Idahotote and registration length?

Deezl Smoke

I called and talked to Idahotote today about whether or not one would have to re-register their rig to a longer length if they attached a tote. They did not know as they had never been asked and have not as of yet been contacted by anyone getting a citation.

But if one were already close to the legal length limit for their state, and added an Idahotote, what would your opinion or experience be with regards to registration? Would it be just an accessory, or would it be considered part of the trailer?

I'm a work'n on it.

Because its design and its intent are to bear some sort of cargo, I can't help but think that the law in most states would deem it to be a part of the overall length of the combination.

The best comparable example that I can think of would be those boattail-like aerodynamic extensions that fleets are attaching to the back of their box trailers. If you search the HDT Forum, a while back Scrap posted the certification letter from, if I recall correctly, the Federal DOT, stating that it was their opinion that the device didn't count as excess length, because the design was such that it wasn't intended to support cargo, so long as no cargo was carried within it. The Idaho tote, on the other hand, is obviously designed to bear cargo, so it's hard to imagine a scenario where a LEO wouldn't draw the opposite conclusion when considering whether or not to include it in the overall length of the combination.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Thanks Phil. I am also a bit worried, that even though it has no pivoting hitch per se', but has it's own axle etc., that the law may consider it triple towing. ?

It's a really cool little device for that bit of extra cargo one may to carry, but I dont think there are enough of them out on the road to get attention from the legislature. Pleading ignorant no longer works with the law, but since there is no legislation about it, perhaps as long as the leo is not a hot head, one may get away with it for a few years.

I'm a work'n on it.

An Idaho tote (and other similar platforms) is not triple towing because of the way it is connected to the 5er. It is an extension of the 5er and becomes part of it. An Idaho tote does count toward the overall length of the combination because it is part of the 5er it is attached to.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Howdy!

We used a Idaho Tote for seven years of fulliming throughout the US and parts of Canada and never had a problem. We were within the legal length at 65'. I don't understand the reason you would change the registration length. There are times we would disconnect the Tote and only use the 5er. Also when we sold the 5er we sold it without the Tote. Tote was sold separately.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Howdy!

We used a Idaho Tote for seven years of fulliming throughout the US and parts of Canada and never had a problem. We were within the legal length at 65'. I don't understand the reason you would change the registration length. There are times we would disconnect the Tote and only use the 5er. Also when we sold the 5er we sold it without the Tote. Tote was sold separately.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

Therein lies the reason for y question. It is a removable item and may not always be connected. So I would hope that no added registration would be needed. But these days one has to be as sure as possible before hand or be left sitting at the side of the road with a high dollar citation and waiting for a tow truck to haul the tote somewhere. I think the tote is a great thing but it does have it's own axle which may raise questions for a greenhorn leo.

I'm a work'n on it.

Howdy!

Deezl Smoke, the only thing I did when I connected the Idaho Tote to our 5er was move the 5er licene plate to the rear of Tote as it was and extention of our 5er. As stated before towed it for seven years never looked at or questioned by any LEO and we used it I beleive in any and all of the most questionable states.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'd guess it boils down to two options.

Either it is a trailer and considered as a trailer with all the connotations thereof,

or it's a part of the rig (when attached) and if so it would naturally add to the length of said rig.

I can't see how one could have it both ways.

Dave and Joyce Jeffries

Dodge 2500 and a 34' Copper Canyon 5er

Archived