ORFranP86

Full timers who do you use for insurance?

We use National Interstate for our full time insurance. Since I've not had any claims I really can't say how good or responsive they are.

This has been discussed at great length over the last several years and the options may have changed. There are a number of viable options.

We needed coverage for our HDT and 5ver in 2013 and looked at Blue Sky, Farm and City, American Adventure, and another one that I don't remember the name of right now. We also contacted Progressive (who supplies our auto and motorcycle coverage) and were told HDT tandem tractor coverage and full-timer coverage were not available. Our policy had previously been through Grange Mutual but was expensive and restrictive. Our local agent did some legwork for us and said Progressive supplied full-time coverage but it was custom written and only supplied through American Adventure Insurance. I had never heard of them but they were well rated and can supply coverage for about any type rv you want including boats, ATV's, dirtbikes, motorcycles, ultralights, etc. We had to supply pictures and VIN's and asked a lot of the questions recommended on the forum several years ago. I thought the bill would come from AAI but it does say Progressive on it. We have had no claims so I can't say how well it works yet. We were required to contact them and send them written notice when we went from part-time to full-time earlier this year. If I remember right, the cost went up about $200/yr total for the tractor and trailer. The contact info is listed below....Estelle was my initial contact point and quote generator.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out and who you go with.

Estelle Hunt: (888) 930-3680 x460; Estelle@americanadventureinsurance.com
Kim Coon: 888-930-3680 Ext. 463; kim@aaihelp.com
Kim Castro
Office Manager
kim@americanadventureinsurance.com
805-409-3042 Direct
888-930-3680 Office
866-400-8767 Fax

For those with Progressive be aware that even their 'full timers' comprehensive' coverage will NOT cover things like bikes or satellite dishes if they are damaged or stolen UNLESS they are INSIDE your rv when the damage occurs.

Who amongst us keep their bikes INSIDE the rig when at an rv park?!

My truck was stolen and stripped, none of my belongings were covered because they were inside the truck, not the rig. If the truck was hauling the rig it might be covered, I never did get a straight answer about that.

Keep in mind, if you get a true "Fulltimers" policy, its a combination of Vehicle and Homeowner type coverages. so yes, it costs more than the typical vehicle only policy

We just graduated to full time, and found our insurance seems really high.

Thanks for the discussion on a very important topic for all of us. It is so hard to get a straight answer to questions. So many insurance agents have no idea about our lifestyle.

Safe Travels!

Somebody at National Interstate, surely sitting at a bar scribbling on a napkin, decided to see if I would renew my full-time policy with a 44% increase.  Yes 44%.  Answer is no way.  Will be shopping for a new company first week in April.

When you find one, be certain to share. I am currently paying more for less coverage than when my RV was new. Surely we have a member with insurance experience that could get a company interested in writing GOOD RV coverage??

Safe Travels!

I just recently changed insurance and went with a broker. Wound up with Progressive and for full timer insurance on my little trailer is $272 per year and that even includes insurance on a storage unit. I am planning on replacing my trailer soon, so I will see how that impacts the premium.

Is there anyone that may have a good connection to a RV Insurance Company that could help design a plan that could/would protect our RV interests.

Safe Travels!

We use FCIS like Jack. Have our policy with Allied, FCIS says it is a very good policy. I have nothing to compare to since we have never, in 40 years, had any sort of a claim.

Hi guys. I am a full timer. I received a message from Allied today that my insurance is up to $1508. It was last period $12xx. Up $300 or so. Two years ago it was $13xx and after having an accident which was clearly not my fault, it had dropped $100. Go figure? Anyhow, tomorrow I will be calling the insurance company. I have a gut feeling I will be changing insurance companies.  Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.  Louie

I have used national general insurance form Good Sam since 1988! A few comprehensive claims and not much if any increases!

We use FCIS like Jack. Have our policy with Allied, FCIS says it is a very good policy. I have nothing to compare to since we have never, in 40 years, had any sort of a claim.

Hi guys. First let me thank you for your responses. I got in touch with FCIS. The gentleman came back with a number of $1191 apples to apples with National General. I can live with that. It looks like that is the direction I will be going.  Again, thank you.  Louie