$1000 fine for fueling at the wrong pump

10ponies

Yesterday I was fueling my toterhome at the Quick Trip truck stop on 51 Ave and I-10 in Phoenix. I was at the pumps marked "autos". I went into put down my card and the attendant told me I was at the wrong pump. I told her I am a registered RV. She said OK and off I went and started fueling.

Shortly thereafter two plain cloths DOT cops walked up and asked to see all my paperwork. They were very nice about it and explained that RV status in Arizona has nothing to do with which fuel(and therefore fuel tax) you are supposed to use. It only has to do with rated weight and number of axles. They then took me over to the pump where the fine print on a tiny little sticker explained that, auto diesel was not to be used in any vehicle over 26,000 pounds OR three or more axles.

They then said they were sorry but fuel monitoring was their only responsibility and they had to write me a ticket even though they knew I wasn't trying to avoid a tax.

They also stated that Arizona was the only state to have this law.

While I was there they also nailed a large 3 axle class A RV.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you want to fuel with the small nozzle at the car islands anyway?

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Bummer :(

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Ouch!!! :(

Kind’a steep considering your non-commercial. I mean I could understand 1000big ones for a commercially registered/run truck, but a $1000 for a personal vehicle/RV? That's taking the mickey a bit...

2006 Peterbilt 387 - aka "Pete"
2012 Custom 53' 5th Wheel - aka "Moya"

2012 Honda CBR1000RR

2009 Harley Davidson VRSCDX Night Rod Special

2013 Subaru WRX

cd084.jpg

Fulltimers. Follow us at: http://blacktop4.com

Why would you want to fuel with the small nozzle at the car islands anyway?

The reason we use the car island is because our credit card gives 5% back if used at the island. If used inside, like is required when using the "big" pumps, there is no rebate. I will use the slower pump to get 5% off!

Walker & Evelyn

2009 Volvo 780 I-Shift; 2011 38LK HitchHiker; 2011 Smart

Wow, I just looked this up and the difference in fuel tax is an extra 8cents per gallon just because of your vehicles weight and/or number of axles. I know my truck holds enough fuel that I can totally skip fueling anywhere in Arizona.....ever.

10ponies, what state is your truck registered in?

The Arizona tax on gasoline (motor vehicle fuel) is 18¢ per gallon. Use fuel (diesel) is taxed at two rates in Arizona.
  • If the use fuel is used in the propulsion of a use class motor vehicle on a highway in this state, the tax rate is 26¢ for each gallon.
    • A "use class motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle that uses use fuel on a highway in this state and that is a road tractor, truck tractor, truck or passenger carrying vehicle having a declared gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds or having more than two axles.
  • If the use fuel is used in the propulsion of a light class motor vehicle (such as a pickup truck) or an exempt vehicle (certain school buses, government and non-profit vehicles, see 28-5432.C) on a highway in this state, the use fuel is taxed at the same rate per gallon as the motor vehicle fuel tax (18¢ per gallon).

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I sent this one on to SKP HQ for them to look into, if AZ is going to be doing this folks in general and particularly ones coming to the AZ Escapade need warned.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

This has been around for quite a while. If you stop at a truck stop's RV pumps (e.g. FlyingJ, Love's), that same sticker will be there. To be legal (according to the sticker), you have to go over to the truck islands. Of course, when you do, the price is $0.08/gal higher than the sign you saw from the highway.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

I wonder how old is this money grabbing scheme. Large pusher motorhomes with a 3rd axle get tagged?

Now this is GVWR and not GCWR?

Nothing like trying to help the tourist industry.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Some of the truck stops would refund the extra tax when they saw the "Private RV" sticker. In fact many volunteered to rebate the higher tax. To try and decipher this I called the AZ number to report fuel violations. An enforcement officer called me back and said he didn't know if the law included RV's. In any case he said they were after commercial violators and were busy enough with that. He said enforcement against RV's was beyond what they had time for. If this law is so confusing how is a visitor to know? I visit AZ but I will buy fuel elsewhere.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I wonder what they would do with all the Canadian "snow birds" with two axle vehicles registered as a "motorhome" (no declared weight) if registered as a motorhome? This is the way my two axle Volvo VNL 730 no declared weight is registered. I also fill up at car/RV pumps here and get about $100.00 in food store coupons per fill up. Slower but worth the $100.00.

With me living in Arizona I am aware of this and react accordingly. As far as getting refunded the tax if the station does so volunteerly(?) it is great if not. You have to write a letter and who know when or how long it would take to get a refund. Yep that sticker is on all the pumps. I am surprised anyone was nailed but like anything else a LEO or other they can use their own discretion and you have a few a$$'s. It appears 10ponies ran into a couple!!!!!! There has got to be 1000's of RVers in violation of this law regularly and this is the first time I have heard of it. It is certainly disappointing. :(:angry:

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

I always go thru the Truckers side for Fuel. Never thru the auto side. too long to mess with the tight turns in and out of those

auto islands (14' tail swing on my 5er)

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Another example of how we have so many laws we're all violating one or two daily. I forget which movie, but it takes place in MA and at one point the actor says, "Everything is illegal in Massachusetts".

So sorry you got stung like that; that's an extremely hefty fine for something that appears so innocuous and would be so easy to do by mistake or by not knowing the peculiar rules in AZ. A lot like a speed trap!

2007 NuWa Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

2000 Volvo VNL64T770 with TrailerSaver hitch, wooden flat bed, Detroit 12.7L S60, 10-sp AutoShift, still tandem

Not the only state, sort of. In Indiana, fill at the RV / car pumps if you can get in. The truck pumps are higher (IFTA). Or, don't fill in Indiana.

Going south / west. I hit Ohio and then St. Louis (MO). Sort of like 5'er, If I fill in Albuquerque, pass through Las Vegas, I ought to be looking for fuel in Eugene, OR and still have a 750 mile cushion.

Not true for Indiana. I live in Indiana. The OTR truck fuel price signage reflects the "tax-exempt" price(what you see from the highway) and is always lower than auto-fuel price, the auto-fuel island price includes all state and federal taxes.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The Arizona law is weight related, not number of axles. Any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or higher is required to pay the taxes. I stopped at a station in Flagstaff two weeks ago to fill up in the truck lanes. When I went in to get the pump started, the attendant wanted my tag number so that she could give me the .08 cents per gallon on the spot. I am over 26,001 GVW, but didn't question her. Got my discount and left. I always use the truck lanes, to avoid a 20 minute fillup. .08 per gallon on a 60 -80- gallon fillup is not worth the wait!

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

The sticker on the pump definitely says that the lower tax rate only applies for vehicles less than 26,001 lbs and having no more than 2 axles.

That said, these might be useful:

28-5606 Imposition of motor fuel taxes

28-5432 Gross weight fees

28-5201 CMV definition

28-5614 Refunds

As I read these, a motorhome would be a "use class" vehicle if it's either more than 26,000 lbs or has 3 or more axles. However, a motorhome would not be subject to a gross weight fee if not used commercially, which would mean that the additional tax wouldn't apply. I would go so far as to argue that even if the motorhome wasn't exempt for being non-commercial, it would not be subject to the additional fuel tax because it isn't assessed the gross weight fee as a result of being registered out of state.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

The Arizona law is weight related, not number of axles. Any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or higher is required to pay the taxes. I stopped at a station in Flagstaff two weeks ago to fill up in the truck lanes. When I went in to get the pump started, the attendant wanted my tag number so that she could give me the .08 cents per gallon on the spot. I am over 26,001 GVW, but didn't question her. Got my discount and left. I always use the truck lanes, to avoid a 20 minute fillup. .08 per gallon on a 60 -80- gallon fillup is not worth the wait!

The law plainly says "has 3 axles or more" and while .08 cents on a 60-80- gallon fill up isn't worth much to you, .08 cents on a 300 gallon fill up for me means that I fill up and drive clear across your state without re-fueling. I left Houston with full tanks and I am in Nebraska with just under half a tank. I'm betting I can make it across Arizona and back without needing to spend the extra $24. I'd rather spend that buying my dogs a steak dinner than pay extra because my truck, which only weighs 16,000 lbs, has a GVWR of 52,000.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

The law plainly says "has 3 axles or more" and while .08 cents on a 60-80- gallon fill up isn't worth much to you, .08 cents on a 300 gallon fill up for me means that I fill up and drive clear across your state without re-fueling.

Yep. Not to mention that at least a few of the neighboring states (and Mexico) usually have lower prices.

I have an RV card from pilot/Flying J that allows me to turn on the pump in the the truck lane and get the the RV price when I go inside to pay.

I have never calculated the exact price to be sure but that is the reason for the card. Very convenient to be able to turn on the pump without going inside to give up my card.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

The law plainly says "has 3 axles or more" and while .08 cents on a 60-80- gallon fill up isn't worth much to you, .08 cents on a 300 gallon fill up for me means that I fill up and drive clear across your state without re-fueling. I left Houston with full tanks and I am in Nebraska with just under half a tank. I'm betting I can make it across Arizona and back without needing to spend the extra $24. I'd rather spend that buying my dogs a steak dinner than pay extra because my truck, which only weighs 16,000 lbs, has a GVWR of 52,000.

Fuel-Tax Rates in Arizona

The Arizona tax on gasoline (motor vehicle fuel) is 18¢ per gallon. Use fuel (diesel) is taxed at two rates in Arizona.

• If the use fuel is used in the propulsion of a use class motor vehicle on a highway in this state, the tax rate is 26¢ for each gallon.
    • A "use class motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle that uses use fuel on a highway in this state and that is a road tractor, truck tractor, truck or passenger carrying vehicle having a declared gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds or having more than two axles.
  • If the use fuel is used in the propulsion of a light class motor vehicle (such as a pickup truck) or an exempt vehicle (certain school buses, government and non-profit vehicles, see 28-5432.C) on a highway in this state, the use fuel is taxed at the same rate per gallon as the motor vehicle fuel tax (18¢ per gallon). (See 28-5601, 5605, 5606.)

This text is copied from the State of Arizona's Fuel Tax Evasion Unit's web site. Please note the highlighted and enlarged operative word! You can roll the dice and take your chances. Not worth it to me.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Archived