Texas class A non-CDL license: skills test for 5th wheels

Dranoel

Larry,

My understanding is that you can do the written and driving in different locations, but to be certain, call the Livingston office. Phone # from the net is 936-327-6806. DW and I took our class B yesterday, if you can't pass these you shouldn't be driving anything! Just a PITA.

You can take the test in one location and then the driving test in another location. You need to check, but I believe you have 90 days to complete the test.

Ken

Thanks Dave and Ken. I'll call Livingston after the holidays to see what they have to say.

Larry

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.

Goals: 2022 - Retire from my CG civilian job, sell our house, and begin full-timing.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update....passed the written test two weeks ago, just took the driving test. Both were done at the Livingston, TX location. Nice place, nice people. On the driving test I had to make the right hand turn on 190, as well as, back up, and parallel park the trailer on the side of the road. Not too bad, made it through and got my temporary class A non-CDL license.

Now if I can just get the state of Texas to straighten out my truck title and get me off of these combination license plates, I should be good to go.

I appreciate all of the info on this forum, it is the reason that I went to Livingston to do my tests.

I'm surprised that LIvingston required parallel parking. That is actually the first time I heard of that. Anyone else had to do that at LIvingston?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I wouldn't even attempt to parallel park my rig, even on a driving test. That's just not something that needs to be done, ever. Surely, failing that part of the test doesn't fail you overall.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Txjcfsr: My tractor is licensed as private truck in Polk county. 17k scale weight and has Texas non-commercial inspections done every year. $7.00 and county tacks on $7.00 more.

Dave

DW just said inspection was $14.50 and then $7.00 more

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK 42' fifth wheel

Western Golf & Country Cart (EZ-GO frame)

We were not required to parallel park. Just make the right on to 190, thru town and right onto service road 59 back down to Washington and make 3 left turns off a side street back to DPS.

Took about 20 minutes total.

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

I did the same route, but when I turned left on the side street, I was told to stop in the center of the street, back up and park on the side of the road/shoulder (parallel park), and was told that I was supposed to have to back straight up, but since I did so well on the parking, I did not have to back the trailer straight back. My rig is 59' long, 42' trailer, 17' more on the truck.

Archived