Sign in to follow this  
traviscarr

Welcome!

Welcome to the RVillage Escapees Group Forum!

Thank you for joining. The RVillage social network is all about having fun and staying in touch as we travel. It is also a great way to find fellow SKPs as you meander down the highways and byways. Remember to “check in” when you go to Rainbow Parks too.

If you do not know what RVillage is check out this quick clip.

Come join us and your fellow SKPs at http://www.rvillage.com/group/88/escapees-rv-club

SKP Hugs,

Escapees RV Club

Can someone tell us a little bit more about this group? The you-tube link really doesn't tell you much. Is it another version of Facebook or..... ?

I joined and visited there a few times over the last week. Really didn't see much going on to hold my interest, so have dumped it. Others may find it useful, I did not.

Joe

I received this email from the Escapees Club News Update this morning, RVillage sounds like something to take the place of the Escapees Discussion Forum? I copied the discussion forum description from the SKP website to compare?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RVillage
A social network site just for RVers!

rvillageimage.jpgHave you ever wanted to connect with neighbors in various RV parks as you travel? Maybe you're just looking for a few folks to have a BBQ with. Or, maybe you want to know if there are some SKPs staying at an RV park down the road? Well, now you can!

RVillage is a brand new social networking site that is exclusive to RVers that allows you to interact with and meet new friends that you can keep in touch with along the way! It's absolutely FREE to sign up; just log on to RVillage.com and create an account.

The "Groups" section includes dozens of organizations and independent groups. Be sure and join the "Escapees RV Club" network! You'll find Escapees chapters and Birds-of-a-Feather (BOF) groups, and will soon discover that this is an ideal way to easily communicate with fellow RVers and participants in those groups.

We would like to thank RVillage, on behalf of Escapees RV Club, for providing a resource that we can all use and enjoy.

Quote:

"As an SKP member myself, I imagined how amazing it would be to pull up a website and be able to see where my friends are..."

-Curtis Coleman, Founder

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.escapees.com/NonMembers/Knowledge.aspx

Discussion Forum
Want to join the RV community but just don't know where to start? Got a problem and need some help? Want to share your love of RVing with others? Join our friendly and active online RVing community on the Escapees Discussion Forum. With topics like beginning RVing, technical tips and tricks, and sharing the full-time lifestyle, there's always something useful being discussed. Join in

or just read along; it's your choice. Registration is free. The site is open to all individuals interested in RVing.

There are an awful lot of groups that have been created with more every day. Members can create their own group...or groups if they wish.

There can be several groups about the same subject (boondocking for example), but with different names, there can be many (too many?).

The map location function is nice as long as members keep their location updated.

I have been a member since the private beta and it is much better now than when I started. But, they still have a ways to go to make it smooth and useful to many RVers. There is a group for Beta feedback, a good place to read the messages and inform them of what works and doesn't.

It is supposed to be a social network of sorts. A way for people to realize someone else is in the same campground or to find like minded RVes close by. Campground locations work better than using cities since they tell you who else is in a campground,

There are an awful lot of groups that have been created with more every day. Members can create their own group...or groups if they wish.

There can be several groups about the same subject (boondocking for example), but with different names, there can be many (too many?).

The map location function is nice as long as members keep their location updated.

Unfortunately that is the problem travelers are busy traveling and not necessarily staying inside on their computers or smart phones to update locations. When we went full time I did maintain a website of our travels for friends and family but it got to be too much work and not fun any more so I just e-mail to keep in touch as well as the Old Fashion phone call and leave a message if no one is there.

I did try Facebook but the security and privacy made me nervous, I haven't tried Twitter, and I know there are several other similar mediums but I think the bottom line is sound bites. How can you keep in touch without such a time drain? IMHO it is the quality of the contact and not the quantity ie how many friends do you have on your Facebook page?

I believe the HDT's have a where are you? map but it is/was rarely up to date. I subscribe to and moderate several Yahoo groups, though old fashion, it is just e-mail updates though you can go to the group site and read the archives if you want. In my RV groups people just send a short e-mail; "Hey we are at Tom Sawyers RV Park, where are you? anyone nearby?" or Happy Easter we are in California etc. I just broke down in OK City any repair shop referrals?

RVillage sounds like something to take the place of the Escapees Discussion Forum?

NO, it does not take the place of these forums! In fact, if you go to the RVillage Escapees page and click on the Forum button, it directs you here.

The main advantage that I see of using the Escapees RVillage group is simply to locate other Escapees members on the map who may be near you. However, as I mentioned, and as JM mentioned, that relies on each member coming back to RVillage each time they move to change their location...something that probably isn't going to happen with any regularity.

I believe the HDT's have a where are you? map but it is/was rarely up to date.

Yes, but it's not of much use to those of us who don't have HDT's. Plus your comment about it rarely being up to date, will be the same problem that the maps on RVillage encounters. People have more and better things to do than trying to keep a map up to date with their location.

There seems to be a slight lag between page swaps which is a bit disturbing given the newness of the site and number of members. Hope they manage to optimize the database soon. I'll add it to the fast scan sights for now but right here remains home for me.

Greetings... I just wanted to add a little context for RVillage.

Chris and I were involved with the launch (including running focus groups) of this exciting new network. Please keep in mind that it is in 'Public Beta'. That means it is still being actively developed and improved.

RVillage is in no way a replacement for forums and organization like the Escapees Forums. It is simply an additional tool to help assist in finding your friends and making new ones. For instance you can join the Escapee's group(s), and then plot fellow members on the Explore maps.

There's a lot in development behind the scenes to address some of the issues brought up already, including better navigation for the groups and more encouragement for folks to update their locations (or be removed from the map if they haven't checked in awhile).

It's been very exciting to use RVillage since it launched. Just last week we pulled into Tom Sawyer RV Park near Memphis to discover to other RVillager's checked in and we were able to schedule an impromptu Get-Together.

For those that would like additional information about RVillage, here are some prominent bloggers that have written about it in more depth:

http://rvfriendnetwork.com/press-mentions/

And here's our own announcement of it, including why we were so inspired by the concept: Announcing RVillage

We hope you'll give it a shot... and join us in helping smooth out the potential of this endeavor.

Thanks!

- Cherie

I joined, but then asked for my profile to be deleted. It seems like a neat idea, but it's not something I would personally use. Since I am frequently alone with the kids, I am concerned about too much personal location data being available about us. After all, I don't really know who anyone is in real life, know what I mean? Sorry to be a downer. I'm sure it will be a great resource for some, but it's not for us.

We've never had a problem 'socializing' with others in a park, if we felt the need. We just take walks and by meeting folks outside we can see if we want to stop and chat or if they have the same RV manufacturer that we might want to compare notes, or if we see they're a fellow Escapee, we'll stop, or a puppy of interest or a 4x4 vehicle, etc. Personally, we don't have the need to 'follow' folks online, but that's just us. Sometimes we pull into a park and just want to relax by ourselves. We wouldn't want others to look us up and assume that we're seemingly ready to socialize.

I joined, but then asked for my profile to be deleted. It seems like a neat idea, but it's not something I would personally use. Since I am frequently alone with the kids, I am concerned about too much personal location data being available about us. After all, I don't really know who anyone is in real life, know what I mean? Sorry to be a downer. I'm sure it will be a great resource for some, but it's not for us.

Privacy concerns are very valid, and something we personally are concerned with too.

Sometimes, we just don't want our location to be known or we're not in a social mode. One of the features of RVillage is that you can set your location to virtually anything. If it's not an actually RV Park or City, ST - then you are taken completely off the map. So you could set it to 'On Vacation', or 'Out in the Boonies' or 'On a Planet Near You' (or whatever you want) - and your actual location will not be visible to anyone. You're always in control of how much information is shared.

There's also an on-going conversation in the 'RVillage Beta Feedback ' group about privacy - as allowing different levels of privacy is something RVillage intends to add in. Such as, only sharing your location with friends, fellow group members, etc.

I think it’s important to remember the purpose of RVillage. It is aimed at those who want to meet and socialize with others who may be in their local area. If you don’t want to socialize, you are not required to include your location. If RVillage is not for you, no one says you have to use it, but we feel it is an excellent networking tool especially for folks who are interested in striking up new friendships.

Remember, if you have issues with some of the functionality, please go to the RVillage Beta group and let them know. This thread is NOT the place to report problems or share discontent. It is simply a thread to welcome new RVillage users and allow them to say hello back.

I joined a few weeks ago. Already found some friends on it who were hear at North Ranch. I say give it time to evolve. I like the concept only like everything else it will take time.

We are relative new full-timer's, hitting the road last August. (SKP#113433) For several years while we dreamed and planned, we followed this forum and others that gave us a lot of useful information, and some cherished contacts who became friends. That's what these sites are about, I believe; helping like-minded people connect. Thanks.

On 4/22/2014 at 9:07 AM, Kirk Wood said:

Can someone tell us a little bit more about this group? The you-tube link really doesn't tell you much. Is it another version of Facebook or..... ?

The company was given a helping hand at startup with a $250,000 donation from FMCA. I too think it resembles facebook.