue.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain. There may many good things with GS, but the roadside assistance is not one of them. We had a claim with "trip interruption" part of that program. We did everything by the book and they denied our claim first because they wanted us to fill out a 1 page questionaire. After returning that then they wanted more info....then more info....which after about 5 back and forths.....we forfilled their request each time. They finally denied the claim based off the fact " the vehicle we hit didn't have an occupant in it!!!!" For gosh sakes, I feel better now!!! They wore me down to the point I gave up.........and the claim was only $525.00 I'm bad mouth them enough to get my money's worth 10 times over. I'm about the easiest guy to get along with, but this one really got my goat. End of rant. rockin'

PS...I've had the roadside assistance program with GS for about the first 6 years of our FTing experience. Had several flats on the 5er and changed all of them myself. Seems we were always more than 2 hours away from the closest tire service. The first time this happened.....I thought just it was a fluke. I waited about 2 hours and then changed the tire myself.....then called them back and they hadn't even found anyone to come out yet..... O boy! What luck!!! rockin'

Take a good look at "Coach Net" for roadside Help.(either google for web site or 877 801 0333) We have had them for over ten years with multiple uses and no complaints. Similar stories from many others.

A little more expensive than GS, but we have found "you get what you paid for".

Dave O

• 2 months later...

Since you won't be in Idaho until spring, perhaps in the meantime you could post it up on the GS forums and see if you can get an escalation. With the documentation you have seems like you have a really good case and have unfortunately only talked to lower level adjusters. Get one of the advocates and push REAL hard. Could save you the time/money hassle of small claims court. If nothing else, you give good negative exposure - something GS really doesn't like.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Archived