RV dog park etiquette

Dranoel

We've stayed at a few RV parks/campgrounds that have dog runs. I'm always amazed at the owners who take their un-socialized pooches to the run then claim it for themselves by saying something like, "I'm not sure what my dog's going to do [if your dog comes in]," the intent clearly being to make sure that they get sole use of the dog run until they're darned good and ready to leave.

My point here is that dog runs are intended for communal use. If you can't control your animal such that he/she might present a danger to your fellow RVers and/or their pets, please find another place to let Fido run so that those of us whose pups play nicely with others can enjoy our time there!

(Thanks for letting me vent.)

Sally

2014 DRV Mobile Suites 36' RSSB3

2013 Ford F350

http://where-rv-going.blogspot.com

I agree. Keep your pet out of the run if it is not properly socialized. Also, pick up your dog poop.

Last fall we were at a nice RV park with a run and every morning, two women (long term residents) claimed the run as theirs. If I came up to the fence with my dog, their two ankle biters attacked at the fence with a crazy vengeance. All they would say is I guess they don't like your dog. Abby is very well socialized and gets along with all dogs.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

As a dog owner, over the years I have had my dogs (Golden retrievers and English setters) attacked more than once by dogs whose owners claimed that the dog never did that before. These events have happened with dogs running loose and in runs. The last incident cost me $275 in vet bills and severely traumatized my English setter. My dogs are very use to not being loose unless they are hunting so if there is someone else in the run, we go else where. If some one else comes along, we leave and go else where. Fortunately in the areas we like to travel, there is no shortage of BLM and Forest Service Land where I can let them run and never see another person or dog.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Especially if walking a smaller or elderly dog that could be easy pray for an un-socialized dog or pack, carrying at minimum a can of pepper spray to protect your dog and perhaps yourself would be prudent.

"Not sure what your dog will do? That's ok, I have ways to protect my dog and myself"

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website:

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Evergreen Coho SKP on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evergreen-Coho-SKP-RV-Park/563601217103332

We always take our dogs into the dog runs on ther leash until they great each dog that is already there. I have been to one where an owner ask us to wait until he could leash his dog before we entered. Once they were introduced they were fine and completely ignored each other. I guess we have been lucky so far.

...We always take our dogs into the dog runs on ther leash until they great each dog that is already there...

Everyone has to find and decide what works for them. In my experience, a leashed dog is at a considerable disadvantage should it be attacked. If your dog is medium to large as mine are, if you become entangled in the leash you can be injured. I hit the ground hard when a dog ran out of an RV and attacked my leashed 90# Golden as we walked down a campground road. In an instant the leash was wrapped around my legs and took my feet out from under me. I hit the ground shoulder/head first. Another claim of "he never did that before".

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Once again I say, no bad dogs, only bad dog owners. They just don't get it. Dave

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

I think a clarification is needed at least from my reading. Dog Park is a large park area for animals to run and play unleashed. A dog run typically is a really small area clearly intended for the dog to be loose to do his/her business and be picked up by the owner and disposed of properly and leave. The small size of dog run is not of a size for multiple dogs to play though it does say dog run. At least that is my experience and thought might help some not familiar. :) Now there are large dog runs with obstacles course, toys, etc. clearly meant for multiple dogs to run and play. I think some judgment needs to taken as well. I am sure everyone here is talking about larger areas not those so small it is almost crowded with one dog and one person. :D

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

We've stayed at a few RV parks/campgrounds that have dog runs. I'm always amazed at the owners who take their un-socialized pooches to the run then claim it for themselves by saying something like, "I'm not sure what my dog's going to do [if your dog comes in]," the intent clearly being to make sure that they get sole use of the dog run until they're darned good and ready to leave.

My point here is that dog runs are intended for communal use. If you can't control your animal such that he/she might present a danger to your fellow RVers and/or their pets, please find another place to let Fido run so that those of us whose pups play nicely with others can enjoy our time there!

(Thanks for letting me vent.)

Sally

We had a dog attacked and killed here by a german shepherd in the dog run a few weeks ago. As I understand it no actions were taken against either the owner or the attacking dog. I've learned to read dog parks before entering and won't go into if I feel there are aggressive dogs there. To date I have not had that problem in any SKP dog run other than the usual Alpha type argument which usually last lest than a couple of seconds.. However there are people who are afraid of Jin because of his size and he acts like a sheep dog. People jump on my case when we come to the dog park and their laprats charge Jin when we are in the dog runs. Jin has never responded to these ankle biters. He ignores them yet I take the blame because their unsocialized dogs are going crazy. Yesterday I got a complaint over Jin's barking while people parked not far from me have multiple dogs that never stop barking. If yu walk by my trailer and Jin barks at you, come over and say hell. That's all he wants is attention. BTW Jin is kept tethered when outside unsupervised.

As a dog owner, over the years I have had my dogs (Golden retrievers and English setters) attacked more than once by dogs whose owners claimed that the dog never did that before. These events have happened with dogs running loose and in runs. The last incident cost me $275 in vet bills and severely traumatized my English setter. My dogs are very use to not being loose unless they are hunting so if there is someone else in the run, we go else where. If some one else comes along, we leave and go else where. Fortunately in the areas we like to travel, there is no shortage of BLM and Forest Service Land where I can let them run and never see another person or dog.

The last time Jin was attacked was by a doberman in downtown Palm Springs. Tore his face apart and cost $700. My dog is used to being off lead to serve my disability. That is permitted by both federal, state and county law if your dog meets certain requirements. I do not trust other dogs on lead or off until I have had a chance to properly introduce Jin to them. Interesting thing is once Jin meets

Especially if walking a smaller or elderly dog that could be easy pray for an un-socialized dog or pack, carrying at minimum a can of pepper spray to protect your dog and perhaps yourself would be prudent.

"Not sure what your dog will do? That's ok, I have ways to protect my dog and myself"

Pepper spray is a waste of time against an attacking dog. Most of the time you wind up spraying yourself. There are other more effective methods of dealing with an uncontrolled attacking dog.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

Pepper spray is a waste of time against an attacking dog. Most of the time you wind up spraying yourself. There are other more effective methods of dealing with an uncontrolled attacking dog.

"at a minimum" was for those opposed to more lethal options.

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website:

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Evergreen Coho SKP on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evergreen-Coho-SKP-RV-Park/563601217103332

We were at a campground in GA a couple of weeks ago, and I had my 75 lb 14 year old "pup" off leash in the dog park where she and a couple of slightly smaller dogs were busily ignoring each other. A fellow approached the park with a medium sized mixed breed that might have been part rotty or similar, and announced somewhat belligerently that we should probably collect our dogs and leave because when he turned his loose, he didn't know what it would do. The fellow that owned one of the two smaller dogs looked at him and said "Then I suggest you keep your dog out until we're done here." Even more belligerently, the other fellow said "You don't tell me what to do. I live here, and you're just temps passing through," With that the smaller dog owner flipped out a badge case from his pocket, and said, "Do you really want to go there?" The other fellow immediately turned around and walked away with his dog. Our guy then turned around and showed us his badge: "City of Champaign - Crossing Guard"... It's a good thing the tough guy wasn't close enough to read it!

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Nice one Dutch.

Went to the dog run today only there were too many dogs there even though Jin knows them all so we played outside the fence.

"at a minimum" was for those opposed to more lethal options.

I'm not opposed to lethal force if need be and a discussion of the other methods here would only put people without the experience of breaking up dog fights at risk should they try to use them. Usually because after breaking the dogs apart the dog acted against will re-attack even if injured. You may really have to hurt a dog to stop a dog fight although separating them normally works well enoughh.

As for killing a dog there are other consequences to be concerned about as well. Like the other dogs owner, his reaction and what will he do? I've thought about it and what would happen. What if he's armed? Two guys shot it out in Walmart yesterday over nothing. Can you imagine what it would be like between dog owners? Doesn't matter anyway you'll be blamed for everything that went down even if your blind and in a wheelchair. If another dog attacks Jin and I respond for whatever reason I am at fault, been there, done that. And after the action what next? Are you going to hold the attacking dogs owner at bay, under citizens arrest until the cops arrive. I gave up handcuffs when I left the T-rangers.

Best bet is to learn to read dogs and if in doubt get the 'F' out.

Our dog isn't social (we lived on 5 acres so he never had the need to learn) and now he's 15 years old and probably never will become social. If I take him to a small dog run or dog park I only let him play until someone else came to use the run. I would never dream of trying to prevent them from using it...I just collect my furkid and leave.

Adventures Unlimited - Adventure is the pursuit of life!
2012 24' Freedom Elite Class C named FREEDA (FREE Days Ahead)
Towing a 2004 Toyota Tacoma

We've got two Beagles, Bagle and Snoopy. Snoopy was always around our grand kids and is super friendly. OTOH. Bagle the Beagle was always with us usually not around other dogs so he's a grouch. He thinks he owns every place we go and barks to prove it.

Our solution is simple. We never go into a dog pen if it is occupied and we arre always willing to vacate when others approach. Courtesy always applies.

Besides, who can't love Beagle?

Bagle misspelled intentionally and if we got another one we planned to name it locks... But, Snoopy came along for the ride.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

my Jack Russell Terrorist will have to be on a leash at all times. i think we'll pass on the dog runs. he grew up with a pack: other Jacks & two Golden Retrievers, but as a typical Jack, he is "slightly" obstinate. if i call his name, he runs the other way. he plays rough. for some odd reason, none of my cats have done any damage to him (yet), but he could easily hurt a smaller dog just trying to play. a larger, aggressive dog - well, i don't believe in dog-fighting as a sport.

• 3 weeks later...

Morning All,

I am new at this (and by this I mean RVing and being on a Forum)... I have a question, how big a problem are aggressive dogs at RV parks? Part of the reason I am RVing is that I refuse to leave my Dogs. Neither of my dogs are aggressive, one is a rescue that is so timid she just comes and sits by me when other dogs come to the park and the other is a 2 year old Irish Wolfhound, (Giant bundles of love). Reading this thread has made me think that perhaps I should avoid Dog parks at the RV parks completely, I have been raising and training dogs for my entire life and generally read dogs and there owners fairly well.

Never really had a problem in an RV park. Normally the ankle biters will bark at the larger dogs until they get use to them since small breeds tend to be less socialized than larger dogs. There are dogs some that are not socialized enough to mix with. We currently have a corgi and a mini-aussie (Maggie) here that are not well socialized with other dogs. The corgi just barks a lot and runs in circles when another dog gets close but he'll come to me for a scratch. Maggie is 4 yrs and I have been working with her a bit, very sweet she has some major fear issues to overcome and is timid in public hiding from other dogs. Each pair of dogs is different. Jin barks when you walk by because he wants to meet you. Once that's done he doesn't bark when you walk by anymore.

The best thing to do is ask the owner if the dogs can meet. The way is to let the dogs greet with a loose a leash as possible. Jin works on a 15ft leash so I can let him close in yet pull him back if the dogs don't like each other. Tight leashes introduce leash aggression. Another thing to remember is that some dogs will get into a tiff, an alpha argument. It doesn't always happen immediately and should last less than a few seconds and generally speaking it never happens again between to particular dogs. The best thing to do after such a tiff is to let them greet each other again. Watch for lip curls, staring and nose to nose. That's not good. A small dog that repeatedly charges and barks at a larger dog is asking for trouble so steer clear of them. There is one dog here that charges Jin every time we walk by so we avoid it. Oh yeah, and if it;s a small dog that starts the argument and your large dog responds in defense you can be sure that your dog will be blamed. That's why I leave the dog run when there are more than 4-5 small dogs.

Thank you for sharing the information Ranger,

I enjoyed your training video of Jin.

I take my pups to the Dog park at home, we haven't had any issues, however when a dog arrives that I am unsure of I usually call it quits and take my guys for a walk around the lake.

My pups and I are headed out for our shake down trip, the first in a group of training opportunities for the pups,

Thanks again,

• 7 months later...

Our 18# mutt is leash aggressive, but fine when he is loose. He always tries to be the boss, including with our son's 2 sixty pounders. But if the other dog isn't buying it, he is ready to play, instead. I always look for places outside the parks where he can run for a while each morning. He is very high energy and plays a lot nicer with friends if he gets a chance to run his excess energy off.

Archived