Elio Motors

RV_

Elio Motors Becomes First Start-up Vehicle Manufacturer in 60 Years to Build Engine From the Ground up; Engine to Debut at Media Event Feb. 6!

Pictures here:

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=f4f2d3f0b0&e=2b2ef1812b

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elio Motors Shows Off its Engine, For Realsies:

Excerpt:

"Elio Motors took the wraps off the production version of its new car/trike engine earlier today. And, despite what many of the companies early nay-sayers and detractors (myself, included!) had anticipated, the thing looks like an actual, usable, for-real car engine!

That Elio’s engine looks the part should come as no surprise, given that it was designed by IAV. IAV, while hardly a household name, is known in industry circles as a top-shelf supplier to companies like Chrysler, Volkswagen, BMW’s legendary “M” high-performance/racing division, and as key OE suppliers and consultants to the 1000+ horsepower, 18 cylinder, quad-turbocharged, 250+ MPH Bugatti Veyron super-duper-hypercar.

Now, a few of our more cynical readers might point out that our criticism of Elio has mellowed somewhat since he started paying some of the bills around here, but the fact is that- while I’m not yet a believer in the idea that Americans will buy a three wheeled motorcycle in any type of significant numbers, I have to say that my talks with Paul Elio have evolved to the point where I think his plan- centered, as it is, on government-subsidized loans and a clever interpretation of upcoming CAFE standards- is pretty clever.

Regardless of what you think of the man or his plan, however, you’ve got to hand it to Elio: this engine is a legit piece. You can learn more about it by checking out the photos, and the company’s official press release, below. Enjoy!"

The pics of the engine and all the details are in the rest of the press release here: http://gas2.org/2015/01/15/elio-motors-shows-off-engine-realsies/

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Production of the much anticipated three-wheeled Elio has been pushed back again — this time until the first half of 2016.

Paul Elio, CEO and founder of Elio Motors, made the announcement Thursday during Caddo Parish Commissioner Ken Epperson's district meeting at the American Rose Center. Elio again blamed production delays on lack of funding.

"We are going to slip the date. That's the bad news of the year," Elio said. "You have the things that are outside of your control that you have to predict, and it turns out my crystal ball was cracked. My prediction was wrong."

After the meeting, Elio said he's raised more than $65 million in capital so far, but he needs $230 million more to begin production.

Developer Stuart Lichter, who's leasing space in the old General Motors Plant to Elio Motors, said he is a firm believer in the start-up automaker, but Elio Motors will not meet the 2015 deadline to reserve its space in the plant as outlined in their contract.

"I'm a real great believer in the car, and I'm also a real great believer in what it would socially do for the economic impact on people who need a low-cost vehicle of quality," Lichter said. "I'm really committed to doing everything I can to get this car into production. But, at the same time, we have a facility. We have investors that we have to be responsible to so I can only go so far."

The rest of the article with more is here from the Shreveport Times: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/money/business/2015/01/16/production-wheel-elio-delayed/21849385/v

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

:(

Elio said he's raised more than $65 million in capital so far, but he needs $230 million more to begin production.

May be 2020 or after before that happens. And he may lose the factory this year. :(

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

True that. Something tells me that he might not. That just from reading that the local folks were not going to offer an extension but apparently he showed them something we haven't seen and the local council members said they believe he can keep his most recent promises. I don't know what that might be, but I can't help, just wait and see. Kind of reminds of the doldrums waiting for Tesla to cycle up from the old 30-50-22.50-60-22.50 first three years of watching Tesla roller-coaster like the last few weeks. But I may just have a very expensive T-Shirt. It ain't over till it's over, or the fat lady sings, whichever comes first. I should think the big oil guys would be helping so they have some fuel buyers in 2020! (Just kidding! That will take another ten years!)

BTW, I got a trade from a totaled HHR that had the Alloy HHR 17" wheels on it. Mine had the 16" steel wheels and plastic hubcaps. I had to buy lunch for the group that worked for the owner for 56 bucks. It was a body shop and they buffed out the rims and I took the tires too as they were lower profile and as new as mine were. I never thought about the pressure sending units in the valve stems and a few miles later I saw an error and a message to service the pressure sending units. OK there went another whatever $$. I called Chevyland here in S'Port and was told no sweat, just bring it in and they will program them free with little to no wait. Seems they all have to be set for each car or they'd read the car in the next lane's tire pressures! I am beginning to like Chevy cars.

For my trucks, well . . . . .

cumminsdecal_zps8d17e21a.jpg

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 1 month later...

Can Elio Achieve $6,800 MSRP?

Excerpt:

" Today we are going to spice up the day with a topic that is important to us and our fans and seems to have a few people flummoxed as to the logic and communication behind it. That topic is our $6,800* retail selling price.

First, we have set four targets, called “must haves” that drive the entire Elio project: 84 MPG highway, $6,800, Safe, and made in America. These are the guiding principles for the Elio. Any time we talk about modifying a part or adding something to the Elio, the part has to fit in these four criteria. Does everything fit into these criteria, no, so those items go into a “bubble list” for future consideration or straight to the options list. The final decision always must come back to whether it meets these four criteria.

We have communicated the must haves from the inception of Elio Motors and have openly brought you along for the journey.

Most people realize that it is rare for an existing automotive manufacturer to discuss pricing on a new model, much less a start-up company revealing the price of a new vehicle at an early stage – but we are different. We focus on transparency in our communications with our fans and future owners. Our $6,800 retail price was based on a thorough cost and pricing evaluation that involved hundreds of knowledgeable folks that have deep understanding of vehicle engineering, design, supply and manufacturing. We have discussed how the low price is possible on a well-equipped vehicle (power windows and door lock, AM/FM stereo, heating and A/C, ABS, traction control etc.) in a number of interviews and articles as well as our website.

Here are the highlights:

•Less “Stuff” – We are half as wide as a car which leads to less material. At +/- 1250 lbs. we are roughly half the weight of a passenger car. Simply: Less costs less. There are also other advantages of less being more in: one door versus four, three wheels versus four (tire, suspension, braking system) etc.

•Re-engineering existing parts for maximum efficiency.

•Our business model – 2 transmissions and 7 colors is what we will produce at our Shreveport plant. Simple, high volume manufacturing to drive down price and inventory."

The rest of the article is here:,http://www.eliomotors.com/can-elio-achieve-6800-msrp/?utm_campaign=Blog+Email+RSS&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=16289555&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--UUZUqS2DJRRG2g6izU8pdvwBlB6v_T1-F5sZHj3eMsXrmLZKdYSRYXluhO09VFbcG6NE979yjb2QSf4WryfFkgLUpcQ&_hsmi=16289555

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Interesting.

I will point out that in an interview I read that Paul did say two new things that I had not heard in the past. 1) that they currently are not hitting the 6800 goal. They are close, though, so I'm not worried about it. Even if they miss by $1000 it will work for me. (they also said that in this blog post - first time I have seen it repeated) 2) they also are off of the 84 mpg. But again, close. On a new engine that is not surprising. I'd also be happy if they get close to the 84. Actually, I'd buy it if they hit under 7500/over 70 mpg hwy. Assuming it is a car that otherwise drives good and is stable.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Yep we both said that from the beginning of this thread here : http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=112263&p=713234 . Like horseshoes and hand grenades, close, in this case, is good enough.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 weeks later...

For another company I backed that was called vaporware, as with the other, this one is materializing right before our eyes. This past week included an update on their safety engineering. But for me seeing the newly designed and built engine running was pretty exciting for a dull video to the non fanatics.

Excerpt:

"The second announcement was a press release about the the engine. Yep, the engine. This morning we released the video of the new Elio Motors engine on the dynamometer! The Elio team loved watching and hearing the engine for the first time. We are very excited for you to see the engine in action. This new 0.9 liter, 3-cylinder engine prototype completes one of our most important stages of development. Click here to see and hear it run."

Click on this link for links to the video of the engine running: http://www.eliomotors.com/icymi-another-good-week/?utm_campaign=Three+Wheel+Blog&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=16439495&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_1AQKWFLDy-bKbfP6bR1k1f6ErHljyRc8Q-hUQGqiX6RsMVLj4bL6elGD5r7Wyn4FjEWmcyI0Xhqik2IttsLjc4iJXOA&_hsmi=16439495

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 10 months later...

Wow! Looks real now! Here is a news story from this month and the production is scheduled for later this year. However they have financial backing, investor opportunities, and I now think I will see them starting up! Will they succeed? Who knows but I think so. However I will go to the factory and pay cash for one of the first if possible.

here's the local TV news report: http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/news/elio-motors-is-crossing-over-from-the-prototype-phase-to-an-engineered-vehicle-thanks-to-stock-sales

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 3 weeks later...

Elio Motors is launching TV ads now. Here are the Automoblog.com article excerpts, and the link to the article page containing the video of the TV commercial; It does not auto run so the article can be read by the data challenged without worry.

Excerpt:

"Startup automaker Elio Motors launched its first television campaign recently. The 30 and 60 second spots feature Founder Paul Elio in an optimistic appeal to alter the course of transportation. Viewers are gradually brought around a corner, in an elderly warehouse, where the car stands under a white sheet. It sits in contrast to the gritty industrial setting as it’s gradually revealed.

Mr. Elio provides his sincere, somber voice.

Building a new car is a complex undertaking, particularly when tackling it in conjunction with the company’s unique social, environmental, and buy-American mission. It’s a heavy task and its gravity is conveyed in the spots. The commercials also hit on the car’s value proposition. For example, its efficiency and 84 mile per gallon fuel economy, highlighted by its American origin and potential to impact the future of transportation."

The whole article and video is here: http://www.automoblog.net/2016/02/04/elio-motors-launches-television-campaign/

I'll take pics at the local factory here in Shreveport if they indeed crank up production. I may get more than just a T-Shirt for my $100.00 reservation!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 1 month later...

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

They are saying 2017 one minute then late 2016 because they have to start hiring by a deadline or lost their facility. IN their favor is that there are no competitors to get it. This year is their spit-or-get-off-the-pot year. I am much more optimistic, but not ready to say they are actually going into production yet.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I hope I don't regret this but I find that they will have a booth or showing at the FCMA event in Perry, GA soon. I am a little less than two hours away and hope to make it up for a day and see one up close and personal.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Earlier today, Elio Motors made a big free-agent signing of its own, adding Roush as the lead engineering partner.

Roush, which has worked with nearly every major automaker in the world, will help streamline Elio Motors’ vehicle-development process by providing engineering, testing, prototyping and assembly support under one roof.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Good info!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I don't know if they will make it or not. Which is why I'm not an "early" buyer (reserved slot). I don't want the first set of them anyway-I'd rather they work out any issues.

Their process has been educational it you follow it. And it is a daunting task, bringing a new car to market.

I like what I see and will own one if they ever get it to market. In the meantime, I'm cheering them on..... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I'm of the same mind Jack. I agree on reading the blog as the steps to custom build the engine, and by who, all were like state secrets until now, is very interesting. I will buy one of the first since I live next door to the factory, figuratively speaking, and can take it in and leave then pick it up for any recalls. Pep Boys nationwide are their factory service centers and we have those too here.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 weeks later...

I am now able to say I have seen, touched and even sat in the Elio. Took a trip from Tallahassee, FL. to Perry, GA today just to do exactly that. Fabulous day for a long motorcycle ride about 2 1/2 hours each way. When I arrived and paid the admission fee the clerk reported that most of the arrivals today had also asked for the location of the Elio, so I sort of expected to have to stand in line to even get a glimpse. Not the case. There were several folks milling about around it and it was initially difficult to really get a clear view but the people seemed to see what they wanted and then allow others in to see. Guess you could tell it was mostly an RV crowd, every one was respectful of the other person.

I took several photos but am waiting on my S3 to recharge before trying to send the photos. I must have left the wifi on or something it was nearly dead when I got home. Will post a link later if the pics are any good. It looked much like I expected. There are some fit and finish items that I am sure will look different in the completed commercial model and hopefully a few other things addressed. Most of the people who ventured into the back seat requested some sort of a hand hold to assist with getting out. One for the driver would be a good idea too. The Rep. said it was like getting in and out of a Mustang or Camero. He's probably correct but I haven't been in one of those for a while.

Am I going to invest by putting my name on the list to have one of the first 100000, no I don't think so. I will wait until they come out in production and then find out how to get a used one. I think it will be worth the wait.

Rod

https://goo.gl/photos/WPedV9zP1aoCL6B4A

Photo link above.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Great Pics Rod! Thanks.

I have an unworn Elio motors shirt that I got for my $100.00 line number placeholder. I haven't been near one as I found out about the local display last month the day after they left! And I live two town lines over from Shreveport where they will be building them. So I was saving the shirt without washing so it would be worn for my first ride. Wife washed it for no reason. It fir me when I got it two years ago, guess that 15 pounds I gained waiting are going to make it the wife's after she shrunk it. Grrrr.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Rod, did you notice what the gauge at the lower left of the first engine pic was for? I can't make it out... And thanks for the pics!

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Rod, did you notice what the gauge at the lower left of the first engine pic was for? I can't make it out... And thanks for the pics!

The gauge in the engine compartment was marked fuel Gauge. I didn't ask if it was going to stay there, I just assume it isn't. . RV, there was a guy with #775 or something on his TShirt. It was a little tight for him too.

2007 Honda GL 1800

Archived