HDT Wrecking Yard Pics.

RandyA

I was back at Eubank Trucks in Richmond, VA this morning to pick up a 150 gallon aluminum Volvo fuel tank to use for heating oil storage. It is always interesting to prowl through a HDT wrecking yard looking at pieces and parts . You can learn a lot about how your truck is put together and what is hidden behind walls, dashboards, etc. I put up a few shots of this same yard drveral years ago when Trey was developing the HDT wrecking yard database.

The General Manager (Larry White) is a great person to deal with and knows his HDT trucks extremely well. You can find just about anything for any year, make or model somewhere in this yard. The "good" Volvo stuff like nice interior items, crash parts and higher option accessories are sold almost immediately upon arrival. You need to check frequently when looking for stuff like that.

You can see about 30 pics I made and put into a slideshow format here.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

and where can we find this list ?

In the Resource Guide or click here.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

O.K. Randy, what else did you find that you couldn't live without????? I know you had to find something in all those parts. Wish I could have gone with you. Charlie

You will just have to wait until we meet up the 16th on the road to Branson :) ,

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

What did they charge you for the tank?

Their "asking price" for good aluminum tanks is $2 a gallon. Steel tanks are $1 a gallon. They will not sell a tank with a significant dent in it - they go to a scrap dealer. I still had the power divider axle I removed from my Volvo that appeared destined to end up at the metal recyclers. I traded the axle for the tank (I kept the brake drums, shoes, cams and cans). I was happy with the deal.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

• 6 months later...

Their "asking price" for good aluminum tanks is $2 a gallon. Steel tanks are $1 a gallon. They will not sell a tank with a significant dent in it - they go to a scrap dealer. I still had the power divider axle I removed from my Volvo that appeared destined to end up at the metal recyclers. I traded the axle for the tank (I kept the brake drums, shoes, cams and cans). I was happy with the deal.

I had zero interest when I tried selling my sliding commercial hitch and divider so I traded them for three good air seats and belts from a local wrecker. I am sure he got a lot more dollar value, but they were of no value to me and were just in my way. Now I will be mounting the three air seats in the rear of the Volvo. I picked up two 15x25 sliding windows from a local RV dealer for $60 each (new - old stock) and will be putting them in the sleeper soon.

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Thanks for the pics. I was thinking you were going to cobble together some tanks for diesel fuel storage since it is so cheap now. Wish I could buy about a 1000 gallons now to use at my choosing. Price is $2.88 here now. Since Pilot is based in Knoxville wonder if we could somehow get a group together of HDTers and broker a large purchase price like the fleets do? May post this as a separate thread- hmm?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Diesel here in Canton, Oh is $3.25 per gallon. And that is a good price. Gas is $2.05. These prices are at the same station. Diesel is more at the Flying J or Pilot. About $0.20 a gallon more. I will not buy their fuel if I can. But that is just me.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

How things change with age?

As "youths" we prowled and drooled in car junkyards, as "senior citizens" we prowl and drool in truck junkyards. Go figure.

Or some of us just drool. ;)

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Phoenix, I have not reached the "drooling" point yet. But, then again, I'm not as old as you are :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Alan,

I have family in North Canton off of Huckleberry Road. Are you near there?

GoldRush,

No. I live south of there. I would pass Huckleberry on my way to work. My street is Faircrest just off of Rt.77.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Phoenix, I have not reached the "drooling" point yet. But, then again, I'm not as old as you are :)

Hmm, I must re-asses, I thought combining "drooling" and "advanced age" would result in moment of levity, not all can see the humor. I also frequently bring up Depends to make certain points, next time I'll take quick look at those gathered around me to see "who is not laughing".

Hmm, I must re-asses, I thought combining "drooling" and "advanced age" would result in moment of levity, not all can see the humor. I also frequently bring up Depends to make certain points, next time I'll take quick look at those gathered around me to see "who is not laughing".

I got it Phoenix :) :)

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived