Alternative Resources is moving...

Great news! Escapees Mail Service has finalized the arrangements for its newest mail satellite center in South Dakota. It will be located just outside of Rapid City in the small community of Box Elder. A Club News bulletin is scheduled for next week, but since you asked—we wanted to give you the latest news without making you wait. Information will be available on the website by the end of the week, but you are welcome to contact us at 1-888-757-2582 if you are interested.

Escapees satellite service centers in Florida and South Dakota are specifically geared for full-time RVers who have sold their brick and mortar homes and no longer have an allegiance to a specific state. These two additional home-base options mesh perfectly with our very sophisticated mail distribution center in Livingston, Texas.

It works very easily. As an Escapees Mail Service member you can elect to setup domicile in South Dakota or Florida and use our satellite service address for your state specific mail. This mail is securely packaged and sent to Livingston to be processed (along with your general mail) according to your personal instructions. There is no additional fee for this service, other than postage. Members will have the advantage of our experienced and friendly staff, completely flexible mailing schedules, scanning services, and all the other bells and whistles that the Escapees Mail Service in the Livingston facility provides—not to mention the lowest rates in the country!

It does mean you will have two different addresses, one for all your general correspondence and one for state specific mail, but there is an added advantage to that. If you ever move for personal reasons, or state regulations create undue hardships, Escapees satellite service allows you to change your domicile without alerting your entire list of correspondences! Remember, the Texas facility has been in place for more than 30 years—we aren’t moving anywhere.

So, if you’re looking for a solution to your mail forwarding and domicile needs, give us a call and we’ll see if we can help.

Sherri Burks

General Manager

Escapees RV Club

1 888 757-2582

Hi Sherri

Please expand on the term "state specific". Does this mean only mail from within SD? Will Livingston still be the "legal" home of record for income tax, voting, registration of vehicles etc?

We are lifetime members of SKP and about 15 year users of Livingston Mail services, very happy with the service and have no plans to change, I DON'T THINK.

Dave O

Hi Dave,

The term "state specific" mail refers to any legal documents that pertain to your legal/domicile/residency needs. If Texas is your legal domicile, and you are happy with that, then the South Dakota satellite service would serve no purpose for you. Make sense? We really appreciate your comments and we are very happy to hear that you have been happy with the service over the years!

Big SKP Hugs,

Cathie

Thanks Cathy for joining in! Nothing like getting your information from the top. :D

Dave, if I could expand just a little on the term "state specific" as I have done a lot of research regarding domicile and had legal council review and advise me in that effort, I'd suggest that it means any legal documents. You normally pay your income taxes via an address of your domicile because of the connection to state taxes. Since none of these states have an income tax it probably isn't critical, but in the unlikely event that you were ever challenged in court over your domicile, that could be a point in favor, or against. The word domicile is a legal term of the courts and is found in very few state laws. Court rulings are typically made based upon the total accumulation of all activities that you do which might point to where you actually have your home. They have been known to consider things like any type of business transaction or financial transaction, newspaper subscriptions, locations of long term doctor or professional relationships, and pretty much anything that a person in a stick house does that is typically connected to a community that he lives in. There are no specific things other than service of legal documents that must always be part of a domicile but if you should ever be challenged, the more things done at domicile location, the better your legal standing would be.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I would imagine that all financial, drivers license and vehicle plates, social security, pension, medical and life insurance, tax, and legal documentation would have to use the SD address for those of us who have SD residency. In checking the Escapee website it looks like there will be a $1 charge for each document sent from SD to Livingston plus the standard Escapee mail forwarding charges. At a buck a document that could add up quickly. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

As a full-time RVer, there are a couple of key things to remember when questioned about your "address." When filling out your legal documents, in many cases you have the opportunity to list your legal "permanent/domicile" address but also include a separate "mailing address." As an example, you would want to use your legal physical (domicile) address for you voter registration card, driver's license, and vehicle tags. On the other hand, your insurance, investments and banks should accept both a permanent address and a "mailing address." By remaining mindful of which address is used for which purpose, the $1 per mail-piece shouldn't come into play more than a couple times a year.

I spent a couple of years in a domicile limbo. We maintained our domicile in NY because we still had a S&B there as well as other ties that were difficult to shed. We were using Escapee Mail for ALL our mail for 3 years. This required interesting conversations with insurance carriers, especially health ins as they did not want to mail to TX for NY policies. I could not have them mail to the NY address as there was no one there to send the mail on. Voting was another tangle as I had to go to the election commission and show them proof of residence in the State and County to get my voting card.

Two years ago we changed it all to TX. The address had been in place for 3 years and most of the "players" were more than happy to shift us to Texas policies and voting. Two items got caught in the tangle, Apartment renters Ins for the place in Rochester was easy because the situs is in NY. The other is our Nexus Border crossing cards. Every time we go to Canada and show our commuter cards the Customs guys want to know about the Texas license plates and we have to explain, costs us 45 seconds at the border.

I might look at Florida now only because they are even more lenient about vehicle inspection than TX, but TX is not a major issue for us as we have to drive through it every year as we migrate between our families in VA and CA so we stop in Livingston to pick up the mail for free for a couple of weeks.

'12 Phaeton 36 QSH hauling '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon 4 down. Follow our travels Click here

Archived