RC Flying?

Jimalberta

I don't fly but anyone that does or likes to watch Saturday, Feb. 21st between 10AM and 2PM the Yuma Aero Modelers will be having their airshow off US 95 just north of Fortuna Rd. on Blasiedale Rd. Yuma, AZ. They ask for a $5.00 donation for a car load. A bunch of us here at the park take our chairs and watch. These folks have done a great job with their airfield.

www.yumaaeromodelers.com

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Guys,

Nice to see that there is a group of people that fly R/C planes and copters. I have not flown yet. Waiting for the weather to break here in Ohio. I was thinking about taking a plane or two with me. Maybe I will come across some of you guys. I have built two planes from Dollar Tree foam board. You use foam board and hot glue. There are a couple of places on line showing how to build from scratch. The two places that come to mind are, Flite Test and Experimental Airlines. Do a search on YouTube and sit back and enjoy. The planes that you build are low cost. Some of the planes had GoPro cameras mounted on them.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi all, new to this board and my Wife, Self, 9yr old and 9 month old are 3/4 time campers. We still have a house in Colorado we go home to in the summer :) Anyway, happy to come across this. My Son and I race RC short course trucks and recently he has expressed an interest in a plane. I'm getting him the Sport Cub S for his Birthday in a few weeks. Nothing like another pit to sink money into!

I did get him an RC plane simulator for his I-Pad and he has been using it a lot. We'll see how it transfers over to the real deal?

Randy Charrette

2014 Kodiak 240BHSL

www.pedaladventures.com (our travels)

www.axelproject.com (our non-profit)

The Sport Cub S is a great high-wing trainer, and with their SAFE system very beginner friendly. One note: The SAFE system significantly restricts the control surface throws and may make it impossible to fly against a significant wind without the plane drifting away. So plan your maiden flights for a calm day,which is probably a good idea anyway!!

Best of luck to your son with his new RC Plane.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Want to see some awesome RC models. Here are several SR-71 Blackbirds that fly on twin jet engines. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sr71+rc+plane

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

• 3 weeks later...

If you are visiting Las Vegas there is a great paved RC strip on the north side of Sam Boyd Stadium just off of Boulder. I went there on Sinday March 8 and was very pleasantly surprised by the number and quality of planes and flyers. There was every type of plane imaginable from home made wings and gliders to the expensive jets using smoke. Helicopters, quad copters and even a couple of kids shooting rockets. Very entertaining.

There was a 14 year old kid there who started flying six months ago and he was flying 2 large planes of approx. 8 foot wing span. He was amazing to watch as he was doing things with those planes that you only see on you tube. I asked an old timer there if this kid has only been flying six months what will he be like in 2years? The oldtimer replied...probably a world champion. Vegas has several world champions in the sport presently.

I went on a windless sunday and was very glad I did.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

The Sport Cub S is a great high-wing trainer, and with their SAFE system very beginner friendly. One note: The SAFE system significantly restricts the control surface throws and may make it impossible to fly against a significant wind without the plane drifting away. So plan your maiden flights for a calm day,which is probably a good idea anyway!!

Best of luck to your son with his new RC Plane.

It does limit throws and can get you out of problems. It can also get you into problems very quickly if you forget to turn it off.. Did you you can make lot's of little pieces of foam from big ones with one easy step?? Both of my gyros have a port that you can use a channel on your radio to turn the gyro on or off. I use my landing gear channel to control mine. I really like the gyros and it saved me more than once.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

The last time I commented in this thread I had a cheap heli and was thinking about getting a DJI Phantom. And I DID buy the Phantom (The toy) and have been able to take some great pictures and video. It has scratched that itch nicely. But after staying at a few parks with airfields and visiting a number of them I have developed an itch for a plane.

I have narrowed my choice to a Apprentice or the Cub S mentioned above. I will probably buy one within the next couple months once I know for certain what I want.

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Dave I have the Hobbyzone super cub but I wish I had gone with the apprentice. I think it is a better trainer.

I also recommend a simulator for your computer. It will help a lot.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

Dave I have the Hobbyzone super cub but I wish I had gone with the apprentice. I think it is a better trainer.

I also recommend a simulator for your computer. It will help a lot.

And I think the Apprentice is something that I would be happy flying for a lot longer because of it's abilities. The main thing drawing me towards the Cub is it's size and the ability to fly it in places where we may not be close to a airfield, and that will be very likely through the summer months. I'm thinking the Cub might be a good trainer for the summer and when we get back down south for next winter I would switch to a Apprentice. And a simulator is on my list also.

Thanks for the comments.

Dave & Diane

2018 Ram 5500

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

And I think the Apprentice is something that I would be happy flying for a lot longer because of it's abilities. The main thing drawing me towards the Cub is it's size and the ability to fly it in places where we may not be close to a airfield, and that will be very likely through the summer months. I'm thinking the Cub might be a good trainer for the summer and when we get back down south for next winter I would switch to a Apprentice. And a simulator is on my list also.

Thanks for the comments.

The Apprentice is a significantly larger plane than the the Cub, so storing it in an RV could be an issue. We are full time, so my choice of planes has been significantly reduced by having to be able to stow it during travel. I went directly from a three-channel cub as a trainer to a four-channel T-28 low-wing warbird. Once you get comfortable with the Cub you might want to jump past the Apprentice to something a bit more sporty if that interests you.

And I agree 1000% on the simulator. I've crashed thousands of times on my simulator, and "only" a couple of times with my models in the field. Simulators allow you to work out a whole lot of things without the expense of repairing your planes!!

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

My biggest problem with both the simulator and real life is seeing which way is up on the plane. It gets so small I lose orientation and dont know if the plane is level or banked or inverted. I guess keeping it closer will help.

A 3D simulator would be nice.

My biggest problem with both the simulator and real life is seeing which way is up on the plane. It gets so small I lose orientation and dont know if the plane is level or banked or inverted. I guess keeping it closer will help.

A 3D simulator would be nice.

Me too!! I actually "painted" mine red on the bottom of the wings.

Last year I bought an Ugly Stick (4 channel version) it's a blast to fly and really hard to break...trust me The flight sim does not have an ugly stick with ailerons so I added them and it flies pretty realistically..

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Boy, now the itch for a plane is full on!! We have spent the last week at a RV Park here in Casa Grande Arizona that has an airfield on-site that I have spent hours at watching people fly. I'm amazed at how many Apprentice's there are at the field each day. At one time I think there was 4 in the air at one time, a guy could almost loose track of which one was his LOL!!

I'm also very impressed in how much wind they can fly in, granted landing seemed to be interesting a few times because most had the planes set in beginner, but still I'm impressed in what they could fly in.

Even though I realize I will be restricted to areas I can fly it I think I have decided on the Apprentice , I will just deal with the rest. Heck, we fulltime travel so I can route us in areas with airfields, right?? My wife will never catch on I'm sure.

So question, how many trick ideas have you come up with for storing planes? I noticed some guys with some PVC carriers that could be easily used in the basement while traveling.

Dave & Diane

2018 Ram 5500

When I am traveling, my three larger 44" wingspan planes (added a new one since my January post!) are broken down and back in their original boxes. They are all designed to have their wings removed and taking the horizontal tail off isn't a big deal. I just got a P-51D Mustang that would normally require permanent attachment of the belly scoop to the wing, but I'm modifying it to be detachable so it will go back into the box. When we're set up in an area with flying facilities the assembled planes are arranged in the big storage compartment at the front of our fifth-wheel. This takes some creative arrangement of other things, but keeps the planes assembled and ready to go.

I like traveling with my planes stored in their original shipping boxes as assembled planes get "hanger rash" very easily.

My fourth plane is a little 32" wingspan 3-D plane that can't be taken apart. That one hangs by its propeller in a tall narrow compartment behind the refrigerator. I've got a simple bungee to keep it from swaying around and that plane (which I can fly just about anywhere) is ready to go 100% of the time. I've not had to resort to hanging planes from the ceiling (yet) but that remains a possibility!

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

I want to be able to fly when we are boondocking on the desert.....got to figure out how to take off and land with all those rocks. I'm thinking maybe a ski instead of wheels? Or maybe get myself a hand launched plane or glider. Landing will still be rough .

Skis really only work off of snow or ice.

I hand launched my Super Mini Cub (now discontinued) extensively and belly landed it as well. Didn't put the landing gear on until I'd flown it for over 6 months and finally got to a spot with a paved road I could fly off of. Belly landing into tall grass is the best scenario, but you can also do it onto sand/dirt, especially if you've applied packing tape to the bottom to minimize abrasion. Rocky ground is going to be tough, as hitting a rock will ding your plane at the very least, and potentially damage it at worst. But with these small planes and a bit of practice you can belly land with virtually zero speed and just plop it onto the ground.

If rough or unimproved ground is your most likely scenario I would stay away from a big tricycle gear plane like the Apprentice and consider a smaller tail-dragger like the Hobby Zone Champ. It is a great trainer, lightweight and inexpensive. For $90 you get everything you need to learn, a plane with readily available spare parts, and one that thousands of folks have flown as their first trainer. Downsides are that it won't handle the wind that the bigger planes will, but for a first plane it is perfect.

Good luck!!

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

• 1 month later...

If takeoff space is limited, I handlaunch the Ace Whizard, Lazy Bee, Carbon Cub SS, and Artizan. With a little practice, these can all land in pretty tight spaces. I did install larger tires on the Whizard and Lazy Bee. The Carbon Cub and Artizan are foamies and land very lightly.

Mike & Joan
2006 Volvo 780
2008 KZ Escalade Sportster 41CKS
2001 Honda XR650R
2018 Kymco Spade 150

• 6 months later...

Presently in Quartzsite ...great bunch of guys at the local RC strip every mornng. Added ailerons to my super cub but havent tried it yet.

Since my last post here I bought the Apprentice. We are in Casa Grande now and there is a airfield at the campground that I fly at almost every morning. It's been a great plane so far.

Dave & Diane

2018 Ram 5500

Since my last post here I bought the Apprentice. We are in Casa Grande now and there is a airfield at the campground that I fly at almost every morning. It's been a great plane so far.

I met a gentlemen here at our current location that has had an Apprentice in the box for about three years but had never flown it. He found out that I was an RC flyer and asked if I could help him out. I let him fly on my simulator several evenings and then we took his plane out to the field where I test flew it and then handed it over to him. He has flown it several times now and is hooked!

What a great plane for getting someone started. That beginner mode really does a good job of keeping one out of trouble, but in the expert mode you can do a respectable amount of aerobatics. Good choice!

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

I met a gentlemen here at our current location that has had an Apprentice in the box for about three years but had never flown it. He found out that I was an RC flyer and asked if I could help him out. I let him fly on my simulator several evenings and then we took his plane out to the field where I test flew it and then handed it over to him. He has flown it several times now and is hooked!

What a great plane for getting someone started. That beginner mode really does a good job of keeping one out of trouble, but in the expert mode you can do a respectable amount of aerobatics. Good choice!

Yup, in beginner mode it's pretty hard to do anything real stupid. I only slip it into beginner mode during some landings or take-offs now mainly if it's windy. I fly it in expert even though I'm far from one LOL!!! And yes, the simulator is a great tool. spent about 15 hours on mine before ever flying and I still use it to try new things like rolls, loops or flying inverted and whatever else as I try to learn them before doing them on the plane.

We will be in Q in January & Feb. and plan to visit the airfield there but I'm still new enough that I shy away from flying around crowds and that field does get busy.

The park we are at now has a field and I fly almost every day, we head to Yuma in Dec. and there is a make shift field right outside the park and then to Jojoba in southern Ca. for a month and there is a field right down the road so I plan to get a lot of practice this winter

Dave & Diane

2018 Ram 5500

I've spent the past two summers hosting at a state park with its own flying field. I would get up almost every morning a fly for an hour or two. I have four different planes and would take two or three and fly until I ran out of charged batteries (and I've got a lot of batteries!!). Nothing like flying regularly to get you comfortable and confident.

I bought a collective-pitch (conventional) helicopter at the end of this summer and have been working with that lately. An entirely different animal!! Again, thank goodness for the simulator.

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

I recently got a basic Phantom with a GoPro attachment. Have only flown it once, crashed a couple of times, but no damage to the drone. Looking forward to getting it out again.

Gypsy Journal RV Travel Newspaper

http://gypsyjournalrv.com/category/nicksblog/

Author of "Meandering Down The Highway, A Year On The Road With Fulltime RVers" and "Work Your Way Across The USA, You Can Travel & Earn A Living Too!"

Archived