Now you can have Crossfire AND TPMS

sclord2002

I just placed an order for 4 Crossfire units that will allow me to use my TireMinder TPMS with them. The Crossfire units have been modified with a Schrader tee valve added between the Crossfire valve and each tire hose. This allows the Crossfire to do what it is supposed to do and also allows the TPMS to do what it is supposed to do. As far as I have been able to tell, this is a relatively new development that was pushed by a distributor of PressurePro and Crossfire who wanted the Crossfire to be compatible with TPMS systems. The price was $75.00 per Crossfire and Hose assembly or the hoses and Schrader valve are available separately for $15.00 per hose. I had been researching the Crossfires and had been unable to find compatibility with Stem mounted TPMS systems. I will let you know how they work out when I get them installed. The prices were plus shipping and there is currently a 7 to 10 day backlog on shipping. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Sounds interesting. I am interested to see how you like them after you install them. Some pictures would be great. Is there a link to see some, or maybe you can post some after you receive yours and install them?

Where did you order them from?

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Hi Charlie,

I am also interested in this idea. I have a Crossfire that I want to install on my truck. I have had it for a while. I can finally put my Crossfire on the truck because the other day when I was getting my new steer tires on, the fellows at the tire shop was able to put and extension on the inter dual. With the truck set-up with the short stem I could not get air into the inner dual. Now I can get air in the inner dual. I will try to remember to bring my Crossfire with me to the ECR.

Charlie, please keep us informed.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Can you tell us where you bought them??? Looked for the website and could not find it!!!

Thanks for the update.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

I'm also interested in the outcome. It cuts down on a required TPMS transmitter (only one on each dual, instead of two), and makes airing the pair simple. It should also increase the reliability of the TPMS because the wheel positions that tend to "drop out" - even with a repeater and/or extended antenna - are the inner duals. Plus, having one less sensor per dual position minimizes the risk of a leaking sensor taking a tire out overnight. So I'm hot on this one.... :)

The downside is the same as always, though. If you "lose" a wheel position on a dual you lose them both. Since that would be the exception, I'm willing to risk it for the convenience and safety of the technology.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I had crossfires on my one ton. They are great. The only down side was there was not a great way to mount them near the center. So I had an out of balance issue. But the convenince was great.

2015 Continental Coach

Maybe I'm misunderstanding him, Jack, but I don't think this eliminates a sensor position. The way I'm interpreting what Charlie is describing is that the sensors are now mounted on Schrader valves teed into the hoses between the Crossfire and the respective inner and outer valve stems (downstream of the isolation valves), where the sensors would be reading the individual tire pressures should one fail and the Crossfire isolate the tires.

What that does do, though, is put both sensors on the outside of the outer dual, where they're less likely to "drop out".

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I've been using Crossfires with a single TPMS sensor on the Shrader valve. Loss of air from either tire will result in pressure change enough to trigger the sensor. The Crossfire isolates the leaking tire when the overall pressure drops 10-20 psi. This new development would be nice, but not enough that I'm going to replace my old Crossfires. The hoses are removable, however, so the new ones probably can be substituted for the originals.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I hate iPhone key pads. And I hit send to early. What I meant was "to mount them"

2015 Continental Coach

So, Joel, you have a central fill point and a central (single) place for a sensor that covers both tires....that is just what I want....

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

So, Joel, you have a central fill point and a central (single) place for a sensor that covers both tires....that is just what I want....

Yup; I just use a single TST TPMS on the normal Crossfire fill port. I have my Crossfires mounted on the "high hat" can that covers the axle hub. There wasn't enough length on the wheel stud for the Crossfire flange and the wheel trim wouldn't have let it sit properly anyway. I've had them mounted this way for over a year and there doesn't seem to be a problem. The can is strong enough to handle the slightly offset weight. It did cost me a couple of "baby moons" because the flexing of the can popped them off, but I resolved that problem with some wheel cover tabs.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

docj

Can you send a pic of the install??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2015 Continental Coach

I ordered my Crossfires from Ed Donnelly (sp?) Enterprises at 1-800-774-1944. Please tell him that Charlie Lord told you about him and his "GOOD GUY" price on the RVNetwork HDT site. I think he will be surprised by the number of folks who may be interested in this product. Ed sells PressurePro TPMS and Crossfires and is very well versed on his products. He seems like a real nice guy, also. Give him a call and he will answer any questions you may have. The reason I am so jazzed up on this is that the Crossfire folks said that there was not such a product.......but I found out that there is one, and Ed has it and at a good price. I will try to attach a picture of the unit. Jack, I'm sorry to disappoint you but this unit is set up to use a sender from EACH tire, which was what I wanted. I have heard mixed responses about using only one sensor per dual tire set. He does sell just the hoses if you want to experiment using only one sender. I would be interested in how that works out. I hope to have mine by the ECR in Crossville. Drat, the picture is too big to upload and I'm too dumb to know how to change it..... Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Thanks for the connection. I need to order the pressure pro anyway. So I'll order both from Ed.

2015 Continental Coach

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the Crossfire system negate the need for individual wheel monitors.

If the Crossfire is working properly and you monitor them regularly each pair of tires should be the same pressure until you have a leak at which point the Crossfire isolates each tire after a drop of 10psi. So in my conclusion you should be able to use one monitor on each Crossfire and be able to identify problems before they become serious. If pressures are good in each pair (say 100psi) the single monitor will show 100psi, if you have a leak, pressure will drop until there is a 10psi drop, the Crossfires isolate(you still have a flat or a blowout) and the monitor shows 90psi...indicating you need to check your tires...just like if you had individual monitors showing 90psi. In the mean time you have the added benefit of having pressure matched tires(which last way longer).

Why wouldn't (hasn't) someone already put single monitors on a pressure equalizer system as they just use a Schrader valve to adjust tire pressures.

I have used a system similar to Crossfire (I used Cat Eye) and they do offer a substantial increase in tire life (especially if you keep the pressures maxed out). Mine were on a set of hopper bottom grain trailers and my trailer tires lasted over 50,000km longer than other trailers in the fleet without pressure equalization. We did have occasional problems with hoses coming loose but we just got in the habit of snugging them up at each oil change (about once a month for our fleet). I realize that as RV users we won't put on as many miles but just make it part of your regular maintenance.

So after finding the Crossfire website and seeing different tire pressure listed on the unit, and then looking at Amazon.com for them, I see that you have to order them in the pre-set pressures that you want. Apparently they go down to 80lbs.

My big question to you all is, who amongst you have worn out a set of tires before they were aged out? 20% longer tread life won't change the age factor.

So what am I missing? Single TPMS for each set would be nice, but I don't see great changes in pressure now on a my set that would demand the extra cost. Expanding pressure during braking for the inner wheel?? I try to brake as little as I can, and when I do, does the pressure increase (and then decrease when I'm rolling again) really going to effect the longevity of that tire that will age out quicker than wear out?

Nice concept for fleet or working trucks, but I do in a year what they do in a month! What am I missing, or is this just another toy to have?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Rocky, to me the benefits in my application would be:

1) only one pressure sensor at each dual.

2) better reliability since less chance of a leak from a sensor....I HAVE had one leak a tire down overnight.

3) MUCh easier airing of tires.

OK, so is any of this really worth it - again, in MY application.

1) Well, I have all my sensors, so I'm not really saving much...plus I have to buy the Crossfire.

2) The Crossfire could leak down too....but assuming the "stop" works it will not break the tire bead. This is a rare event - it has only happened to me once in over 10 years of TPMS use.

3) I only air tires about twice a year. Maybe three times....

So, I'm not likely to rush into this....

www.jackdanmayer.com

I started using Crossfires partly to eliminate the extension tube from the inner dual. I had had a leak one time because the extension wasn't tight in the valve and anytime I needed to unscrew the TPMS sensor I worried about the extension loosening. The single fill port for the Crossfire is easy to get to and to put a sensor on. Of course, the Crossfire also provides a nice visual signal that everything is Ok with the pair of tires it is on.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Well how about this. I going to volunteer to be the test bed for an HDT and a fifth wheel.

I'm going yo order a tpms system and the crossfire and test them out together.

What data/ information would everyone like me to gather? I'll document the price , installation and ?.?

Happy Friday everyone.

JC

2015 Continental Coach

As a tire engineer I have trouble understanding the meaningful benefit of having the two tires match exactly for pressure given that tires will heat-up in use which increases the pressure (load capacity) until there is equalibrium.

If you only use one TPM you will not get an automatic warning as 10 psi is not enough to set off most sensors as many are sett for a 15% loss in air pressure. So with no warning you would need to be constantly taking your eyes off the road to read the tire pressure on each pair of duals.

Why are you having leakage problems with extenders but not with crossfire hose connections?

Crossfire only and no TPM will NOT give you a warning of a loss of air while traveling.

Just some thoughts.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

I run the same setup as Joel. I see no real benefit to the two tire sensors, as the Crossfire is keeping PSI even. Except in more rapid air escape situations.

The one thing also that could be a negative to tow sensors, is the inner tires sensor's would be reporting the heat temp of the outer tire.

I manually shoot my tires with infrared temp gun, and the inside duals are still running warmer. Brakes add more heat to the inside wheel.

Like the Crossfires.

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Archived