Washington State as a F/Ter Domicile

If you are a Texas resident and buy in another state and register it there then bring it back to Texas and re-register it there witn in a certain time frame that I can't remember Texas will collect the difference in sales tax if it was lower in the other state plus the $90. mentioned. I know this from personal experience.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, if you are a current resident who buys in another state, you are liable for the difference between the tax paid and the 6.75% (depending upon the county) if there is any - but I don't remember the $90 fee when we did that. However, the $90 is for NEW residents bring their personal vehicles with them as they move into the state.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Did you mean to say a new to Texas for the 1st time rv? (new or used) Unless it has changed it applies to Texas residents, too. both times it happened to me registering and titleing at Livingston they charged the $90. and I have been a Tx resident since 1953.

We bought our MH in Florida, paid the sales tax there, got it back to Texas, had it weighed and went and registered it. They took the sales tax we paid in Florida (had the dealers sales receipt with us), subtracted it from the sales tax owed in Smith county and we paid the difference plus the year's registration. Now it could be that there was a $90 fee in there - I don't remember it. But I do know that when we moved to Texas in 2001, we paid $90 for each car when we registered them as a new resident - no sales/use tax at all.

On edit: I went and look at form 130-U on the Texas.gov website. The $90 is listed as a new resident fee only. And the instructions for the form says it is only for new residents of the state. Maybe it is a county-specific fee you were charged? Like I said, I don't remember any $90 fee and I can't get to the registration application right now.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

That is what happened to me on the rv I bought used in Fl. reregistered title and taxed in Tx within whatever that time frame I can't remember was. If I had been a Tx. resident or had bought it in Fl. for some longer time and owned it free and clear I would have only had the title, registration, and $90. Since it was less time I had to make up the difference in the sales tax as I had all the proof as you did. I ended up eating a few months of Fl registration and the fees I had paid there.

Archived