Loved RV experience, thinking of full timing, what do you think about Fleetwood Bounder as a quality vehicle?

usaperuvian

Jim & Bill thanks for the input. I really was interested in how it would handle so the W 33 C should be the same.

Joani & Alberto, 1999 Rexhall Rexair 3550

We named our RV Our Casita and got personalized Idaho license plates "RCASITA" because it is our little house in spanish,

Our two dogs always travel with us, Badger 12 years old & Sheba 6 years old

We recommend you rent a coach for at least a week to live in and find out what is really important to YOU! We don't agree with some of the comments about what is lacking in "newer Rv's", but that is US-not you.

We have used a convection/microwave and two burner stove exclusively for over 15 years of full timing without any problems or desires for something else. This is US as I said above.

Many if not most of us buy an RV, and IF we decide to go full or extended time after a couple of years, we get another one that meets our NEW and adjusted wants.

Dave O

You all are great for feedback and I am continuing to learn. As me and my husband learn more our priorities may change but that's okay too. For us we would rather change our mind before our next large purchase.

Joani & Alberto, 1999 Rexhall Rexair 3550

We named our RV Our Casita and got personalized Idaho license plates "RCASITA" because it is our little house in spanish,

Our two dogs always travel with us, Badger 12 years old & Sheba 6 years old

We've run the gamut from tent camper to 27' motorhome to 40' motorhome to 38' 5W, and now to our first-ever-bought-new 40' 5W. Maybe it's just me, but a 42-gal black water tank sounds a little small; don't remember what our 27' motorhome tank was.

My thought is that, for the money, you get a better buy on a well-cared-for unit at least a couple years old than you do on a brand new unit. We took our time & looked at a number of units when we bought the (used) motorhomes & 5W, and found that most of the issues that come with a new coach had been ironed out before we got them.

Would I buy a good used unit again -- you bet! That's what our plan is when it's time to downsize. I can't justify the price of a new motorhome in my own mind.

Renee

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Two people can easily live for a week with a 40 gallon black tank, you could probably go two if you work at it so that isn't a deal killer. Big tanks are great if there is room and available carrying capacity but they aren't essential unless boondocking for longer periods is a key issue.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We regularly went a week or longer with a 40 gallon black tank but the gray is more of a challenge. Even when parked for long periods I only dumped the black tank once each week and have gone nearly two weeks when in a spot with no sewer connection. Our 40 gallon gray tank I used a blue-boy to empty at least weekly and that only if I used the campground's shower.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...

Before purchasing the Bounder 33C, be sure to drive it. The wheelbase-to-length ratio is only 50.6% which the RV Consumers Group (www.rv.org) rates as dangerous.

Also, check availability of the back of the motorhome when the slides are in...it looks like the couch would block access to the bathroom and bedroom.

As a Bounder 33C owner, I feel qualified to make a few comments. :)

First, I'm interested in hearing why this wheelbase is "dangerous." We have owned our 33C for nearly three years and it is a great RV. We have no problems with the wheelbase as far as handling, so I'd like to know what "danger" there is to consider. The rear overhang can be annoying on steep driveways, but other than that we have zero complaints with the wheelbase.

The bathroom is accessible with slides in, but the bed blocks access to storage in the bedroom with slides retracted. It's possible to get to all the "necessities" with the RV slides in for travel (kitchen area, bathroom, etc.) It is possible to sleep on the kingsize bed with the slides in, too.

We are not fulltime and don't ever plan to be, so I can't comment as to the full-time liveability of the 33C. It's a great floorplan for vacations, but there is not a lot of storage. Kitchen counter space is also limited. Whether the setup would work for fulltiming depends on the individual and their needs.

We enjoy the mid-ship living room and the TV being mounted across from the sofa. The fireplace is GREAT and we would not be without it. It will make the entire living area toasty with outside temps in the 40's. This allows us to use the fireplace with full hookups and save propane since we don't need to run the furnace.

We tow a Jeep Wrangler with no problem whatsoever; the Ford engine has plenty of power. We traveled all over the Rocky Mountains in the past couple of months with no concerns at all about whether our RV was up to the task. I can say that if we had it to do over, we would purchase our Bounder again. There are a LOT of very happy Bounder owners on the road, and we are counted among them.

We had a 33' 2004 Bounder for 8 years to vacation in and we were fairly happy with it. However, to go full time we got an 37' Allegro Open Road. We are happy with the additions of a 1/2 bath, larger refrigerator, ice-maker, TV across from the couch, more storage and the washer-dryer combo. Although an Allegro is rated more highly than the Bounder, we had just as many early problems with it as we did with the Bounder.

Vicki Rains

I look at things differently so here's what I see relating only to the floor plan. The only person directly facing the TV is sitting in the corner of the sofa with feet on the floor. Any other seat will likely give you a crick in the neck. The large pantry is a real bonus but you might have to put pull-put shelves in it to make it usable. The kitchen layout is one I like because there is actually counter space you can use between the stove and sink. I would always being trying to lay my spatula down on the wrong side of the stove, though. We've owned several RVs and the dining option we've liked best was the table with credenza because we could move our computers to the credenza during meals them move them back again. I'm guessing the sideways part of the sofa is one that pulls out for sitting but pushes in for traveling; we've not owned one of those but that should let you get to the main facilities while traveling. The angle of the toilet is good for tall people who need extra leg room. It looks like you will have access to one of the wardrobes when traveling; put your coats in that one. If you go for the fireplace it will probably be installed under the TV; be sure it does not intrude into the bathroom as that toilet space is already fairly narrow.

Other than that, the thing I usually recommend before deciding to buy is to spend a lot of time in the rig. Sit in what you think will be "your" seat and read manuals to see how long it stays comfortable. Kick off your shoes and take a 10 minute nap on the bed. While you have your shoes off, stand in the shower and pretend to wash both your hair and your feet--what bumps? Sit on the toilet; we've already seen my Dave would have leg room but would I have enough width? Stand in front of the microwave and pretend to take something hot out of it; did you just pour it all over yourself because the microwave is too high for you? I also mentally put stuff into cupboards, when I find myself filling the same cupboard for a third time I rethink what storage is where and will that really work for me? We wound up storing dry foods above the couch because our small pantry was already full of cans and bottles and the kitchen overhead was full of dishes, mixing bowls and measuring cups.

Once you play all those games, you will have a sense of whether or not this rig is one you can live in. Oh, and do make your spouse play some of those games, too because you will also want to know what happens when you are both inside the rig.

Linda Sand

I agree with these requirements and can address a couple of them. In the 33C, the TV is easily viewed from any seat on the L-shaped sofa, as well as from the dinette. Here's a photo of our 2012 with the sofa extension extended ... (And yes, that extension does push back in for travel or to make more room.)

f18bfb62-eae9-4ba0-8190-54273a7fa1c3_zps

As you see, the fireplace has a some built-around finish trim and it does not extend back into the bathroom in any way. According to the installation guide for the fireplace, it is only 9" deep and so does not compromise much "valuable storage space" since it is in fact not significantly deeper than the TV mounted above it. We'd much rather have the cozy fireplace than 9" shelves. Also, it does not extend into the bathroom; the bathroom wall behind the fireplace is a normal wall.

We have since replaced the L-shaped sofa with a regular full-reclining La-Z-Boy sofa since we found the original FlexSteel sofa to be a bit uncomfortable for extended trips. That was our experience, but others have no problem with the FlexSteel furnishings.

The pantry is a good size and does have pull-out shelves. (Sorry this photo is a little blurry.)

8cee4418-a444-494a-b54c-044a45ac7e23_zps

In my experience, the Bounder is not an entry level gasser, but more of a mid-level as far as build quality and bang for the buck. When we were shopping, we looked at new Class A gasser models from Newmar, Winnebago, Itasca, Coachmen, and Forest River before buying the Fleetwood. We found none of them to be superior in build quality, but a couple were definitely lower quality. We concerned ourselves with the floorplan and "liveability" for us...but again, we are not full-timers and have no plan to be. Requirements for vacations are far different than everyday living.

The 33C does have dual ducted air conditioners and one of them is a heat pump. Ours also came with an outside TV, a satellite dome, and a king-size bed (which we immediately bought a new mattress for. :lol: ) The Bounder is very well appointed IMO.

Everyone has different wants/needs, so ultimately only you can decide whether any model and features are right for you. I'm not sure that any of us can say that there is nothing we wouldn't change about our RV...seems that there are always compromises. As others have said, take the time to walk through any RV you are considering and see for yourself the fit/finish of the unit. Pull out drawers and look at the construction. Drive it to see what you think of the handling. Open every storage bay. Imagine yourself performing daily tasks, and mentally place your belongings in the available storage. Check towing and cargo weight limits.

And with that, have fun!

The problem with the 9" fire place is that in MOST installations, they stick it in a cabinet that is 18" to 24" deep and everything behind the FP is wasted.space. We had two Cameos that the FP had well over a foot of dead space behind them. When I pulled the FP, there was a beautiful full depth cabinet there to use. All I had to do was add a shelf or two and doors.

For the A/C, get an upgrade to both units as heat pumps.

Sarah, you have about 1/4 of the pantry we have. We have 14 shelves of pantry. For full time, we could not get by with so little pantry space. With the pull out pantry, you have to be careful loading it as things move around and shift. Then you can not open the pantry due to it being blocked by food that has fallen over. I can post photos of our pantry space if you would like to see it.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

The problem with the 9" fire place is that in MOST installations, they stick it in a cabinet that is 18" to 24" deep and everything behind the FP is wasted.space. We had two Cameos that the FP had well over a foot of dead space behind them. When I pulled the FP, there was a beautiful full depth cabinet there to use. All I had to do was add a shelf or two and doors.

For the A/C, get an upgrade to both units as heat pumps.

Linda, you have about 1/4 of the pantry we have. We have 14 shelves of pantry. For full time, we could not get by with so little pantry space. With the pull out pantry, you have to be careful loading it as things move around and shift. Then you can not open the pantry due to it being blocked by food that has fallen over. I can post photos of our pantry space if you would like to see it.

Ken

Well, since the OP was asking about a Bounder 33C, I thought the specific answers to her questions might help since we actually own one. Behind the Bounder 33C fireplace, there is no "wasted space."

I don't have any plans to upgrade a 2 year old a/c for a heat pump. With the fireplace heater, we don't need it. The RV is only 34' long and the existing systems work fine.

If you mean my pantry (I'm not Linda), it is more than satisfactory for our use and I have never had any difficulty with opening it due to being blocked. I make sure I pack it properly for travel. Also, there is additional storage below that pulled out section in the photo.

The OP has possibly moved on and is not interested in hearing about the Bounder 33C any longer, but I hoped my input would be helpful.

Linda, you have about 1/4 of the pantry we have. We have 14 shelves of pantry. For full time, we could not get by with so little pantry space. With the pull out pantry, you have to be careful loading it as things move around and shift. Then you can not open the pantry due to it being blocked by food that has fallen over. I can post photos of our pantry space if you would like to see it.

The cupboard I call my pantry has five shelves that hold bins I use as pullout drawers. The interior measurement of each bin is 16" x 16" x 6" but I can pack them a bit higher than that since I don't put the lids on the bins. I also have a storage cube that measures just over 12" each direction. Plus I store some paper goods in my floor to ceiling appliance cupboard. And I have a gear loft in which I store crushables like tomatoes. And a space under my fridge that holds a 12 pack of pop and a 6 pack of bottled water. And another one of those in which I store liquid cleaning products including laundry detergent and a big bottle of vinegar. I have never had an urge to buy more pantry foods than I could store.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Sarah, I was just pointing out potential issues as we have seen or experienced with various RVs. Since we are full -time, space is critical to us...the reason we upgraded to the HH Champagne a couple of months back. Much more liveable than the previous Cameo.

Yes, I think, the OP has moved on to something other than a Bounder motorhome. But still things that they need to aware of.

We have told people for years to tell the sales person to get lost and spend a couple of hours in the RV, going over exactly how you would function for meals, bathing, dressing, and where you store things. I guess you could say you are "playing house" with the RV.

Every RV has to fit the persons personal taste. All we can do is point out potential issues and where we spotted problems.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Joani and Alberto, I'm going to suggest that you take a step or two back and consider your proposed use of the RV first. How many people and how many (and what kind) pets? Will you be moving at least monthly, or will you be staying in one location for long periods of time? Do you prefer RV resorts, state/federal parks, or boondocking? Will you do any boondocking? All of these "mission profile" questions, and many more, will need to be answered by you as you pick the right coach. Don't focus in something that you happened to find in casual browsing. Generally, people who move at least monthly prefer a motorized coach, while those who stay put for longer periods prefer towables. Plan on something towing something else and you will be in a better position to make a good decision.

When you do pick the class of coach that fits your needs, you can start looking at floorplans. Find a couple that will work for you. There are only so many ways to arrange the interior of a box, so you can evaluate a floor plan without considering the price of the coach. Once you have a couple of floor plans in mind you can start looking at brands. Many, if not most, people don't get it quite right the first (or second or third) time, and buying new can get expensive. You would probably be better off buying a used coach first. If it isn't right you won't lose so much when you trade it in.

Finally, for full-time use, I would suggest that you consider only higher quality coaches. We have some friends who purchased a new popular brand coach. Within a year they realized that it didn't have the quality they wanted and traded it even-up for a 10-year-old Foretravel. Yes, they took a huge financial hit.

We spent more than a year asking questions and discussing how the answers fit us. What fits us may not fit you. The more you discuss the better your choices will be. Enjoy the research and anticipate the hunt.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

• 9 months later...

Archived