2015 National HDT Rally

sdixon747

Bonnie and I will have to miss the rally this year as I just found out I will be having shoulder surgery on Sep[ember 17th. Will be taking the Volvo and New Horizons to Mission,Texas (Retama Village) after Labor day then return (rental car or fly) back to Wisconsin for the surgery. Doctor said he would have me ready to go back to Texas first part of November, so will have to deal with a little cold weather before we get to Texas for winter. Enjoy the rally, sorry we will be missing it. .

Gail & Bonnie Quinn (Full-timing since July 18, 2004)

2001 Volvo 610 autoshift (Ultimate V Rod) 465 HP, 1650 Torque, 3:42 gears with air locker, pictures of build can be seen @ http://community.web...theeskimogquinn

2010 New Horizons 45' custom Majestic, pictures of construction can be seen @ http://picasaweb.goo...com/gailquinn48

2003 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI, 100 HP, 118 Torque; Blog of 2007 Alaska trip @ http://quinntheeskim...nn.blogspot.com

2013 Smart Passion fortwo coupe

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to miss it this year too. Preparing for my High School Class Reunion the last of September and will be taking a week off for it. Will coincide with the Homecoming Week festivities. Homecoming Parade, Homecoming Game and then on Saturday night the Reunion. 40 years out of High School and some haven't changed a bit. Just don't seem fair.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We sent in our registration for the rally. Gregg has our HDT "Storm" in his shop now. Planning to order a 5th wheel later this year. Hoping to hit the road late Spring 2016. We're really looking forward to the rally, since we won't have our rig we'll be in a hotel this time.

Hotel is where we started and we learned a lot.

Yes, I remember that wide-eyed couple with the little half ton LGT wandering around the 2008 Rally.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Yes, I remember that wide-eyed couple with the little half ton LGT wandering around the 2008 Rally.

I also remember a totally "homeless" couple sitting on my deck talking about fulltiming and a truck. it takes a lot of nerve to sell everything and walk away when you have NO PLACE to go.

"We've come a long way" is an understatement!! :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 2 weeks later...

We will not be able to attend this year. I have retired from the FAA and took a job with SkyWest Airlines. I will be in Atlanta during the rally in simulators learning to fly the CRJ's.

Have fun and take care all.

Mike, Suzan & Boomer

Mike, Suzan and Boomer too

1999 Volvo 770 "Devil Dog", Detroit 60, Auto Shift.

ET Hitch, ET Jackalopee, Pressure Pro, Max Brake

2004 Mobile Suites 36CK3

Semper Fi

We will miss seeing Suzan and Boomer this year but without you being there it will give us someone else to trash talk. May take some of the pressure off Phil. I can only defend one person at a time and I will have my hands plenty full defending Phil. Maybe RickW will stand up for you.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Mike and Susan, we will all miss Boomer (and you two also), but Brad, what is this defending stuff all about? I thought we use last years picture and post it up on the walls and grab a set of darts!? Unless you are trying to get someone on your side (in case you flake out on us)?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Mike, congratulations on the CRJ. It looks like it would be great fun to fly. We'll miss you. You know you could go ahead and send Susan and Boomer out to Kansas :lol:

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

Howdy All,

I have been doing a lot of work getting ready for this years rally, changed all the fluids and filters on the truck, changed three steel coolant lines that were to rusty for my peace of mind, checked all the brakes, coolant lines, air lines, greased the chassis, adjusted the belts, all is now well. As I am going to be visiting with motorcycle riding friends all the way back home as I did last year, I have had to do some work to the rear deck so I can haul the RKC, Road King Classic. The garage will be full as I am taking the Smart Car so I can do the cruise control install with proper guidance and one of the Ural sidecar rigs.

I welded six new tie down fixtures to the rear deck, I used the bottom from an old pickup box liner to make a pad to store the ramps on the deck so it won't get all scratched up when carrying the ramps, putting them on or taking them off. Loading the Ural on the rear deck isn't a problem, driving the Hog up a 20 degree slope and backing it down may prove to be a butt puckering experience, time will tell.

This is how the ramps look when attached to the truck in the load-unload position.

IMG_1406-L.jpg

This shows the ramps in the stowed position, with the Hog tied down and the ramps stowed I can still jack knife the trailer to the truck at 90 degrees and will have a minimum of four inches of clearance between the bottom of the trailer over hang and the top of the stacked ramps, so this should work well.

DSCF3140-L.jpg

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

When you back the RKC down the ramp leave it in gear with the engine off. Feather the clutch to control your speed.

Howdy Ron,

Thanks for the tip. I have been doing that with all my bikes for a long time, my biggest fear is misplacing my foot and getting it stuck between the bars that criss-cross the top of the ramp. I have always used a solid top ramp for the RKC or other types of two wheeled bikes in the past using a pretty much open top ramp on a two wheeled bike will be a first for me. :unsure:

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Hi Dave,

That would be my question also. Could you just connect the ramps to the other side and drive her down. That is what I did for my Smart so I can load and unload from either side. Inquiring minds want to know.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Hi mr cob - going off thread here for a moment - how would your ramp setup work as a ride on - ride off arrangement rather than backing down?

Howdy noteven,

That would work, all I would have to do is mount another channel that holds the ramps to the truck deck on the other side of the truck and then mount the ramps on the other side and ride down. I have thought of doing that and if backing the Hog down poses a problem that would be the easiest solution.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Hi Dave,

That would be my question also. Could you just connect the ramps to the other side and drive her down. That is what I did for my Smart so I can load and unload from either side. Inquiring minds want to know.

Brad

Howdy Brad,

Yes it would be a good solution if backing the bike poses a problem, I have loaded and unloaded bikes at worse angles but have in the past always used a ramp with a solid top surface, its the open grid pattern on the ramps that are giving me the willys, probably more of a problem in my mind this actuality.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Well gang sorry to report Angie and I might not make the rally.

Stopped at Niagara Falls on the way back from Nova Scotia and the trans decided it has had enough fun. Already replaced the wiring harness for the tranny tomstop a communications error and low and behold there was also a clutch issue as well.

So we're here till parts arrive and clutch and other related items are installed. There's worst places to be than buffalo ny in the fall. 78 degrees and sunny.

Later boys

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

JC,

Is the clutch just worn to the point it won't let you go or is there some other issue? I know there's supposed to be a clutch wear message displayed on my truck warning that it's almost time...

Even if it takes 2 weeks, you should still be able to make the rally!

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

JC,

Is the clutch just worn to the point it won't let you go or is there some other issue? I know there's supposed to be a clutch wear message displayed on my truck warning that it's almost time...

Even if it takes 2 weeks, you should still be able to make the rally!

David

We have to get some repair work done at forks on the way.

It's been a real pain to get this diagnosis. It's a beer and a campfire story kinda thing.

Maybe we'll make the last couple days.

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Archived