A Pet Can Be A Lifesaver

gypsydan

The below video demonstrates why, if you are a solo traveler, having a pet can be a life saver, especially if you go into a hospital, or rest home, or other type of support system.

If would be interesting to hear ideas on how we can assure ourselves that we do not become separated from our pet(s) when sick on the road? Like this man, who had his dog taken away when taken to the hospital. The dog could have been taken to the local pound and euthanized. At CARE, in Livingston, this would not be a problem, but how about when you're in Podunk, USA?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/17/dying-man-reunited-dog-bubba-turnaround_n_6003486.html

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

Thanks for posting.

We got our first dog 3 years ago. Before that we would snicker when we saw the many elaborate "doggie" accessories; not any more:) Our dog is part of the family and knows when we are happy, sad or nervous. DH had major dental surgery and she never left his side definitely keeping his mind off his pending surgery and I am sure she speeded his recovery.

Our dog was born 2 days after my mom passed and I am sure there is a connection there as she was a dog lover. When my MIL passed last year our dog gave us lots of smiles and kept us going thru our grief.

I needed more exercise and now walk every morning at 5:30, still eat too much but DH lost 50lb the first year we had her because of the extra exercise. His Dr was very happy with the results.

As for accessories on her first birthday we got her a new bed at Costco as she had outgrown her first, it was the biggest thing I have ever seen. My girlfriend and I went thru the whole pile to find the last one in the color I wanted. While doing so the manager came up and said we were having too much fun in a Costco... violating rules of conduct:):):). I pulled out my phone and showed pictures of our beloved dog and explained it was for her first birthday party and he did the same. We chatted a few minutes and he helped us put the bed in our cart. Work called and we continued shopping. He later found us in another isle and gave us a complementary cake for her birthday which we share with our neighbors in the RV park.

It is important to have plans in place for your dog. Many hospitals are aware of the importance of dogs to patients recoveries and have Therapy Dog programs in place. You may want to contact a hospital near where you are staying and find out about their program. Specifically ask what is available for patients with dogs and what they might recommend.

For Escapees members there is the Pet Lovers BOFhttp://www.escapees.com/petlovers/ As they all RV with pets they may have additional options.

They also have a Yahoo Group but I think it is just for past newsletters? https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PET_LOVERS_BOF/info

Wife, Alie, has dog Sallie as her diabetic service dog. And yes the mutt is a lifesaver. She warns of low blood sugar usually before a monitor can catch it. She's always on duty but thankfully after 5-6 years of trial and error Alie's blood sugars are under control very nicely. So the mutt is more of a personal pet/kid than anything.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We have had several dogs who played a special part in our lives, probably the most so our beloved "Fancy" who served as Pam's psychiatrist at a very low period in her life. We are also privy to a series of dogs who are vital to the life of our daughter Jenny(our son's wife). Jenny is completely blind and has not even the vision to see sunlight or darkness. We have been privileged to know well all three of her guide dogs. First came Manhattan who retired after 6 years service to be replaced by Padre who then served 7 years and is now retired. Today, Marmalade is her sight and yet another really wonderful dog. All three have been yellow labs as are the majority of dogs from Guide Dogs for the Blind, a truly remarkable organization.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 1 month later...

It is said that a dog or canine is man’s best friend. I am here to tell you why. You can lock your dog in the closet or trunk of your car. When you come back in thirty minutes and open the door or trunk lid. They are happy to see you; waggling their tag and licking your face. Now try that with your dear DW or girlfriend!

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

We workamp part of the year and work outside the southern campground where we go in the winter. In any of our locations, there would be other campers/dog lovers who would watch after our dog. Ours is a small dog that is greeted and petted by everyone. The smaller campground probably are more like this than one with hundreds of sites.

Pat DeJong

I'm disabled a have a service dog and one of the biggest fears I have is being separated from him. I most places go I have made arrangements for him to be boarded at a local kennel or cared for by friends. County shelters have all too often euthed service dogs.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

"Chipped" ? My guys are chipped too. But have your vet scan them every time they go in, one of my "Home Again" chips went bad & didn't respond. HA sent a new chip & paid the vet to implant it.

On a second note, I have a picture of a cat preventing a house fire, but it's not for this forum. PM me with an address.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

"Chipped" ? My guys are chipped too. But have your vet scan them every time they go in, one of my "Home Again" chips went bad & didn't respond. HA sent a new chip & paid the vet to implant it.

On a second note, I have a picture of a cat preventing a house fire, but it's not for this forum. PM me with an address.

Thanks for the suggestion, good idea to have chipped checked periodically. It is no good if it doesn't work.

Archived