residency in South Dakota?

dorrph

From the SD DPS website I linked above:

"If you have been issued a South Dakota driver license or ID card since 12-31-09 (or an out of state driver license or ID card that is federally compliant) and you still have possession of that driver license or ID card, U.S. citizens only need to provide their federally compliant driver license or ID card and TWO PROOF of residential address no more than one year old." (emphasis added)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I'm also going to use MyDakotaAddress. I've asked a lot of questions and Teri always replied immediately. She's great!

I need to get the paperwork notarized and get it off to her. We bought our 5thwheel today but still trying to finalize the tow vehicle. The house goes up for sale soon. Our plan is to go to Northern Idaho first to visit friends, then over to SD to get our DL's. Hubby and I both have Medicare so that takes care of health insurance. My husband was doing great until today. He sold 80% of his tools that he's had for decades. He's having tool withdrawals and anxiety.

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

we are domiciled in SD in Madison. It was mentioned that health insurance could be more costly. I will say my wife and I both have a Medicare Advantage plan with Humana. Humana Choice plan that we each pay $47 a month and that includes our prescriptions via mail. They also have a way to help on over the counter drugs. Sounded good to us.

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

OK & KS now SD well sometimes

The journey is the trip not the destination.

http://2010liberty.wordpress.com/

And you don't have to present a Social Security card, all you need is a W-2 or 1099 with the same name

Semantics, I said "And the Social Security card name needs to match everything else."

I didn't say your had to have the SS Card, I said the name needs to match.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I'm also going to use MyDakotaAddress. I've asked a lot of questions and Teri always replied immediately. She's great!

I need to get the paperwork notarized and get it off to her. We bought our 5thwheel today but still trying to finalize the tow vehicle. The house goes up for sale soon. Our plan is to go to Northern Idaho first to visit friends, then over to SD to get our DL's. Hubby and I both have Medicare so that takes care of health insurance. My husband was doing great until today. He sold 80% of his tools that he's had for decades. He's having tool withdrawals and anxiety.

We have used MyDakotaAddress for eight years now, and Terri has always been wonderful! I don't think you can go wrong using them.

2014 F350 Dually Lariat 4x4
2013 Excel LTD 36RKM
Sir Reginald the cat who lets Big Mike and Jean travel with him

I believe that you will find that the rules for getting your driver's license don't vary a great deal from one state to the next since the institution of federal laws on that subject since 9/11. The fact is that our state issued driver's licenses have become a "de facto" national ID with the movement to fairly uniform rules in obtaining one. Those same rules apply to those who get a state issued ID in place of a driver's license, such as a blind person who can't be issued a driver's license. It is very difficult to do business today anywhere in the USA if you do not have a photo ID that is acceptable and most places take that as a driving license. I once offered my passport since I had it in my possession, as an ID and the person asking had never see one before and doubted it acceptability. Rather than waste time, I just showed my TX driver's license and went on my way. ;)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I once offered my passport since I had it in my possession, as an ID and the person asking had never see one before and doubted it acceptability. Rather than waste time, I just showed my TX driver's license and went on my way. ;)

That problem wasn't uncommon shortly after the Patriot Act required IDs for a number of common "life events" but I suspect that is far less likely to happen these days. Under federal law there essentially is a hierarchy of ID documents and the passport is at the top of the heap. It is both proof of identity and citizenship; a driver's license is not since citizenship was not a requirement until "federally compliant licenses" began to be issued a few years ago. Once all State licenses are "compliant" the driver's license will have many of the same ID capabilities as the passport, but, of course, you still won't be able to travel abroad with it.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Once all State licenses are "compliant" the driver's license will have many of the same ID capabilities as the passport, but, of course, you still won't be able to travel abroad with it.

Four US states and four Canadian provinces issue an "Enhanced" driver license that also serves as an alternative to a passport for land or sea entry into the US from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean, as well as a permit to drive.

Dutch

Four US states and four Canadian provinces issue an "Enhanced" driver license that also serves as an alternative to a passport for land or sea entry into the US from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean, as well as a permit to drive.

You can also get a "passport card" that you can put in your wallet and use to cross the border to Mexico or Canada or to via ship to Bermuda and other places in the Caribbean. It is not valid for air travel, however.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

You can also get a "passport card" that you can put in your wallet and use to cross the border to Mexico or Canada or to via ship to Bermuda and other places in the Caribbean. It is not valid for air travel, however.

Yes, and the card and enhanced licenses are both lower cost than a full passport. Great for those of us that no longer fly out of the country.

Dutch

I've not given up my thoughts of overseas advent

Yes, and the card and enhanced licenses are both lower cost than a full passport. Great for those of us that no longer fly out of the country.

I haven't made any determination that I'll never again fly out of the country. Furthermore, if I had only a passport card and I was in Canada I wouldn't be able to fly back to the US in an emergency. A passport isn't so large that I must have a card for convenience. If we lived near the border I'd think otherwise, but for us the regular passport is just fine.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I've not given up my thoughts of overseas advent

I haven't made any determination that I'll never again fly out of the country. Furthermore, if I had only a passport card and I was in Canada I wouldn't be able to fly back to the US in an emergency. A passport isn't so large that I must have a card for convenience. If we lived near the border I'd think otherwise, but for us the regular passport is just fine.

Obviously, the card or enhanced license won't work for everyone, but having alternatives to a full passport is handy for some of us. One advantage for my wife and I, was that getting our enhanced NY licenses extended the license renewal span from five years to eight. Most of our Canadian travel is passing through on our way to Michigan or returning to NY, so there's little likelihood we would need to fly anywhere during the few hours it takes us to cross southern Ontario.

Dutch

Archived