Ticks!

Hopeful

We are in Northern Virginia. We are here till August. There are ticks everywhere! We have a greyhound and they are very sensitive to any kind of drugs. We have ordered the usual tick and flea stuff, but we hate to use that unless absolutely necessary.

Does anyone know of a "natural" or homemade remedy for ticks. One we can use on our grey AND ON US!

Thanks for your help. Christine

Hopeful, hope to get on the road sometime soon.

We have a Basenji which has many of the same issues that Greyhounds do (both are sighthounds). We do not travel where there are normally ticks, but if you Google "natural canine tick repellant," you'll get lots of hits...some for products you can purchase and some for recipes you can make.

Additionally, PetMD.com has some good ideas for flea and tick control (http://www.petmd.com/dog/wellness/evr_multi_flea_control) and there's an interesting article from DogsNaturallyMagazine.com about ticks (http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/ticks-natural-prevention/).

If the area you are in is endemic for Lyme disease, you might consider getting your dog vaccinated for it (I'd first find a vet, however, who is familiar with sighthounds and find out if this vaccine is safe to give them). Of course, keeping your dog out of high grass where ticks like to hang out will go a long way in reducing infestation. And always check your dog over thoroughly after each trip outside.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Does anyone know of a "natural" or homemade remedy for ticks. One we can use on our grey AND ON US!

Thanks for your help. Christine

In a spray bottle, 2 cups water, mixed with 2 Tablespoons distilled white vinegar.
Add a couple of spoonfuls of citrus oil, or peppermint oil to help with fleas and smell better. (Rosemary is supposed to work, too.) Increase the amount of vinegar proportionately if ticks are not repelled effectively and your pets is not allergic/sensitive. Keep the spray bottle in the frig/cooler.
When outdoors for extended periods, spray this solution on the coat ONLY two to three times per day. When pets are taken outdoors for a qucik walk/run or to use the potty only, spray the solution onto the COAT only once per day. Remember this stuff contains vinegar so stay away from spraying on sensitive areas including eyes, nose, mouth, and genitals.
Usual disclaimers apply. This is what works for my dogs. I live off-grid in the woods of the South and also boondock in the RV. I have four dogs at the S&B.
Hope this helps some-

Our vet recommended we try a Seresto collar on our dogs for ticks. They are expensive, but they will last for 6 to 9 months. And they do work.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Go to one of the Greyhound rescue sites and ask abut there sensitivity to FrontLine. It's is probably the only thing that will give you the results you want. We were recently in an area infested with ticks. Over two days we probably picked 60 ticks off the dogs, in Indiana we just didn't have that problem. Anyway, started using FronLine and we have not had any problems since. Found a few dead ticks but no live ones.

Even thought the area were now in doesn't seem to have a problem I'll probably keep them on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I vote for eradicating ticks too... egads, they give me the creeps.

After trying drops and natural remedies and struggling with fleas and ticks - we caved and got a Seresto collar for our cat Kiki. So far, so good.. she's remained flea and tick free. Unfortunately, they don't make a human sized necklace version, so we've been picking a couple ticks off ourselves lately.

Did I mention.. ick?

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

• 1 month later...

We went on a 3 week trip and stayed several days camping in North Dakota, Minnesota, and Kentucky. My oldest dog got a tick embedded into his eyebrow and I couldn't get the whole thing out. Had to take him to the vet and he prescribed antibotics for ten days. Must be careful of Lyme disease. We paid about $200 for blood tests to test for a variety of tick diseases and thank God he didn't have them but he still got medication because part of the tick did not come out.

Joani & Alberto, 1999 Rexhall Rexair 3550

We named our RV Our Casita and got personalized Idaho license plates "RCASITA" because it is our little house in spanish,

Our two dogs always travel with us, Badger 12 years old & Sheba 6 years old

• 1 month later...

Frontline is a very safe product. I have used it since it first came on the market. I also use it for external parasites on birds. Site hounds are known to be sensitive to certain anesthetics and other drugs, but I have never heard of a breed specific sensitivity to frontline. Any individual animal can be allergic. For ticks, I use it monthly. For fleas, once every 3 months works for me. Your mileage may vary. Greyhounds are lovely companions, BTW.

We have used CedarCide on our yard and pets (natural cedar product). Here is a link to a natural pet products site that carries CedarCide products. http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/CedarCide-Best-Yet-Pest-Repellent-Spray-4oz/550001.aspx

Here is a link to CedarCide http://www.cedarcide.com

My sister uses diatomaceous earth here is a link: http://www.diatomaceousearth.com/diatomaceous-earth-for-pets/

Hope this helps! We have both had success with these products!

Debbie

2000 Volvo 770 Auto Shift/ 2L Custom Hauler Body with Smart Car Air Loader
2011 Smart Passion

2012 New Horizons 42' Custom 5th wheel (New Horizons Ambassadors)

After trying drops and natural remedies and struggling with fleas and ticks - we caved and got a Seresto collar for our cat Kiki. So far, so good.. she's remained flea and tick free. Unfortunately, they don't make a human sized necklace version, so we've been picking a couple ticks off ourselves lately.

Did I mention.. ick?

Buy a couple of collars .... one for each ankle and save the neck for your favorite necklace.

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

• 3 years later...
On 5/26/2014 at 4:24 PM, Technomadia said:

Did I mention.. ick?

link two or thee together should work.

ticks (*).

Archived