Straight Talk

who's network are you on?

Verizon. I think in CO this summer we were roaming on AT&T but no sure.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Verizon. I think in CO this summer we were roaming on AT&T but no sure.

what kind of phone did you haave I had the cheapest LG from strait talk on the Verizon network and it wouldn't roam!! I know that Verizon uses CDMA and att is GSM I cant figure out how a Verizon phone can roam on ATT since it's two different systems

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ganto, we bought a Samsung Galaxy phone from Straightalk. It has unlimited calling, text, data, and free roaming for $45/mo. All of straightalks smart phones are on Verizon network if one believes their advertising.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ganto, we bought a Samsung Galaxy phone from Straightalk. It has unlimited calling, text, data, and free roaming for $45/mo. All of straightalks smart phones are on Verizon network if one believes their advertising.

You have to look at the maps on the box, if red, then they are on Verizon, if blue, then on AT&T.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Bill, our local WalMart has a sign stating such, the Straightalk "expert" pointed it out to me when I asked. The fliphones are all AT&T network. That could have changed since Sep. 20 when we got our phone.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

This is straight from the Straight Talk website:

Will my Straight Talk phone Roam?

No, your Straight Talk phone won't roam, you will be able to enjoy nationwide coverage on one of America´s best networks, at the same price of a local call!

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

• 2 weeks later...
Earl, on 10 Dec 2014 - 7:59 PM, said:

This is straight from the Straight Talk website:

Will my Straight Talk phone Roam?

No, your Straight Talk phone won't roam, you will be able to enjoy nationwide coverage on one of America´s best networks, at the same price of a local call!

that is true!! I do remember reading that on there site as well!! that's one of the reasons I got a prepaid satellite phone as well just for emergencies if couldn't get a cell signal!!

We used Straight Talk for several years. Never had 4g with them but we used our laptops and Millinicon for internet. We were very content with this setup. They were on Verizon network. When we lost Millinicon we went with ATT phones and tether them for internet.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Except for the ones that are on T-Mobile and AT&T.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

To straighten out the ST offerings. All the following are smartphones: I have had a Sprint CDMA ST phone, didn't like the lack of signal here so got Verizon ST phones. I just got a Windows GSM phone on AT&T. They also have GSM phones on T-Mobile towers. All you have to do is talk to the Walmart folks to see which current phones use which. As silly as it sounds if you get a second phone, you can switch your number and it is working in less than an hour. Your paid months carry over on your account regardless of which phone you use on which towers. I do it online logged in to my account. No problem. They have lots of decent phone for under 70 bucks, and you can bring your unlocked phone. They have the latest $500-600 phones too, but I'm more about price than bragging rights. We bought two really nice $179.99, now $149.99 phones on sale for $29.99 cyber Monday sale. We bought two as they are 4"screens and very nice Jellybean Android phones. She is using one and the other is not activated but a spare. All 3G but I hear that Verizon will soon be all 4g LTE even for ST resale service. The sale ones for her are Android running on are Verizon towers and mine is a Nokia Lumia 822 4.5" screen on AT&T running Windows phone 8.1.

It is not complicated at all. You buy your phones outright, then connect and buy one, three, or six months at a time. We have had zero problems that we could not resolve with their website, outside forums, or phone support.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Ok, all this is confusing. We currently have a t-mobile hot spot which frustrates us to no end because of all the dead spots in their coverage. But we like their prices...3 gigs for $30. We looked at Verizon but its double the price 3 gigs for $60. Walmart had straight talk hot spots with cards for pretty much the same price as t-mobile but we were not sure of their coverage.

In your opinion would it be worthwhile to use Straight talk if we move around quite a bit?

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Jim,

The short answer is just go buy this hotspot and you will have Verizon native coverage through Straight Talk. I have this model and can attest to that:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-WiFi-Mobile-HotSpot-3G/30824075

Verizon's native coverage is superior to T Mobile.

EDIT: It's 3G EVDO service, so it won't be as fast as T Mobile, but you'll get coverage in much more areas. Especially west of the Mississippi.

Dawg,

I am on hold finishing up with Straight Talk Tech support. I found they can now indeed port my ST number from ST AT&T towers to ST Verizon LTE towers! Thanks for the reminder as I heard they were but didn't know they had. They just did the access code and unlocked the CDMA side of the phone and will send me a replacement sim card for $6.99. I am so happy to get off AT&T here! And not only will I be on Verizon towers again, my Verizon service Apps will work now too. And it will get LTE speeds I am told. I don't care if they do throttle me after 3GB as my main Internet use is at home anyway on Broadband cable. That was easy. Anyone that wants a Windows 8.1 phone can get the Lumia 822 from Amazon even though it used to be a Verizon exclusive phone, you can buy it for around 90 bucks new, and activate it on Straight talk, but you do have to call. Then you join the MS windows preview group and download the update as these phones start off as Windows 8.0 phones, then when you download the update it keeps auto updating the phone from there. I log into My windows account with it and it syncs with One Drive and my other accounts. It also remembers my settings and can duplicate them when I switch over and sign in. I will of course back my data up and pics. In fact I am finished with ST and my phone is doing another major update now.

I am tickled top go back to Verizon towers!!!!!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I just got the newest update, "Denim" it is named I think, to Windows phone 8.1. Being on the advance preview means I get the updates, all of them, as soon as they are developed, not, like Android, whenever the vendor get a "Round Tuit." I hope they continue this into the new Windows phone 10 next year.

This premature, granted, as I have not yet received the Sim card, and proven it to work on Verizon with LTE speeds for the first 3GB every month yet still unlimited for the rest of the month but veeerrryyy sloooooow. However last time their customer support said it would work and it did, perfectly. That was using an exclusive Verizon GSM and CDMA dual band phone only on GSM with AT&T, and slow. And to get messaging working I had to do some undocumented tweaks that made it a Verizon exclusive Windows 8/8.1 phone, running on AT&T GSM towers, through ST! Now it will be a Verizon phone on Verizon towers.

As to the folks complaining about furriners on the tech support lines, I get Filipinos, and Indians with Dell and Microsoft. Acer and Lenovo have a variety including Chinese native speakers. If you want to blame anybody, go to the nearest mirror and start pointing fingers. The very folks that defend anything they view as capitalism at its finest, and that no regulation is good, etc. are the same folks that support no regulation for offshoring money for taxes, and offshoring customer support, instead of Americans. Duh.

I rarely have difficulty understanding the customer support reps at any of them, ST is no different. I have only been with ST for about two years and they have really improved wait times and the quality of their phone in Tech support. Most of the changes I can do online with our accounts. My SH's phone was an new Android phone which she kept because of Verizon as she works all over the three state area. She had AT&T and fought no and low signal strengths the whole time. I finally got her to join me on ST with Older Galaxy smartphones on Verizon towers. She and I loved it but I jumped to Windows as soon as I found a superior Lumia with both a great camera, and a micro SD card slot. I just upgraded her Galaxy to a much newer phone that was on sale for $29.99 and she is thrilled with it. I bought two incase I wanted to go back to Android/Verizon from Windows phone 8.1/AT&T, because the terrible AT&T coverage here is maddening.

Now if it all works as expected, I will have my Quality Lumia Windows Phone and service on Verizon towers again and added speed of LTE I never had before. A few folks here locally asked why I did not get the Huawei Windows phone they offered for a while on ST. I did not because it was a poorly rated cheap phone AND only on AT&T.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Jim,

The short answer is just go buy this hotspot and you will have Verizon native coverage through Straight Talk. I have this model and can attest to that:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-WiFi-Mobile-HotSpot-3G/30824075

Verizon's native coverage is superior to T Mobile.

EDIT: It's 3G EVDO service, so it won't be as fast as T Mobile, but you'll get coverage in much more areas. Especially west of the Mississippi.

Straight Talk also has a 4G hotspot on Verizon:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-ZTE-288C-LTE-Hotspot/39443644

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

The Verizon LTE on reseller phones is not them being grandiose. They are provisioning their towers so that they handle only LTE which in effect gives them back for LTE all the equipment memory and storage that was 3g Dedicated. And they can focus on LTE tech improvements because folks, 5G is already being deployed in testing labs. Let's also not forget the Whitespace auctions.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On Verizon 4G, don't forget that in some areas that is all Verizon has. Verizon is not allowed to have 3G towers in all places, but has a national license for 4G/LTE. Two areas I know they have 4G only towers are SW Washington state (Long Beach, Raymond) and around Hagerstown MD. Just check their coverage maps.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I got the CDMA Sim card yesterday afternoon after a morning surgery to put a tube in my eardrum. General anesthesia, but day surgery. I'm lazing about today but I'll take all my data off in the next couple of days. Then provision the new Sim card with the help of the phone tech support.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Update: I finally got around to swapping out the Sim card from the AT&T one on GSM. to the now legal Verizon LTE Sim on the CDMA side of the card. I am now back to three bars out here in the boonies where with AT&T it was one bar, even when my wife had a contract with AT&T I finally talked her out of. So this does work, but it still took the Straight talk customer support a couple of hours to get it working from their end. Apparently the first guy messed it up. I do not care, it works, and I now have a Verizon LTE phone, the Nokia Lumia 822 Windows phone, with 64GB micro SDXC card, working via Straight Talk. Cost for the new Sim card without minutes because we already have another two months on it, was 6 bucks. I am a happy camper and can now verify that at least one Nokia Lumia Windows Phone does indeed work on Verizon towers using Straight Talk unlimited that does throttle users down after the first 3GB.

If anyone has a Verizon phone that is LTE they may be able to bring them over and have LTE. You have to call Straight Talk first though to find out if the phone you want to bring over is compatible with Straight Talk. Mine was.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I am confused. Verizon was a CDMA carrier. From the thread I guess they are upgrading to GSM 4G. Do they have enough GSM distributed across the country to support our travels? or do they somehow take our GSM stuff(hot spot) and convert it to CDMA so we have access throughout the country.

Archived